Which turbo for the 1/4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which turbo for the 1/4?

let me see if i understand what you're saying. he wants 12.0 quarter mile - say 500 hp. a T3/T61 is $836 and will easily make 500 hp...good for 11.5-12.0 seconds. you're suggesting he start with a bigger turbo (T4/T67 is $1025) that is capable of 800 hp, but only use it to make 500 hp. but since it spools so much slower than the T3/T61, he should get ball bearings to help it spool faster. T4/T67 bb $1385...plus cooling lines ~$125. so for his 500 hp, he should spend over $1500?!
    http://www.full-race.com/catalog/ind...9afcf90f901730

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthr...&page=13&pp=25
    scroll down to dtjazz's post. the borg warner S258 spooled fast enough for autocrossing and made 588 whp.

a gn with a T3/T61, pnp heads, 206° cam, 3000 stall, headers, 3" exhaust ran 10.84 seconds at 24 psi. you don't even need to touch your heads. buy a stattama stage 1 turbo cam, headers, a good set of slicks, and get a really good tune. you should be comfortably in the 11s on pump gas. sub frame connectors, torque arm and lower control arms will help plant the power. the bmr stuff will run $715.
    http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/camaro-suspension.html

Comment

if it was that easy for us 3.8 F-body owners to get into the low 12's and 11's, why is there only ONE member that has ever done it??

O in which by the way, he has a T70 ;)
      Juiced Rally Red 98 A4<br /><br />Way too much to list....<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263415\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263415</a>

Comment

A GN is not a 3.8 Camaro/Firebird :)

Comment

^ true, but the motor used is the older brother to the motor we use. and thats the point i think. all around the series II is a better motor but, it didnt come turbocharged.

it should be even easier for us series II guys, when you think about the flow number improvements and everything that was changed between the series I and series II.

in response to kidcamaro... it is that easy, its just expensive because the aftermarket for the 38 is not as vast as we would like it to be. therefore we are not provided with huge amounts of companies all offering the same thing for a cheaper and cheaper price. we gotta pay over 4G's for a turbo kit. gotta pay over 3g's for a supercharged set up. **** for the 3800 costs too much. thats why when people ask about going fast, everyone tells them to do a v8 swap.

Comment

for stock motor

T60-1 or T60-2 or T61 or T62 (turbonics and garret) the MP-T70 is a little big for stock car

also your going to need valve springs.... ask shodown about that
            www.turbov6camaro.com
            1997 3800 Series II Camaro
            4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
            7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
            11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

The only people in this thread that should be giving advice are guys who have or had turbo V6 Fbodies and that have been to the track.

If you dont have a turbo V6 Fbody, you can throw out all the numbers and speculate all you want but unless you have tried it yourself...GTFO.

BTW, dont post threads from Supra forums, they dont compare to ours cars at all. It doesnt take 500 HP to run 12's :rolleyes: Drag racing is NOT all about horsepower; its a combination of HP, torque, power to weight ratio, power curve, suspension setup, traction/launch, gear ratio etc...

And no its not that easy rdrr96. Its easier for GN guys becuase they have 20 years of R&D and continuity of what to do and not to do. We dont have that. We have people like Viper, KidCamaro, Tease, Tueful Hunden, HAZ-Matt, TurningFast and a few others testing different things and letting us know how it worked. From there we can learn from their mistakes/victories and make some continuity. Right now, nothing is a "sure thing" to get turbo v6 Fbody car into a certain time bracket, within a second, but thats about it. Not to mention all people mentioned above are not sponsored teams or shop cars with tons of money/time to back them up like the GN guys had and still have.
              Last edited by Shodown; 12-15-2007, 04:27 PM.
              sigpic
              1997 Camaro RS A4
              2006 Chevy Colorado
              2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo V6 Camaro
                for stock motor

T60-1 or T60-2 or T61 or T62 (turbonics and garret) the MP-T70 is a little big for stock car
                To the OP...there is your answer :)

/thread
                sigpic
                1997 Camaro RS A4
                2006 Chevy Colorado
                2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

Garrett GT3582R is about the best match I've been able to find based on flow and pressure ratio (I'll be looking for 15-17 psi or about 2-2.2 pressure ratio). I don't know of anyone who is using this turbo, but from the information I've been able to find, it looks like a very good fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Black98Fivespeed
                    Garrett GT3582R is about the best match I've been able to find based on flow and pressure ratio (I'll be looking for 15-17 psi or about 2-2.2 pressure ratio). I don't know of anyone who is using this turbo, but from the information I've been able to find, it looks like a very good fit.
                    i know one guy using a 40R on his car......... made 450 RWHP on stock motor too :)
                    www.turbov6camaro.com
                    1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                    4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                    7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                    11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Originally posted by Shodown
                      The only people in this thread that should be giving advice are guys who have or had turbo V6 Fbodies and that have been to the track.

If you dont have a turbo V6 Fbody, you can throw out all the numbers and speculate all you want but unless you have tried it yourself...GTFO.

BTW, dont post threads from Supra forums, they dont compare to ours cars at all. It doesnt take 500 HP to run 12's :rolleyes: Drag racing is NOT all about horsepower; its a combination of HP, torque, power to weight ratio, power curve, suspension setup, traction/launch, gear ratio etc...

And no its not that easy rdrr96. Its easier for GN guys becuase they have 20 years of R&D and continuity of what to do and not to do. We dont have that. We have people like Viper, KidCamaro, Tease, Tueful Hunden, HAZ-Matt, TurningFast and a few others testing different things and letting us know how it worked. From there we can learn from their mistakes/victories and make some continuity. Right now, nothing is a "sure thing" to get turbo v6 Fbody car into a certain time bracket, within a second, but thats about it. Not to mention all people mentioned above are not sponsored teams or shop cars with tons of money/time to back them up like the GN guys had and still have.
                      100% correct...

I have tried 3 different turbos...first one, was a ****ty ebay T70...that turbo SUCKED...Then I had the MP t70, sold that to Showdown and upgraded to a ball bearing T72....Both the MP T70 and T72 are awesome turbos. If your on a money diet, i would go with the MP T70...it performed awesome for how much they cost...i have no complaints about it. Either way, I was happy with both turbo's. However, I did notice a huge improvement in top end pull with the T72...but its far more expensive and i bought it already custom built.

Theirs many ways to make a fast turbo 3.8.....and theirs a handful of us, trying different setups, taking our cars to the limits....just within the last year, there have been a few of us that have done things that others said we never could...and that will continue happening as long as theirs people out there like us that will take that extra step.

and once again...a GN IS NOT a 3800 series 2.
                      Juiced Rally Red 98 A4<br /><br />Way too much to list....<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263415\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263415</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Kidcamaro98
                        yah...and thats T61 with a T3 flange is prolly, nearly maxed out around 23-25psi....I would make the same power as him a ton PSI lower....

My T72 is a custom built turbo. Its a T4 flanged, Ball bearing turbo. .58 hotside and a .72 A/R...3" V-band exhaust outlet. I see Full boost @ 3500rpms.... which that T61 prolly see's it at nearly the same.

If you have a turbo thats BUILT to match your car, it should work properly. In this case, It works awesome on mine. I have been through 3 turbo's and this is by far the best performing one i have ever had, hands down.
                        Misinformation Kidcamaro...the flange or footprint is very negligible in terms of power; at least in this context...the housing on the aforementioned PT61 should be considered just as you have considered yours...
                        also except you cannot find a turbo listed on the shelf on said company it can then be considered "custom"...

Originally posted by Shodown
                        BTW, dont post threads from Supra forums, they dont compare to ours cars at all. It doesnt take 500 HP to run 12's Drag racing is NOT all about horsepower; its a combination of HP, torque, power to weight ratio, power curve, suspension setup, traction/launch, gear ratio etc...
                        ...Are you saying that the 3800FWD guys cannot give advise either...your points in terms of combination is very valid...no sure about why I have to drag my car to give compelling points. BTW to the OP, this has been done almost 4-5yrs ago...100% agree with Andrew (turbov6camaro) point...and FWIW, is generally a good idea to start with a 'smaller unit' to get a feel; even add a stockish engine and move up from there. It is a stage...rather than throw stuff that you think might work. Most of the names mentioned"Viper, KidCamaro, Tease, Tueful Hunden, HAZ-Matt, TurningFast" have good ideas you can follow as long as you stay objective...
                        THE ORIGINAL 3800SII turbo...<b><i>NOW SERIES-III</i></b>

Comment

I've been paying attention trying to wade through the bull**** and listen to who I think knows what they're talking about. I don't really want to go through "stages" and just throw money at it that I'm eventually going to replace. I want to get to the end result using as little money as possible and give or take with deals I come across. But thanks guys, I'm getting that turbo from Injected. We'll see how it does.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo V6 Camaro
                            i know one guy using a 40R on his car......... made 450 RWHP on stock motor too :)
                            Woo! I wasn't completely wrong! :banana:

Comment

My turbo will be perfect for your goals in my opinion. And I'm not just saying that since I sold it!

Comment

chris(shodown is right)

500hp can put a fully streeable camaro in the 10s

and a 4wd truck in the 13s.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X