This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some one explain this to me. Please

Doesn't seem all that hard to do it the right way, it's crazy to cheap out on the systems that protect your engine after dumping a bunch of money into a built motor. I'd want to do everything possible to protect my investment.

Comment

I just read something about how getting oily vapors into your intake manifold is bad. Then someone described how the PCV pulls those same vapors into your manifold so they get to your combustion chambers. Maybe I didn't read enough but it all sounds contradictory to me.

I'm really not trying to be biased because I do run a blocked PCV and just a breather but it just seems as if I'm re-routing those vapors elsewhere (open atmosphere) rather than back into my engine to be burned. However, the vapors are not being pulled out since it's not integrated into the intake manifold via the PCV.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Atrum Rosa View Post
        Doesn't seem all that hard to do it the right way, it's crazy to cheap out on the systems that protect your engine after dumping a bunch of money into a built motor. I'd want to do everything possible to protect my investment.
        true, but can you find one person on here who has complained about running into problems because of blocking the PCV and running a breather?
        Dave:
        00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
        97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

The pcv system was added to cars as an emission device. Instead of dumping the vapors into the atmosphere they are sucked back into the motor to be burned. The tubes running under the car were basically exhaust pipes used to keep the fumes out of the car. Remember also when the car is in boost the pcv is shut off blocking any fumes from escaping on the one side. When using two breathers the vapors are released to the atmosphere not stored in the crankcase. I know this from experience and the fumes I breath when the windows are down. On a cold day you can see the vapors escaping from the breathers. I don't know what damage is done to the motor or how you could prove it but I'm sticking with my breathers.

Comment

Did anyone bother to read the link I posted? :mad:

The PCV does control emissions, but way more that that. The Positive Crankcase Ventilation system - NOT Pollution Control Valve - removes acid vapors and other "****" that will damage the internals over time - from the crankcase.

Using a breather is 1960s tech - why do you think engines were shot @ 60,000 miles back then? A major reason was the crankcase breather sucked, and got oil all over the engine and bay. I know - drove them.

Modify the PCV system so it still does it's job properly.
            Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post

The PCV does control emissions, but way more that that. The Positive Crankcase Ventilation system - NOT Pollution Control Valve - removes acid vapors and other "****" that will damage the internals over time - from the crankcase.

Using a breather is 1960s tech - why do you think engines were shot @ 60,000 miles back then? A major reason was the crankcase breather sucked, and got oil all over the engine and bay. I know - drove them.

Modify the PCV system so it still does it's job properly.
              Cars in the 60's had pcv systems and I also had a 65 Ford Galaxie with over 150,000 miles on it and it still ran strong. I agree the motors nowadays are far more superior because of engineering and technological advances but the pcv valves were not the cause of engine failures or wear in the 60's.

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
                yes!

Originally posted by 3.4grapeofwrath View Post
                Cars in the 60's had pcv systems and I also had a 65 Ford Galaxie with over 150,000 miles on it and it still ran strong. I agree the motors nowadays are far more superior because of engineering and technological advances but the pcv valves were not the cause of engine failures or wear in the 60's.
                Agreed.

If I had to do it again, I would do it the same way I did the last 2 times...
                Dave:
                00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
                97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

What you do to your own engine is up to you all - BUT it does not change the FACT that disabling the OEM Positive Crankcase Ventilation system is NOT good for the engine.

What our PCV system needs is a better way to remove the airborne oil from the gases - that is where a separator comes in.
                  Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X