This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some one explain this to me. Please

So as you may know, once my motor is done being built i will be boosting my car. Ive seen alot of turbo cars with (catch cans) and i see them on ebay al the time.

Can you help me with these questions cause i just cant understand even when i look them up:

What are they,
    What do they do,
    Whats their purpose,
    Do i need one,
    If so how do i install,
    or anything else you can suggest with them please let me know thanks.

Re: Some one explain this to me. Please

It's just to reduce the chances of blowby. But in our case you can just plug the hole on your TB that leads to your PCV.

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
      It's just to reduce the chances of blowby. But in our case you can just plug the hole on your TB that leads to your PCV.
      yeah i just read that on a catch can description and it said to catch everything coming from the pcv, and i was all hey we block ours off so we actually wouldnt need one lol.

Comment

When u block the pcv and put a breather on the valve cover you begin pumping oil vapors into the engine bay. You risk pulling these vapors into your turbo and effectively shortening the life of your engine. Plumbing the catch can into your valve cover separates the oil from the air. Do you have to have it? No. But at $30 its pretty cheap insurance.

Comment

Just block the PCV and throw a valve cover breather on and call it a day! :)
          Dave:
          00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
          97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by techsan23 View Post
            When u block the pcv and put a breather on the valve cover you begin pumping oil vapors into the engine bay. You risk pulling these vapors into your turbo and effectively shortening the life of your engine. Plumbing the catch can into your valve cover separates the oil from the air. Do you have to have it? No. But at $30 its pretty cheap insurance.
            So your saying use one right? How do i tie it in instead of the breather put a tube to the catch can? and thats it?

Originally posted by dmw319 View Post
            Just block the PCV and throw a valve cover breather on and call it a day! :)
            Nothing will happen over time right?

Comment

NO - NO - NO

Do it right.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/11059703-post70.html

Removing the PCV system WILL damage the engine over time.
              Last edited by FirebirdGT; 07-26-2011, 10:34 AM.
              Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

^im pretty sure they just contradicted eachother lol

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
                  NO - NO - NO

Do it right.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/11059703-post70.html

Removing the PCV system WILL damage the engine over time.
                  Originally posted by whitdog54 View Post
                  ^im pretty sure they just contradicted eachother lol
                  OMG im so confused everyone has told me to do the pcv mod, ssms has ran his with it done for the longest time. And that diagram just confuses me

Comment

Originally posted by Unique96Camaro View Post
                    So your saying use one right? How do i tie it in instead of the breather put a tube to the catch can? and thats it?
                    You might as well. If you dont put one on now you can always add it later. You would use a valve cover breather like this one:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPECT...Q5fAccessories
                    And a oil catch can similiar to this:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...Q5fAccessories
                    Then simply run a hose between the two.

Comment

I have ran my car for almost 10 years with a plugged PCV and breather with no problems, using a catch can would just be up to you , you don't need it right away or if any.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I run a turbo pushing 15 lbs of boost and have done so for over 10 years.
                        I eliminated the pcv and run two breathers. The water and some of the oil vapors will escape to the atmosphere. Most of the oil vapors will be stopped by the mesh material. I've never had a problem with the engine.
                        The pcv will also add unwanted heat into the intake manifold.

Comment

Here we go again.

Disabling the PCV system is NOT good for the engine.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59340

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=103164

You ARE damaging the engine - PERIOD. BUT - the oily air DOES need to be cleaned before returning to the UIM.
                          Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by techsan23 View Post
                            You might as well. If you dont put one on now you can always add it later. You would use a valve cover breather like this one:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPECT...Q5fAccessories
                            And a oil catch can similiar to this:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...Q5fAccessories
                            Then simply run a hose between the two.
                            ah see that helps

Comment

I've ran both of my boosted motors for over 50k each blocking the PCV and adding a valve cover breather and they never skipped a beat. Seems to be a consensus from most of the boosted guys on here with these motors. Sure.. it may take some life off the internals wayyyyyyy down the road. but who cares? we are boosting are cars afterall its not like were going for a record to see how long we can go on stock internals.
                              Last edited by dmw319; 07-27-2011, 07:48 AM.
                              Dave:
                              00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
                              97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X