removing transmission - bellhousing bolts - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

removing transmission - bellhousing bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: removing transmission - bellhousing bolts

Jacking up on the Kmember will lift the whole car - look what it connects to - the body of the car. ;)

Look just infront of the kmember... you'll see your power steering rack, and above that a pulley - at 6.9", it's the biggest pulley in your engine bay :D - look stick a 2x4 between that pulley and the powersteering rack.. jack up on that 2x4.

Doing this will tilt the engine, using the motor mounts as piviot points.

Just an FYI, you can also find me on AIM as PathogenNOS. :D

Comment

Hmm. The T5 must be a LOT smaller than the Auto trans. I just let the weight of the transmission pull the back side of the engine down far enough to get a long (30" in my case, 1 long and 1 medium extension) and a u-joint adapter on the 18mm (NON deepwell) socket to get the upper 4 bolts out.

Same story getting them back in.

I don't know how it is on the auto, but on the manual (98+ w/ internal slave anyway) you cannot remove the transmission without removing the bellhousing with it unless you destroy the slave cylinder. (Internal slave has to be unbolted from the trans to get the bellhousing off the trans)

I have decided that whichever engineer thought an internal slave cylinder was a good idea deserves a swift kick in the pants. Turned a 45-90 minute job into a 2-week after work job! (Grrrr!)

Comment

well i unbolted the crossmember like thing that holds the exhaust pipe and driveshaft, and it tilted the tranny back a good bit, but it still isnt enough.

i can see the bolts from behind the tranny now, but i have no idea how im going to get a socket on them. are you supposed to try to hit the bolts from 4 feet away and magically get the socket on them? im lost..
        1999 v6 Camaro M5
        Automatic to Manual converted
        Pacesetter Headers, 2.5" Custom True Duals with X-Pipe and Magnaflow Bullet Muffers,
        !cat, Intake, 3.42's with LSD, MSD Wires, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Short Shifter, Tuned PCM

Comment

yeah pretty much

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

No disrespect meant but I really think you need to find someone in your area that knows how to do this for help or do it for you before you get hurt or get the trans out and can't get it back in.

Brian
            sigpic

Comment

ok turns out it was my y pipe that was the other thing that wasnt allowing the trans to tilt, once i un bolted that the trans tilted enough to see the rest of the bolts, i used 1 24 inch extension and no swivel and i had them all out in about 5 mins. awesome.

but heres the problem now, ive pryed the trans off the engine, but its still just magically hanging there, whats holding it there? ive pried likes theres no tomorrow, ive bounced it up and down, tied a rope and pulled it from behind, etc. it just wont budge.
              1999 v6 Camaro M5
              Pacesetter Headers, 2.5" Custom True Duals with X-Pipe and Magnaflow Bullet Muffers,
              !cat, Intake, 3.42's with LSD, MSD Wires, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Short Shifter, Tuned PCM

Comment

It's called the torque converter. GO back and read the whole thread.

Brian
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442
                  It's called the torque converter. GO back and read the whole thread.

Brian

i read all the replies many times before making that post, meaty said they dont have to be removed, and if they do, i dont know where they are. ive been studying the transmission for the past few mins.
                  1999 v6 Camaro M5

Comment

i had that problem too with the trans not comming off. but there is nothing phiscally holding the trans to the verter so the trans will push out

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Originally posted by Meatyshells
                      i had that problem too with the trans not comming off. but there is nothing phiscally holding the trans to the verter so the trans will push out

hmm thats really weird. well i guess ill wait till i have a friend with me and try to yank it out together =\
                      1999 v6 Camaro M5

Comment

got it out by myself! had to dremel through the oil cooler lines, which was probably a bad idea, but at least its out. wooo
                        1999 v6 Camaro M5

Comment

lol i felt the same way. dont worry about the oil cooler lines, you dont need them

Comment

ok im having trouble wit the torque converter bolts now, i couldnt get the inspection cover off but its bent out of the way. is there an easy way to get these bolts off? the wrench just wont fit right on the bolt because theres not enough clearance for it to sit flat. any ideas?
                            1999 v6 Camaro M5

Comment

Is the starter off?
                              sigpic

Comment

no, and it didnt have to be. i got the bolts off. just had to have a good combo of the right angle and a really long pipe to put on the wrench to get leverage. had them off in about 5 mins once i figured that out. its all about the learning curve :D
                                1999 v6 Camaro M5

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X