removing transmission - bellhousing bolts - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

removing transmission - bellhousing bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing transmission - bellhousing bolts

wow, well i started my conversion yesterday and its been non stop annoying, but im enjoying it. so far ive removed the torque arm, drive shaft, and shifter assembly, and its time to remove the transmission but im so lost as to what to do.

i unbolted the 2 bottom bolts on the bellhousing, the ones that connect to oil pan bracket. i can see 1 bolt on each side of the tranny, but that leaves 4 bolts. i dont see how im gunna get this off if i cant even SEE the bolts :tdown: i tried lowering the tranny onto a jack, but that didnt really work ( possibly because the jack stands are underneath the front wheel axles?)

any help/advice/pity is appreciated, i took some pics but their not the best, but if you need a reference of WTF im doing, i can post them.

thanks
    1999 v6 Camaro M5
    Automatic to Manual converted
    Pacesetter Headers, 2.5" Custom True Duals with X-Pipe and Magnaflow Bullet Muffers,
    !cat, Intake, 3.42's with LSD, MSD Wires, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Short Shifter, Tuned PCM

Re: removing transmission - bellhousing bolts

gl, only way i got them was with the motor and trans totally out of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by UDLOSE98
      gl, only way i got them was with the motor and trans totally out of the car.

yeah thats my subconscious fear i have going on currently :tdown:
      1999 v6 Camaro M5
      Pacesetter Headers, 2.5" Custom True Duals with X-Pipe and Magnaflow Bullet Muffers,
      !cat, Intake, 3.42's with LSD, MSD Wires, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Short Shifter, Tuned PCM

Comment

only way i can think to do it in the car is to un bolt the motor mounts, and slide the entire enige/trans assembly forwards, of course then....when the trans does come free.......your f'd, so scratch that.

Comment

i was able to get to them fine from the front of the car, but i had the upper intake and fuel rail etc off of the car..
          Dave:
          00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
          97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

i believe quite a few people have got it off without having to do anything except tilt the transmission back, but ive gotta be missing something..
            1999 v6 Camaro M5

Comment

hmm, thinking about it, couldnt i just unbolt the 4 bolts holding the bellhousing to the transmission? that would give me alot of room to get the bellhousing off the engine.
              1999 v6 Camaro M5

Comment

Originally posted by dmw319
                i was able to get to them fine from the front of the car, but i had the upper intake and fuel rail etc off of the car..
                I cant reach mine with the manifolds gone, not even the heads.

Comment

Everytime I've removed a trans, reaching the top two bolts required the use of the longest extention in existance. There's a chance that if you run your hand up along the top of you trans, you'll be able to feel them... probably hidden behind a wiring harness-loom thing.

*The top of your bellhousing is flat and there's a bolt on each end.

... This bolt, that bolt... and the flex plate bolts (put car in Neutral and turn crank to reach the three flex plat bolts. ....

Silly question ... did you remove the inspection cover from the bottom of your auto? Gonna need to do that to get to the converter.

Comment

Ryan. did you grenade your old tranny or are you just upgrading.. I greneded my old one and am looking for a new tranny. you sell yours yet?
                    Mystic Teal Metallic
                    ET:15.1 NA 14.3@96 MPH 75 Dry Shot

Comment

I did it with a 5-speed, probably easier... But I just used and assload of extensions. I reached it from the tail of the tranny

Comment

Originally posted by teal99camaro
                        Ryan. did you grenade your old tranny or are you just upgrading.. I greneded my old one and am looking for a new tranny. you sell yours yet?

nope nothing wrong it, but it does have like 138k on it. you interested if i can get it out? (lol)
                        1999 v6 Camaro M5

Comment

hmm ok so yeah something weird is going on, i unbolted the cross member and the tranny down with a jack, but i accidentally let the jack down all the way and the tranny just hung there, no problem. is that natural? im thinking the Y pipe is holding it there, but idk. i also got behind the tranny and looked at the bell housing bolts with a light, but all i see is the holes and theres no bolts in them (WTF?). i really need some help.
                          1999 v6 Camaro M5

Comment

make sure your driveshafts out?

Comment

Did you remove the converter bolts? that's kinda important

There are two (maybe just one) dowl pin hole in the bellhousing. Sometimes bellhousing bolts fall out, but it's not that often.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X