Keep 3.08 with a turbo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Keep 3.08 with a turbo?

Go to howstuffworks.com look up camshafts, limited slip, differentials, automatic transmissions. Even 4 cycle engines if your unsure.

typically, turbo cams have intake lift and duration bigger than exhaust.
    Nitrous and blower have bigger exhaust than intake.
    N/A usually has around the same intake and exhaust.
    (^Very generalized)

Comment

Yeah, I've been there awhile back. I understand the camshafts and stuff now. What I don't exactly understand is why the exhaust lift would be less with a turbo. To me it would make sense to get rid of as much burnt air/fuel as possible. But I suppose if theres overlap the turbo can help expell that as well. Eh, how am I doin? Do I at least sound like I know what I'm talking about?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I took this from Cam King @ LS1tech.com:

As for the air that passes through on overlap, unlike a N/A engine, this air is not wasted because it helps spin the turbo.
        As for pressures in the exhaust, this is where most people get screwed-up.
        As the air is exiting through the exhaust port into the turbo, the pressure gets pretty high. As the piston slows down toward TDC, the pressure in the cyl drops. The turbo is still spinning and trying to pull the air out. This drops the pressure in the port which dropps the pressure in the cyl. At the time the intake valve starts opening at overlap, the boost pressure in the intake port is higher then the pressure in the cyl. This causes the intake air to flow into the cyl.
        Reversion happens when the exhaust duration/lift is too small. The exhaust doesn't evacuate the cyl quick enough, and when the intake valve opens at overlap, the pressure in the cyl is still higher then the pressure in the intake port.

When looking at pressures, you need to look at the pressure differentials.
        The pressures in the exhaust on a turbo engine with 30lbs of boost may be high, but not compared to the pressures in the intake port and the cyl.

Believe it or not, back pressure is a much bigger issue with N/A mufflered engines

*I couldn't explain it much better. *

Comment

Makes sense to me. Never entirely thought of pressure differentials but it's totally clickin in my head.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Ya some of this stuff is pretty amazing when you see how it all works for the first time.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
              Hello everyone!
              by Andy H
              Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
              3 weeks ago
            • 3.4 slow to go
              hey there strangers!
              by 3.4 slow to go
              been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
              4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X