Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep 3.08 with a turbo?

I sent Stattama an email..

Hi, i've got a Turbonetics t3/t4 60mm ball bearing turbo, stage 5 turbine .63 a/r on it's way for my 3.8 98 Camaro, I know hardly anything about Cam grinds when it comes to turbos. So, what's the best Camshaft I could get for this turbo. I'm looking to get a better gear ratio other than the stock 3.08 and a higher stall. I'm either getting Abbot heads or just getting the stocks ported and polished. This car is only going to be used for travel to a 1/4 track and of course racing.

Thank you so much for your time.
    ~Dustin

And their reply..

Dustin- I would recommend our ST1 cam if you are looking for easy tuning and good power up to 6000 RPMs. If you plan to push your car harder and don't mind a little tuning, the ST2 cam will increase top end power and works well up to 6300 RPM.

I would keep the stock gearing, because turbos spool based on engine load, not so much RPMs. With an automatic, you should be getting boost off the line easily with that turbo. I also wouldn't go crazy on the stall speed. I'd go 3200 max with that turbo.

I recommend investing on a good intercooler system and free-flowing exhaust after the turbo, or even an electric cutout.

-Matt

I'm posting this here because of the gears.. It'd be awesome if I could just keep the stock 3.08 in there.. way cheaper too.. but is that seriously a better idea since I'm goin turbo? This is a shock to me.

TEAM C6V6

Re: Keep 3.08 with a turbo?

yea. Most turbo guys stay at 3.23 and don't go above 3.42

Comment

No crap? Wow that makes me happy. So would any ratio changes help or would that be just a waste?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I dunno...you'd probably have to look around in the FI forum for that answer. All I know is that I haven't seen a fast turbo car with anything higher than 3.23s

Comment

Ah well, thanks for leadin me in the right direction.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

but are you peg leggin it with the 3.08's?

Comment

yes.. so eh, is it easy to install an LSD or should I just get a new rear end anyways?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

i have damn near the same set up that you are working towards. the stattama stage 2 is a nice cam it is what i have but it has alot of overlap. not something that is wanted too much for turbo's especially big ones. if you are jsut going to race it go stage 3 cam. stay with the 3.08 gears. my setup i know on the street it isn't untill mid third i hook. i know this is supposevly track only car but trust me higher gears just means less traction unless you have alot of money to put into a adjustable track bar and soem good coilovers with a good tire. and definatly lsd. just install the lsd since if you get a new carrier with ring gear you will have to get a new pinion and set up the whole rear end. jsut do an install with something like a tru trac. if you are thinking some serious power you might want to think gear set though. the 7.5'' ring gear hates life when there is a decent amount of power and so do the rear axles. these are a few things i have ran into. hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by jrocstar
                  i know this is supposevly track only car but trust me higher gears just means less traction unless you have alot of money to put into a adjustable track bar and soem good coilovers with a good tire. .
                  Gears for a turbo car have nothing to do with traction problems. Turbos need load to spool, anything greater than 3.42 and the turbo will have slow spool.

Any car that is a track car should have upgraded suspension and drag radials anyhow. We dont have track bars either.
                  sigpic
                  1997 Camaro RS A4
                  2006 Chevy Colorado
                  2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

Wow. Like.. you lost me at adjustable track bar. And you're "still green" my ***. Yeah I don't know crap about the drivetrain. If you want to point me in the direction of exactly what I should buy and maybe some installation instructions I'd appreciate it. <what all newbs want :) Eh, im gonna go look up those words you used.. like.. tru track.. and.. carrier. Crap i'm not even sure what "overlap" is, not entirely.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242
                      Wow. Like.. you lost me at adjustable track bar. And you're "still green" my ***. Yeah I don't know crap about the drivetrain. If you want to point me in the direction of exactly what I should buy and maybe some installation instructions I'd appreciate it. <what all newbs want :) Eh, im gonna go look up those words you used.. like.. tru track.. and.. carrier. Crap i'm not even sure what "overlap" is, not entirely.
                      Get a set of tubular lower control arms...very easy to install (comes with instructions)
                      Get a tubualar panhard bar...very easy to install (comes with instructions)
                      Get Bilstein rear shocks...very easy to install
                      Dont worry about rear springs...stock ones are fine
                      Swap the whole rearend with a Z28 or Trans Am that already has LSD and 3.42's...easy to install
                      Get a 1 piece aluminum driveshaft...easy to install
                      Get drag radial tires...have tire shop install them

All these items can be installed (except the tires) all at one time since the rearend will be removed anyhow.

Thats about all you really need to know :)
                      Last edited by Shodown; 12-13-2007, 10:44 PM.
                      sigpic
                      1997 Camaro RS A4
                      2006 Chevy Colorado
                      2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

I can't wait to see what you do with the kit.

Comment

You are definately going to want LSD, cause idk about you but I already spin the damn single tire as it is.. and you will be turbo'd so you'll want better traction. going to higher gears won't hurt.

Comment

3.23 w/ lsd if ur gion turbo
                            WE CAN REBUILD IT, WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY

Comment

if you correctly tune your vehicle to spool early on and eliminate turbo lag then yes gears will make tracktion an issue. and track bar is another term for panhard bar. read drag racing guide by dave morgan. he is a personal friend of mine. but you are on the correct track deciding to look into more information. about everything that was put in as a shopping list earlier is pretty much perfect. my only advice would be adjustable coilovers not stock springs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X