Keep 3.08 with a turbo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Keep 3.08 with a turbo?

Ah yes, this is why I come to this site. This is tremendous help guys. Is there anything I need to do to the front suspension? And, what size wheels and tires would be a good idea?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by jrocstar
      if you correctly tune your vehicle to spool early on and eliminate turbo lag then yes gears will make tracktion an issue
      Wrong, wrong, wrong. You can tune all you want for turbo lag, but with higher gears turbos dont work as well.

Read up on it, ask any of the fast GN guys. None of them use anything higher than 3.42 or 3.23 and they can tune better than anybody on this site. Why? Becuase they understand how turbos/gearing work...
      Last edited by Shodown; 12-14-2007, 05:23 PM.
      sigpic
      1997 Camaro RS A4
      2006 Chevy Colorado
      2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

not here to argue with you. but do math basic math tells you power will increase to the wheels. tune it right and it will work. but agreed too much gear can happen i never said otherwise. i am here to help other people not piss anyone off. but for that matter what is your budget.

Comment

also with a good hook and a automatic transmission you develop the load neccessary with the flow required to spool. hence tune for early spool. there are alot of other ways because i do understand turbo's and gearing ;)

Comment

are you that close minded?

i went from 3.23 to 3.42 and lost almost 300 RPM in spool time

you can not tune for spool it is a factor of exhaust flow vs turbo specs, the only way to get more exhaust flow is add load to the motor.

I'm going back to 3.23's when i get the cash.

there is one guy that had 3.73 and got ride of them because the turbo was to laggy, he now has 3.42's

one guy on FTV6 is running 12's with 3.08's

now if you have a nitrous or SC car just put 4.56's in it and call it good

turbos count on exhaust phyics, that is why they do not gears over 3.42
            www.turbov6camaro.com
            1997 3800 Series II Camaro
            4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
            7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
            11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Yeah, I think im gonna find a rear end with 3.23's in it and a LSD. And.. like I asked before, is there anything you guys would recommend me do to my front end suspension?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242
                Yeah, I think im gonna find a rear end with 3.23's in it and a LSD. And.. like I asked before, is there anything you guys would recommend me do to my front end suspension?
                front, umm for 1/4 mile remove swaybar and get springs/shocks... but nothing that you MUST doo
                www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

Removing the front sway bar, from articles and whatnot I've read thats just to keep the car level when turning right? I could be wrong.. so do you guys take it off as weight reduction?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

intese has the fastest turbo firebird and they reccomend numerically higher gears. proof enough for me. and you can tune out lag pretty much all out and yes there is too high . obvously you didn't read that i already said that. you have a fast car and you have helped me out some also i am not here to argue just guide. leave harsh criticism out. it helps noone. anyways the sway bar only stabilizes movement of one front tire as to the other. since you unload the front the sway bar will do nothing in the 1/4 only on a course with turns. upgrade your rear to either a solid or preferrably a larger hollow one to save weight and have a better affect. this will reduce body roll off acceleration making the car launch forward more. but a good set of coil overs would be first priority. showdown has a pretty good list, go with that.

Comment

intese has the fastest turbo firebird and they reccomend numerically higher gears. proof enough for me. and you can tune out lag pretty much all out and yes there is too high . obvously you didn't read that i already said that. you have a fast car and you have helped me out some also i am not here to argue just guide. leave harsh criticism out. it helps noone. anyways the sway bar only stabilizes movement of one front tire as to the other. since you unload the front the sway bar will do nothing in the 1/4 only on a course with turns. upgrade your rear to either a solid or preferrably a larger hollow one to save weight and have a better affect. this will reduce body roll off acceleration making the car launch forward more. but a good set of coil overs would be first priority. showdown has a pretty good list, go with that.
                      no they don't i have talked to the cars owner many many times. they run 3.5x gears in that car, because of there rear end they have AND they run a trans break witch spools the turbos since they can leave at what ever RPM they chose. (and the motor is at a high load because of the brake) and its spooling twins not signal turbo

do not go over 3.42 or you will be sorry

you can't compare a 60K full out drag car to a street car and expect things to work the same

i made a thread about this on GN boards the all run the factory 3.42s if they put in 3.73's they run slower

you can't tune out lag, you can optimize it but you can never def phyics with tunning
                      www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

The gearing also another reason why turbo cars OWN the highway :)

I might add for a drag car, I would keep the stock springs, especially on a V6. The are really soft and almost anything aftermarket is going to lower the car (not good for drag) and increase spring rate (also not good). QA1 shocks are the cream of the crop for the front end, and they make drag springs too. This allows the front end to extend with minimal effort :)

This had been covered (more than enough times) but I strongly urge everyone and anyone to keep the front bar on a street driven car, and unbolt and/or remove from the car at the track.

Comment

good point there. optimize yes not eliminate lag. but i need to ask who has the fastest turbo v6 bird then?

Comment

good point there. optimize yes not eliminate lag. but i need to ask who has the fastest turbo v6 bird then?
                            I have not seen any evidence where a tune has made a turbo spool XXX rpm faster. i have heard that retarding the timing can, however, there is no evidence of this nor have i seen any results in my own TNT.

I don't know why you are using one car that runs high 8's and trying to use it to go against years and years of proven performance. As i said already the car has other things on it that can offset the gearing for track use, and the reason why the car runs what gears it runs. this car does not drive on public roads. It is made to go down the track off a trans break (HUGE FACTOR)
                            www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

Originally posted by greasemonkey
                              This had been covered (more than enough times) but I strongly urge everyone and anyone to keep the front bar on a street driven car, and unbolt and/or remove from the car at the track.
                              i have had mine off for the last 1000 miles...... can't really tell :)
                              www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

I think I'll try to 3.08 gearing in it for a few times at the track.. even without the LSD then go to the 3.23s with LSD for comparison numbers.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X