X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quad Cam 3.4 litre

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
    oops, i totally forgot about the timing belt, haha

but thats very interesting that it is the same exact block.. i wouldnt think they would do that, thanks for the info...
    Yea, the 3.4 quad-cam version had the same timing sprocket as the cam-in-block version, but used that to drive the timing belts for the overhead cams instead of an in-block cam.

And IIRC, the timing-belt side is opposite the flywheel - which means that the front of the engine might have clearance issues, especially with pre-'98 hoods, just like the LLT motor would.

I had one of these in an old '95 Cutlass Supreme. Worked ok - but I was always worried about how I'd get to the timing belt to change it. The engine's also an interference design, if I remember right, so there's the potential for bent valves if the belt breaks.

Comment

you could do this swap, but it would be a hell of a lot of work...

have you looked into the AL head swap for the 3.4's? this way, you can essentially keep your bottom end, swap new heads and intake in, and end up with essentially teh same HP.

Granted, I'm generalizing A LOT! For street use, you should swap to the AL headed, dished pistons. You would probably also cam the engine while you were at it, and tuning would be a bit of a pain. I suggest reading the sticky on our engines, at the top of the section. Lots and lots of good info.
      Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

I read alot on the auminum head swap. I already have a set of Al heads and pushrods. I was thinking of that, but thought the quad cam engine would look custom set up properly - polished valve covers, fabricated intake, exposed cam gears and timing assembly. The GM duds got 325 flywheel HP without trying much. They had to detune the engine for the crappy A4 FWD tranny. If the intake was opened up, a stand alone FI system with a good tune, and a decent exhaust, 325 HP may be a reality. I wonder what a 100 shot funny gas system would do... :burn:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X