Quad Cam 3.4 litre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quad Cam 3.4 litre

I haven't seen any mention of the Quad cam 3.4 V6. I guess it's not something that anyone would consider, but, I think this engine has really been overlooked. I am going to the local U Pull yard and for $173 I can own one. It is exclusively FWD but fabbing mounts isn't a big deal. Stock it is rated at 215 flywheel HP, 225 TQ. I am considering running a Mega Squirt stand alone and using another program to run a crank fired ignition - maybe from MSD. Since it will go in a RWD Chevy S 10 for starters, I will also fab or modify a set of headers to fit, along with a decent exhaust. I read that GM set one of these up all engine and got 300 crank HP out of one. They are pretty exotic looking and use the same iron block as the 3.4 pushrod. The passenger head partially obscures the distributor drive opening, so no distributor option here. With bigger injectors, a better timing curve and a good tune, maybe 250 HP?
    I know you can bolt in a 3.8, but that is easy. It would be interesting to see a quad cam motor where it doesn't belong.:D

Re: Quad Cam 3.4 litre

If they use the same intake manifold as a stock chevy 3.4L you'll be in the same boat. The 3.4L that comes in the camaro's where I think 90 degree engines? They were designed to be racing engines if I remember correctly. Chevy decided to put the constricted intake manifold on it and you have what you have, I think if you take a top of another car (can't remember the exact car) that has the 3.5L you can swap them out and get it close to 200hp, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Quad cam though huh? that's hot...overhead?

Comment

upper intakes are different.

would be a pretty neat swap, but everyone ive known with a quad cam motor hated working on them.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
      http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
      Or this

Comment

Originally posted by ne0hisda0ne View Post
        If they use the same intake manifold as a stock chevy 3.4L you'll be in the same boat. The 3.4L that comes in the camaro's where I think 90 degree engines?
        the 3.8's are 90* which have a dead spot that creates vibrations, hence the balance shaft, the 3.4 are 60*.

They were designed to be racing engines if I remember correctly.
        not really, they just have very good harmonics, hence no balance shaft.

I think if you take a top of another car (can't remember the exact car) that has the 3.5L you can swap them out and get it close to 200hp, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Quad cam though huh? that's hot...overhead?
        your talking about this
        http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=64963
        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

as for the swap, everyone is always looking for something different to do. most just want easy...have fun and post up as much info as you can.
          Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

The quad cam has 4 overhead cams. One for intakes and one for exhaust on each side of the V. The 3.4 block is the same as the F body 3.4, only difference is the mount configuration. They were meant for FWD chassis. When GM first built them, they were looking for 325 HP at the flywheel, but the cheesey auto tranny couldn't handle the power - so the engineers de tuned the thing to 215 HP. You're probably right, they restricted the intake. I was looking at them in the junk yard, I could probablly build a sheet metal intake to get around that problem. You are also right in that it is a 60* engine. Olds put them in alot of custom Cierras, chevy used them in high end Monte Carlos. I've seen lots of them in the U Pull yards around Baton Rouge. It would be easy to set one up with an M5, the flywheels are the same from 88 up. The 2.8 flywheel works, as long as it's a neutral balance unit.
            It would be sort of custom to open the hood and see a 4 cammer there. :burn:

Comment

are you sure it is the same block?

i find it hard to believe that the cam bores/ lifter bores would still be present in an overhead cam engine

if it is the same block, then why not just swap the heads off so you dont have to mess with the mounting of the engine

or maybe im just not understanding something here

Comment

I'm going to have to disagree with you Flaming, GM originally designed the 3.4L to be a "Race Style" motor. It had potential...they put alot of money into and then realized the 3800 would be a better route. I have read this and I am not talking about my bum...of course I can't find the source I read that from as it was over a year ago. So flame away, prove me wrong, I don't care...

Comment

race style, and race engine are two different things

i found what you were talking about, and the "race style" part only means that gm went with a 60 degree block, which means there can be even firing during crankshaft rotation and make the engine run smoother.. basically having it balanced and not needing a balance shaft

Comment

It might be a tight fit with the heads. Eventhough that's a 60* engine.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                      race style, and race engine are two different things

i found what you were talking about, and the "race style" part only means that gm went with a 60 degree block, which means there can be even firing during crankshaft rotation and make the engine run smoother.. basically having it balanced and not needing a balance shaft
                      well what I read basically was saying that they were gonna design it to put it in there self sponsored race cars (dunno which league) or something (i could be wrong and crossing it with something else I read), but yeah thank you. Not trying to cause problems, I just know what I read. So my point to that is that it has potential with an intake manifold upgrade and some tuning.

Comment

are you sure it is the same block?

i find it hard to believe that the cam bores/ lifter bores would still be present in an overhead cam engine

if it is the same block, then why not just swap the heads off so you dont have to mess with the mounting of the engine

or maybe im just not understanding something here
                        I guess I could swap the heads, but it has a fairly sophisticated timing belt arrangement. The blocks are the same, I've seen many in bone yards in different stages of disassembly. They even have the distributor hole with the oil pump drive. All of the lifter bores are there, etc. They built this engine for more power, but were defeated by the weak A4 FWD unit. I can fabricate motor mounts in less time than it takes to swap components.

Comment

Has anyone ever seen the aluminum block 3.4? Chevy sells it as an off road item in their parts catalog. Weighs 68 pounds empty, but it's $1400 I think. I'd have to check. I guess they use them in some ministock and off road racing. I've heard of 350 hp all engine assemblies. Also, look at
                          http://www.engine-parts.com/GMV6/gm28stroker.html I am guessing that there are lots at this forum that have looked at this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
                            I guess I could swap the heads, but it has a fairly sophisticated timing belt arrangement. The blocks are the same, I've seen many in bone yards in different stages of disassembly. They even have the distributor hole with the oil pump drive. All of the lifter bores are there, etc. They built this engine for more power, but were defeated by the weak A4 FWD unit. I can fabricate motor mounts in less time than it takes to swap components.
                            oops, i totally forgot about the timing belt, haha

but thats very interesting that it is the same exact block.. i wouldnt think they would do that, thanks for the info

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
                            Has anyone ever seen the aluminum block 3.4? Chevy sells it as an off road item in their parts catalog. Weighs 68 pounds empty, but it's $1400 I think. I'd have to check. I guess they use them in some ministock and off road racing. I've heard of 350 hp all engine assemblies. Also, look at
                            http://www.engine-parts.com/GMV6/gm28stroker.html I am guessing that there are lots at this forum that have looked at this site.
                            an aluminum block for $1400??? thats not a bad price at all.. i have seen aluminum v8's go for way way way more

Comment

oops, i totally forgot about the timing belt, haha

but thats very interesting that it is the same exact block.. i wouldnt think they would do that, thanks for the info

an aluminum block for $1400??? thats not a bad price at all.. i have seen aluminum v8's go for way way way more
                              Yeah, that belt set up is sort of snaky. I've heard guys say they are a real B**ch to work in a FWD car. Porbably lots easier in a RWD since eveything will be out in the open. Now, all I need is time. Yo. :mad:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X