Anybody on here have a stroked 4.2?? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody on here have a stroked 4.2??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody on here have a stroked 4.2??

im thinking about having the engine i just bought rebuilt with the 4.2 stroker kit from 3800stroked.com. just wondering if anybody on this site has done it yet??? i searched and everything i found was just people dreaming about it. if so what do you think about it??? is it worth the 3200.00 or would a turbo be a better route?? thanks in advance for any info.

Re: Anybody on here have a stroked 4.2??

i haven't heard good things about stroker kits for our cars, so i would go turbo. but it would be kind of cool to say that you had a 4.2l v6

Comment

yeah it would but i wouldnt want to invest 3200.00 into a stroker kit thats not good. then again it seems like nobody likes a stroker engine....

Comment

Originally posted by jrherald420 View Post
        yeah it would but i wouldnt want to invest 3200.00 into a stroker kit thats not good. then again it seems like nobody likes a stroker engine....
        yea... just search around, theres plenty of people running turbo's and those things can definitely put down the power. not sure about that stroker kit though

Comment

what do you do to the engine to get it 4.2l, bore it our? swap?

Comment

Originally posted by a-master View Post
            what do you do to the engine to get it 4.2l, bore it our? swap?
            uhmm.... you can swap a new engine in to get more displacment, lol.
            and you can bore our engines, i think ive heard like .030 safely? right thor?
            but others have gone higher, such as .060
            but what the OP is looking at was a stroker kit which increases the displacement by making the piston travel further. so that would put you at 4.2l

Comment

only bad stroker kits that I have heard of were the zzp ones but they stopped making those.

The COME racing kit nobody has done in an fbody car yet. They run them over in australia without issues in the holden cars. Also a few grand prix guys are working on 4.2l stroker builds.

The COME kit is a nice kit though and would make some nice torque

www.3800stroked.com is the seller of the COME kits
              http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

My only question would be how would this effect vibration, assuming that the balance shaft would probably be deleted to opt for a double roller? As I understand, balance is key so that the motor doesn't rattle fillings out as a 3.8L. Stands to reason that baby would most definitely rock in the cradle as a 4.2L.

Comment

many guys are running dbl roller timing chains with no issues...I doubt it would be a problem....

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                  1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by steddy View Post
                    My only question would be how would this effect vibration, assuming that the balance shaft would probably be deleted to opt for a double roller? As I understand, balance is key so that the motor doesn't rattle fillings out as a 3.8L. Stands to reason that baby would most definitely rock in the cradle as a 4.2L.
                    not an issue. everyone that builds a 3.8 ditches the balance shaft. common practice with the double roller

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life View Post
                      only bad stroker kits that I have heard of were the zzp ones but they stopped making those.

The COME racing kit nobody has done in an fbody car yet. They run them over in australia without issues in the holden cars. Also a few grand prix guys are working on 4.2l stroker builds.

The COME kit is a nice kit though and would make some nice torque

www.3800stroked.com is the seller of the COME kits

thats the one im looking at....but before i would slap down the cash i would want to know what else would have to be done(like valve train and such...) and yes i did search about this and couldnt find any info from people that have done this.

Comment

I have decided to keep my single chain and just run 105lb springs, should be good enough for 400hp, with keeping the shifting under 6000 RPMS. There are a few that have kept their singles running turbos , so I will try it also.
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by jrherald420 View Post
                          thats the one im looking at....but before i would slap down the cash i would want to know what else would have to be done(like valve train and such...) and yes i did search about this and couldnt find any info from people that have done this.
                          if you are doing a stroker, you are most likely going to be upgrading everything else along the way or going stroker is kind of pointless. strokers are for those looking for every hp/tq available NA. So you would be camming it and upgrading valvetrain at the same time.

Comment

yeah i forgot about that...lol i had already planed on the cam, but the valvetrain is going to be new to me.

Comment

so i see that theres programmers for 99 up 3.8's but not for 98's?? am i missing something?? also i take it that with the stroker and a nice cam a new program to run it right...would that be right?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X