4.3 ltr swap to camaro/firebird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 4.3 ltr swap to camaro/firebird

ok well this camaro has the 3.4 in it (found a different car), & has no compression, im going friday to look at it, umm, when the guy bought it it had a blown head gasket, he hhad that fixed. then when they tried cranking it up, they had little, to no compression. guy thinks that it needs another engine put in it, so about how much does a 3.4 engine run, money wise? theres a few junkyards around me, that i could get an engine from, but then u know nothing about that engine, so on here, how much do u guys see these engines going for? im planning on making this car my daily driver, but until i get it straightened out, i do have another vehicle i can drive til then! thanks all of ur help too!

Comment

I wouldn't drive it, if it is in that condition. It would be like a ticking time bomb waiting to explode and could cause your engine to catch on fire if a rod goes through the side of the block. I don't know much about the 3.4 engines but if it is like the 3.8's you could get a engine from a newer 3.4 engine and use it. I hope someone with a 3.4 posts to help you out more about the engines. Most engines range depending on mileage here in AZ from $300-$600. So I would think it depends where you live. Good luck.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

a member on here was thinking about it, the 4.3 is a truck motor, no? lol

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
          I wouldn't drive it, if it is in that condition. It would be like a ticking time bomb waiting to explode and could cause your engine to catch on fire if a rod goes through the side of the block. I don't know much about the 3.4 engines but if it is like the 3.8's you could get a engine from a newer 3.4 engine and use it. I hope someone with a 3.4 posts to help you out more about the engines. Most engines range depending on mileage here in AZ from $300-$600. So I would think it depends where you live. Good luck.
          no the car isnt running right now, the guy just told me that they had a compression test done on it & it had no compression!

Comment

ok, if im not able to find a 3.4 engine, & i could find a 3.8, then to do that swap all i would need it the 3.8 engine, 3.8 harness & pcm. would the fuel fittings fit from the 3.4 or r they different?

Comment

you would also need a 3.8 tranny, cause the bell housings are different.
              Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                that stinks, y cant some things stay the same, lol! oh well, im sure i can find the parts that i need for the 3.4. thanks man!

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post

Incorrect
                  2.8/3.1/3.4/3.8 trannies all have the same bolt pattern
                  1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                  2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                  94 comero 3.4

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4 slow to go View Post
                    Incorrect
                    on all the years, like lets say 85 & up?

Comment

You might run into VSS sensor need to be swapped, TQ arm mount different and the tranny mount might be diffferent, easier to get a tranny for that year engine.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4 slow to go View Post
                        Incorrect
                        but he was asking about the 4.3 which has the 350 bolt pattern.
                        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

then you are correct
                          1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                          2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                          94 comero 3.4

Comment

well, my actual statement was wrong, cause i typed 3.8 tranny, instead of 4.3 tranny.

so, in conclusion, if you were to to put a 4.3 in it, you would need the v8 tranny.
                            Team NoVa

Comment

ok, the 4.3 is outta the picture, if i need a different engine for the car, then i will eith find another 3.4, or find a 3.8! i went & looked at the car today, gave a few dollars down that way it wouldnt be sold out from under me, going to pick it up on tuesday, i made the reservations for the trailor yesterday for tuesday! the car looks to be in great shape, body & intereior wise, i tried getting some pix, but the dern batt's went dead for the camera. so ill have to wait til tuesday to get pix if u guys r interested!

Comment

oh yeah, to me it sounded like it was outta time, didnt turn over too fast or anything, going to haul it down to my dads on tuesday & work on it, might not get to do too much on tuesday, but on wednesday i will!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                  New Owner!
                                  by LETZRIDE
                                  I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                  3 days ago
                                • ssms5411
                                  Little work today
                                  by ssms5411
                                  Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                  2 weeks ago
                                • LETZRIDE
                                  Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                  by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                  Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                  By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                  Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                  02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X