4.3 ltr swap to camaro/firebird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.3 ltr swap to camaro/firebird

has anyone ever done this? if so, what year of 4.3 ltr did u use? did u have to change pcm's & wiring harness? did ur bellhousing bolt right up to the engine? did u have to modify the motor mounts or anything? how did/does it perform? im interested in attempting this with a 5 spd camaro, any help would be much appreciated!

Re: 4.3 ltr swap to camaro/firebird

Isn't the 3.8 better than the 4.3?

Anyways if you're going through the hassle of a swap.. just go straight for an LSX.

Comment

i dunno if the 3.8 is better then the 4.3, i am doing an ls1 swap to my 94 Z28, was thinking about buying a v6 camaro, found 1 with a cracked block, thats y i was thinking about the 4.3!

Comment

I would either do the LSx swap or get another 3.8 and build it up. Then you'll have good power w/o all the headaches of a 4.3 swap. To me it seems that it would be much easier to stick with engines that the car was designed for. But hey, I haven't done hardly anything to my car, so take my opinion for what it's worth :)
        2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

well the stock later 4.3s have like 190 horses, where as ours has 200...
          and the 4.3 has the same bolt pattern as the 350, why not a 350 swap.
          Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

an lsx swap would be easyer that plus, if its a 5-speed car like you mentioned, you have to either spend alot of money rebuilding it with stronger parts, or swap in an auto. the t-5's in these cars arent the greatest my any means.
            1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

i have researched many different swaps, my latest being a 5.3 with the 4l60e and they are all expensive... in your case, i would just buy a v8 car to begin with, unless you have abackup car to drive for a long while.
              Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

The eaisest , I think is adding a turbo , I was going to go with a LS2 and get the 400hp, But I decided to to go with a Garrett GT35R turbo on it and run 10-12 PSi and make hopefully 350 at the wheels which would put me in my 400 hp range. So instead of $5000+ for a LS1 swap or $8000+ for a LS2 swap , I'll end up just over $3000 and the new turbo alone is around $1300. Just taking my time getting everything together. I figured, I already have 9.5:1 Diamond forged pistons and a VS cam with new valvetrain,pushrods, springs and retainers mods etc, and have 65lb injectors so I said why not. I just love the 3.8 engine. A 5.3 swap would be nice too , I saw a build up on Horsepower T.V. looked good.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                  The eaisest , I think is adding a turbo , I was going to go with a LS2 and get the 400hp, But I decided to to go with a Garrett GT35R turbo on it and run 10-12 PSi and make hopefully 350 at the wheels which would put me in my 400 hp range. So instead of $5000+ for a LS1 swap or $8000+ for a LS2 swap , I'll end up just over $3000 and the new turbo alone is around $1300. Just taking my time getting everything together. I figured, I already have 9.5:1 Diamond forged pistons and a VS cam with new valvetrain,pushrods, springs and retainers mods etc, and have 65lb injectors so I said why not. I just love the 3.8 engine. A 5.3 swap would be nice too , I saw a build up on Horsepower T.V. looked good.
                  i saw that episode, i love powerblock...although i miss stacey david

Anyways, thats a crazy build up I might have missed the thread on this, but are you using a 4l60e? And what are you putting down for numbers right now?

Comment

I miss her too.lol I'm running a 02' 4l60e that had a shift kit and servo put in and some other parts upgraded. I don't what I'm at N/A but someone else had a VS cam along time ago on a Camaro before HPtuners and I think they put down 210 hp 230 tQ. I would think it is around there maybe alittle more with my tunning with my wideband and running 26-27 degrees timing. I haven't got all my parts yet for the turbo, I have a tial 38mm wastegate 11 psi spring , 31 X 12 X 4 intercooler 3" in/out, all the intercooling piping 3", all the oil lines, Tclamps and fittings, turbo heat sheild, 65lb injectors(running 36lb injectors right now), Garret GT35R T3 with .63 A/R 3" Vband out to go over the Tub. K member and go to my 3" exhaust.

My vehicle weight should be around 2800 lbs with the turbo added. Also moving my batt. to the rear and will be using a ALM. 1 qt. coolant resivoir , so I can pull out the stock one and run my 4" k&n filter down in the fender on the pass. side. I don't think I posted a thread on my build up, because I was going to do it then started to back out then thought its better than trying to put a whole new engine in and went ahead with my plans. I just plan on running 10-12 PSI which I hope to get around 350-400 at the wheels. I'll be satisfied with that since it will run down most LS1's and some LS2's on the street. And it is half the cost of putting in a V8. This is also with 3.73 gears, so it should be interesting, thats why I choose the GT35R I'll need the extra RPMs to make up for the gears to spool up sooner. The Garrett dealer said I should see full boost just over 3000 rpms. Will see how it goes though.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

but again, you plan on spending 3 grand on the trubo set up, you already have money into your motor( stock wont hold 12 psi long ), you swapped tranny's( t-5 would die, auto needs some beefing up/tq converter) , dyno tune ,ect, by the time your done, including what you already did, you could have done a v8 swap. most people relize this and just go with the swap.

in the end, turboing/supercharging might be the easyest, but they all cost roughly the same if your looking for that 300-350 hp range.

very interested in your turbo project, best of luck and keep us updated.
                      1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

The stock engine and tranny should hold 10-12 PSI if the tune is good and the A/F ratio is good. The ones that have trouble is the ones that turn the boost up and their trannies start slipping or they didn't watch their KR and they pop a rod through their block. I think their have been plenty of people running 10 PSI on stock motors. I built mine like 5-6 years ago and it has 40-45,000 miles on it. I agree no stock M5 /T5 is going to last . I blew 3rd gear in my M5 just running a powerdyne.LOL I thought about a TQ converter, but I want to see what the stock one will do, the one I have now is about 2200-2400 so it isn't too bad for stock, the 3.73's isn't helping me when I try to brake stall. I have heard some people having 2600-2800 on the stock converter, lucky b@stards. Also thanks , I try to post when I get everything worked out.

Comment

i dont think id even run 10 psi on a stock motor, just me personally, 7-8 yea.

yea 3.73's and stock converter are the only things no ideal with your setup. worst comes to worse you can swap someone your 3.73's for stock 3.23's or something if it comes down to that. have you looked into a meth setup at all?

good luck with everything.

Comment

I miss her too.lol I'm running a 02' 4l60e that had a shift kit and servo put in and some other parts upgraded. I don't what I'm at N/A but someone else had a VS cam along time ago on a Camaro before HPtuners and I think they put down 210 hp 230 tQ. I would think it is around there maybe alittle more with my tunning with my wideband and running 26-27 degrees timing. I haven't got all my parts yet for the turbo, I have a tial 38mm wastegate 11 psi spring , 31 X 12 X 4 intercooler 3" in/out, all the intercooling piping 3", all the oil lines, Tclamps and fittings, turbo heat sheild, 65lb injectors(running 36lb injectors right now), Garret GT35R T3 with .63 A/R 3" Vband out to go over the Tub. K member and go to my 3" exhaust.

My vehicle weight should be around 2800 lbs with the turbo added. Also moving my batt. to the rear and will be using a ALM. 1 qt. coolant resivoir , so I can pull out the stock one and run my 4" k&n filter down in the fender on the pass. side. I don't think I posted a thread on my build up, because I was going to do it then started to back out then thought its better than trying to put a whole new engine in and went ahead with my plans. I just plan on running 10-12 PSI which I hope to get around 350-400 at the wheels. I'll be satisfied with that since it will run down most LS1's and some LS2's on the street. And it is half the cost of putting in a V8. This is also with 3.73 gears, so it should be interesting, thats why I choose the GT35R I'll need the extra RPMs to make up for the gears to spool up sooner. The Garrett dealer said I should see full boost just over 3000 rpms. Will see how it goes though.

You are a sick MF. ROFL. I've got to come down one of these days.
                            Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

I use to have a methanol kit from Coolingmist on my powerdyne, I think this time if I do it I'll just buy my own parts and set it up. Their really not hard to make your own after you see how there setup. I think a good kit would be about $100 to setup, I'll see what my intake temps run in the 115 degree heat. The intercooler is huge so it should do a good job, I hope. For the 3.73's I won't see boost in 1st(which don't really need with the 3.73's lauches real well, no spin), but 2nd and 3rd are going to be killer when the boost comes in. 3rd gear at 5900 rpms is like about 120 mph before it shifts to 4th gear. I really don't want a all out drag car just a nice reliable DD thats fast, thats why I want to run only around 10-12 PSI and no boost controller because I know myself.LOL if I did go to the track I wouldn't mind a 15 PSI run.

Robert, if your down in the valley give me a call (PM me if you don't have my # still) were in a single story just down from where we use to live off the 303 and Waddell & Reems,you can always take the 303 home, just take the 303 to Lake pleasant road down to where Ben Avery Range road(forget the name) and it goes to I-17. I do pretty much nothing all day if not going to DR. appts. and blood draws. We can tune more on your car if you want, or get a wideband on there and we can really tune it.LOL I have some interesting tables from my dads 05' buick that is pretty cool about how much timing they are running compared to the 3.8 F-bodys. Or just stop by because I'm bored.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X