Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: cam swap

Originally posted by Smoke Panther View Post
    getting new/hardened pushrods "just to be safe" is like saying "wear elbow and knee pads when you ride your bike;" you're not in that much danger to begin with, and if you are in a situation where you'll need such protective measures, you're probably doing/did something wrong.
    why would you take the chance?

im sorry but if i did a cam swap in my engine with 130k miles, i will spend the extra $50 to buy new pushrods

also, what kind of valve cover gaskets are they? im not sure what you get, but if they are cork ones you have to replace them, if they are rubber you should be fine

Comment

With 105 lb valve springs, bolt-ons and a cam the stock push rods will be fine. Hell, I ran over 50 track passes on my stock pushrods with a 50 shot of spray, 12 psi of boost, 130 lb springs and mine were fine.
      sigpic
      1997 Camaro RS A4
      2006 Chevy Colorado
      2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

I have the blue rubber ones from zzp...I am thinking the stocker pushrods will be fine for now...but if I can find some a good price I will scoop them up...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
          why would you take the chance?

im sorry but if i did a cam swap in my engine with 130k miles, i will spend the extra $50 to buy new pushrods
          And I've been running a hard 50,000 miles on my stock pushrods, since camming my car. There's members on here that have run even longer. Again, you're not in that great of danger, unless you botch the install...and, if that's the case, all bets are off anyways

also, what kind of valve cover gaskets are they? im not sure what you get, but if they are cork ones you have to replace them, if they are rubber you should be fine
          they're just very flexible rubber. Nothing to be worried about, so long as you tighten the valve covers on all the way

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther View Post
            And I've been running a hard 50,000 miles on my stock pushrods, since camming my car. There's members on here that have run even longer. Again, you're not in that great of danger, unless you botch the install...and, if that's the case, all bets are off anyways

they're just very flexible rubber. Nothing to be worried about, so long as you tighten the valve covers on all the way
            i wasnt sure if they even offered the cork ones or not

but a tip, make sure you put them on the same way they came off, i didnt do that with my other car and had oil pouring out everywhere

Comment

i'll be sure to label everything...is that single timing chain worth it?...I'd consider sticking with just mine, but I have 200,000km on my car now...I know I will never run 130# springs so I dont want the hassle of the double roller....

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                meaty...I know you had some trouble installing retainers or something with the heads in when you did your swap...what exactly did you have a problem with, and what did you do when you had the heads in the car to get around it?
                you must be thinking of someone else

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

you didnt have a problem getting in aftermarket seals or locks or something with the head still in the car?...or someone you helped?...maybe it was someone else....

Comment

ok, so I was just going over everything I need...I know I need modded retainers...do I need to get new

valve seals http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=125&catid=104

and

valve locks? http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=115&catid=104

are these both needed? or can I reuse the originals?

Comment

you can reuse them just whatch out for the valve locks when changing the springs they are small and people tend to lose them. Hopfuly I wont have that happen to me. Would you happen to know how to degree your cam I am going to start putting my xp-cam in and degreeing the cam is the only thing that I am worried about.

Comment

Meatyshells, basicly did my swap when I we put in Comp 105lb springs , ZZP steel modded retainers and Comp pushrods. My valve seals were already using the V guides, but we ended up using the stock valve locks since they were easier to put in, instead of the Comp locks. I used the Comp locks on my spare heads and they were still hard to put on but they did go on. The V guides would be a good choice if you don't have them already and you can reuse the stock locks if you want to, since the Comp ones are a little more tougher to get in if the heads are still on the car.
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

what are V guides?

gotchocmilk, you have an email...
                          Last edited by LETZRIDE; 12-07-2008, 08:11 PM.

Comment

thank you much I will add this to the installing directions of comp and crane cams. I'm also going to try to get help from the guy that made my TD's he builds engines.

Comment

Originally posted by gotchocmilk39 View Post
                              thank you much I will add this to the installing directions of comp and crane cams. I'm also going to try to get help from the guy that made my TD's he builds engines.
                              np...if you have installation directions or a step by step of how to install everything....please send it over to me lol...I could use the info...

Comment

well if you have any money left over a good tool I have used and love is my Chilton book I have have gotten all the way down to my lifters with it. I'm sure your local library might have it I got mine as a pep boys. I have not come across a how to or a write up on cam installation. Here is a thread with some picture of certain part of a cam swap other than that I would get the Chilton or Haynes repair manual.

Edit:http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...=removing+gear
                                Last edited by gotchocmilk39; 12-07-2008, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                  New Owner!
                                  by LETZRIDE
                                  I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                  4 days ago
                                • ssms5411
                                  Little work today
                                  by ssms5411
                                  Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                  2 weeks ago
                                • LETZRIDE
                                  Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                  by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                  Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                  By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                  Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                  02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X