cam swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cam swap

Hey guys...I know there are a couple of these lists, but opinions and knowledge changes so I just want to confirm I have everything on this check list that I will need for a Cam swap into my 1996 camaro.

Cam: ARH Naturally Aspirated cam -210/220 @ .050 -.320 lobe lift on the exhaust, .512 with a 1.6 rocker ratio-112 lobe separation
    http://www.abbottracingheads.com/gm3800.htm

Single roller timing chain- Apparently these break at 40.4kn and our stock ones break at 16.9kn?
    http://intense-racing.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=HCV

Seals-
    http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=125&catid=104

retainers

Ls6 springs- http://intense-racing.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=HCV

or

105# Springs- http://intense-racing.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=HCV

lifters-
    http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=109&catid=104

cam install kit- http://intense-racing.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=HCV

GTP 36# injectors

Wideband O2 and controller

Hp Tuners.

Cam and crank bolts

Is there anything I am missing? any suggestions?
    Last edited by LETZRIDE; 12-07-2008, 04:11 PM.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: cam swap

cam and crank bolts need to be replaced and go with 105 springs. Make sure that installing kit comes with the gaskets for your car because intense is front wheel drive 3800 supplier. You might just want to call abbotts and ask them for every gasket to change out a cam like I did. And you need a PCM from a 1997 car because your 1996 cant be tuned with HTP.

Comment

I already have a 97 pcm in there....ok so aside from the gaskets (i'll have to contact abbott)...everything else look ok?

Comment

ya I have all my cam stuff ready to go aswell. I'm going to start mine as soon as the semester ends. Sounds like you have everything if not I'll chime back in ooo hows your tool situation?

Edit: you need moded retainers for your new springs zzp sells them.

Comment

I wanna start mine at the end of the semester in about 1.5 weeks lol...but looks Like I will just begin ordering parts then...Not sure about the tools yet...I know I need a valve spring compressor, and a special tool to remove fuel lines...other then that I got some gear wrenches I can borrow and a compressor as well

Comment

well I got everything on your list now besides the injectors stupid 00+ fuel rails- looking for trailblazer injector right now off a 4.3 but looks like I'll need to buy 1998 and older rails. While your in there you might as well get harden push rods just to be safe.

Comment

I was contemplating them, I heard they bend easy though...what size do we need do you know?
              Last edited by LETZRIDE; 11-20-2008, 10:03 PM.

Comment

ummm I have never heard of them bending? if anything they would be better than stock, I would just get stock length, not to sure on size though. I have not ordered new push-rods yet.

Comment

If you're upgrading pushrods, get some Comp Hardened 7.05 pushrods. They're much stronger than stock. Only the lightweight pushrods bend under high load.

Comment

might as well do pushrods also

Comment

Originally posted by gotchocmilk39 View Post
                      While your in there you might as well get harden push rods just to be safe.
                      Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                      might as well do pushrods also
                      getting new/hardened pushrods "just to be safe" is like saying "wear elbow and knee pads when you ride your bike;" you're not in that much danger to begin with, and if you are in a situation where you'll need such protective measures, you're probably doing/did something wrong.

Comment

Do I need to get new valve cover gaskets or can I reuse mine? I just replaced them about a month or so ago....

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                          Do I need to get new valve cover gaskets or can I reuse mine? I just replaced them about a month or so ago....
                          as long as you don't trash them during the install, they'll be ok to reuse

Comment

you might want to get new valve locks, i know its very easy to drop and loose some

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

meaty...I know you had some trouble installing retainers or something with the heads in when you did your swap...what exactly did you have a problem with, and what did you do when you had the heads in the car to get around it?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X