New to Cam and valvetrain...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New to Cam and valvetrain...

after that reading that article...it sounds like their are noticeable gains (zzp claims 20hp w/ just 1.9 rockers, but that's prob on a sc 3.8)

It has something to do with 'float'? at higher rpms? and lift?...yea...i'm a n00b at this ****
    1999 Camaro Z/28
    1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

Originally posted by Fireball27
      Time for a noobish question now, but i don't know jack about the engine internals really: What good does replacing the valve springs (and rockers, etc.) do?
      valve springs....

Well when you put a new cam....new rockers....etc, more lift is created in the valve train. (The valves are opened for longer periods of time) Now just cause you change the amount of time you keep the valves open doesnt mean you have changed the rate at which the pistons move. So by keeping those valve open longer you get closer to a piston to valve union. By adding higher # spring, you are helping to make sure those valves close really fast when they need to.

rocker.....

rockers are kind of alternative to a cam. They will help create more-longer lift in the valves by changing the ratio at which they pivot

Comment

Originally posted by UDLOSE98
        valve springs....

Well when you put a new cam....new rockers....etc, more lift is created in the valve train. (The valves are opened for longer periods of time) Now just cause you change the amount of time you keep the valves open doesnt mean you have changed the rate at which the pistons move. So by keeping those valve open longer you get closer to a piston to valve union. By adding higher # spring, you are helping to make sure those valves close really fast when they need to.

rocker.....

rockers are kind of alternative to a cam. They will help create more-longer lift in the valves by changing the ratio at which they pivot
        Ok, well i knew what they did, just wasn't sure about the benefits of replacing them. Thanks.

So do some people here just replace the rockers and springs? I thought people did it all when they swapped the cam..

Originally posted by SSMOWS6
        i mean, you can always fly wes out there and since he's a tool sometimes, fashion him into a plow for the maro
        R.I.P. '07 Pats
        Still... 18-1 > 1 and done

Comment

Originally posted by Fireball27
          So do some people here just replace the rockers and springs? I thought people did it all when they swapped the cam..
          It's a half-assed cam...after all, the duration and LSA still remain the same, all you get is a lil bit added to the lift on both sides. Alot of people leave the same rockers unless the specs of the cam dictate that they do. Everyone should upgrade the springs on a cam, lest they want to break a stocker and have it leave their balls twisting in the wind.

Comment

yea sometimes doing rockers and a cam can create too much lift, I run a stage 4 cam and 1.7 rockers....you MAY be able to get away with 1.8's but its too close for my comfort.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X