Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor

I've got a sweet idea. What if, while you had the engine out for the piston swap, you just slid an LT1 into the bay....BAM 280HP and the exhaust wouldn't be as raspy. Hell you might as well build it up while its out of the car. You can find one for 800 bucks. If you install an after market cam (383 stroker kit) and port the heads and intake you're looking at around 400 horsies. Add an intake, headers, and a 3" exhaust and you'll be making 420 easy.

I'm a proud 3.4 owner. I love my car. But i've realized that owning a 3.4 is alot like having a small penis. You can try and use magical pumps and pills, but the best solution is to cut it off and replace it with a gasguzzling, mustang raping, ripsnortin V8.

Comment

...point of interest.

a 383 stroker kit is not an aftermarket cam there champ.

You basically take the crank from a 400SBC and put it into a 350SBC. Gives it a longer stroke, therefor increasing the cubic inches of displacement from 350 to 383. Hence 'Stroker'.

Here ya go, read up:
      http://www.383stroker.com/

And do you have any concept of how much has to be changed under the hood to do a V8 swap?? There are almost zero carryover items from the v6 to the v8, you pretty much gotta replace everything, including the tranny. Not an easy or inexpensive task.

Do us all a favor and educate yourself a bit more before posting crap like this.
      Last edited by TopHatJimmy; 11-10-2008, 03:23 PM.
      1995 Camaro 3.4L A4<br />Check out my other ride. <a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/820732\" target=\"_blank\">www.sounddomain.com/ride/820732</a>

Comment

what tranny is used for lt1 motors? for 3.4?

i drive a 3800 and i was thinkin that like me, the earlier v6 and v8 would have the same tranny....
        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

i was wondering if anyone is doing this mod can they check and see would the 3400 upper intake just bold on to the 3.4 lower or is it completely different?

Comment

Originally posted by A fireman View Post
            i was wondering if anyone is doing this mod can they check and see would the 3400 upper intake just bold on to the 3.4 lower or is it completely different?
            Reading is your friend, that question has been answered at least 10 times by now!

Comment

i did all 28 pages. I guess i missed that bit but thanks for the help ill go spend another 2 hours searching.

Comment

i did all 28 pages. I guess i missed that bit but thanks for the help ill go spend another 2 hours searching.
                The 3.4 intake manifold is completely different from the 3400 upper intake manifold won't bolt right on to the 3.4 lower. Plus if you were able to get the upper from a 3400 you should get the lower as well.

Also flamingchicken, the transmission is the same but the bell housing might be different but i am not one hundred percent sure on that.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatJimmy View Post
                  ...point of interest.

you pretty much gotta replace everything, including the tranny. Not an easy or inexpensive task.

Do us all a favor and educate yourself a bit more before posting crap like this.
                  you go do your research. in 1994 GM overhauled and renamed the 4l60 transmission to the 4l60E, e meaning electronic. that is the tranny used in all f-body cars from 94 on equipped with an automatic transmission. if you dont believe me, do your research, prove me wrong.

the 04 gto still used the 4l60e, the 05 uses a 4l65e, the first change in that tranny since 1994.
                  Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

if i get the lower also I'll have to do a head swap wont i?

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                      you go do your research. in 1994 GM overhauled and renamed the 4l60 transmission to the 4l60E, e meaning electronic. that is the tranny used in all f-body cars from 94 on equipped with an automatic transmission. if you dont believe me, do your research, prove me wrong.

the 04 gto still used the 4l60e, the 05 uses a 4l65e, the first change in that tranny since 1994.
                      no **** sherlock, thanks for the history lesson. Might take a look at my join date. I may not post a whole lot, but I've been around the block a time or two.

what you're not taking into account is that the bolt pattern of the trans isn't the same from a 60* v6 to a 90* v8. These trannys are a one piece casing, the bellhousing isn't removable or swappable.
                      Therefore, jackass, if you have a 3.4L and want to do a 5.7L swap........you need a new fekkin tranny.
                      Last edited by TopHatJimmy; 11-14-2008, 05:14 PM.
                      1995 Camaro 3.4L A4<br />Check out my other ride. <a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/820732\" target=\"_blank\">www.sounddomain.com/ride/820732</a>

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post

your existence makes the car gods cry....anyway...the way I see it, none of you are on topic about the 3400swap so you should all STFU.

Comment

Has any one tried to actually find the compression ratio of these heads with our pistons? If any one knows how please let me know and ill run the numbers to see if its possible to run that setup
                          Last edited by A fireman; 12-15-2008, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Has any one tried to actually find the compression ratio of these heads with our pistons? If any one knows how please let me know and ill run the numbers to see if its possible to run that setup
                            If you use the 3500 head gaskets and heads, it yields an 11.56:1 compression. It's already been prooven that with tuning ability this will run on pump gas. I know of one guy here in FL using 3.4DOHC pistons (flat top with valve reliefs) in a 3400 with 3500 heads [12.6:1] and also runs on pump gas.

Cam choice is also critical, I would suggest something with a ~270* profile or more for best results.

The FWD heads are super efficient and actually like the compression, but without a way to back off timing and get more fuel into the engine, you will ping like mad with the stock ECM tables.
                            Last edited by Forced_Firebird; 12-16-2008, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Could megasquirt be used to solve this problem or should I look into getting a reprogrammable PCM and have it dyno tuned

Comment

MegaSquirt works great. I recently had a customer buy a 3500 top end for his car, and is tuning with MS. The 3.4/3500 is faster than his LT1 Z28, and is running on premium pump gas (tune is still a little shakey).

I'm going to be working on an OBD1.5/OBDI piggyback setup in March or so, I'll let you guys know for sure how that goes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X