Forged Pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Z28racer:

Ummm ...... thats for a set (450-600) JE pistons are under a 100 bux each custom.... dont know whose trying to rip you off.
    <hr></blockquote>

Oh, damn I guess I read the price wrong.

Well, Im glad Im wrong!!!
    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
    Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jay:
      forged pistons from Wiseco. about $80 a piece. custom made you have to send them one of your pistons<hr></blockquote>

Do you have an address or phone #? Also can they lower compression for a turbo using the stock piston you send?Thanks.
      Kevin
      1998 Black Z28<br />1995 Black 3.4 (@#$$%* ex took it!)<br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/nikkev1/lst?.dir=/New+Camaro&.view=t\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.scfyb.com/phpBB2/\" target=\"_blank\">Carolina Board</a>

Comment

Damn $3600 for forged pistons? Hell last time i called (1 week ago) ross quoted me $129/piston w/pins, and JE quoted $125/piston w/o pins

yeah, did i mention they would do whatever i want to them? lower / raise CR
        -Steve

Comment

Thanx for the replies guys....I just found out about this message board stuff a week ago and I think it's a lot more helpful than buying a stupid magazine, such like GM performance (dedicated mostly to V8).

Hey RiceCooker, nice to meet u man! Did u have
          to buy extra stuff, such as gaskets or any other small stuff, when u bought the power package from supersix?
          Are there any special removal techniques that
          I should be aware of when i take the engine apart
          to add in this package?

[ November 19, 2001: Message edited by: RAMairEZ ]</p>
          97 3.8L Burgundy Firebird<br />==Homemade RamAir<br />==K&N Air Filter<br />==removed air silencer<br />==removed MAF screen<br />==180* thermostat<br />==80 series Flowmaster w/3\"polished tailpipes<br />==I painted the calipers(yellow)<br />==5% limo tint all around<br />==firechicken hood decal<br />==blackouts(LUNDZ) on taillights <br />==10 DISC Sony CD changer<br />Future Mods*** L36 Stage 1 package<br />(which includes ported heads, ported manifolds,& crankshaft)<p>My last name is Ramirez RAMairEZ

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RAMairEZ:
            Thanx for the replies guys....I just found out about this message board stuff a week ago and I think it's a lot more helpful than buying a stupid magazine, such like GM performance (dedicated mostly to V8)<hr></blockquote>

this is true, but there are some baaaaad f-bods in there :evil grin:

Hey RiceCooker, nice to meet u man! Did u have
            to buy extra stuff, such as gaskets or any other small stuff, when u bought the power package from supersix?
            Are there any special removal techniques that
            I should be aware of when i take the engine apart
            to add in this package?

[ November 19, 2001: Message edited by: RAMairEZ ]
            <hr></blockquote>

Yes, you need to get a full gasket head set and a gasket set for he timing cover. Also, if you have over 40,000miles, I strongly recommend getting a new timing chain set. As far as techniques, although I didn't do the install myself, I did watch my mechanic every now and then. First, have lots of patience. It's a tight compartment and not too much room to work in. Second, take the motor off the motor mounts and let it rest on the k-member (make sure you don't crush anything). This gives you room so you can torque the heads down properly w/ a torque wrench.
            Good luck
            GM 3800 PowerPak guinea pig<p>\"what cam, that\'s just a nasty mis-fire...\"

Comment

This should be the last question RiceCooker...
              Where would I get the gasket sets for the heads and timing and where could I get a good timing
              chain set for a cheap price???
              97 3.8L Burgundy Firebird<br />==Homemade RamAir<br />==K&N Air Filter<br />==removed air silencer<br />==removed MAF screen<br />==180* thermostat<br />==80 series Flowmaster w/3\"polished tailpipes<br />==I painted the calipers(yellow)<br />==5% limo tint all around<br />==firechicken hood decal<br />==blackouts(LUNDZ) on taillights <br />==10 DISC Sony CD changer<br />Future Mods*** L36 Stage 1 package<br />(which includes ported heads, ported manifolds,& crankshaft)<p>My last name is Ramirez RAMairEZ

Comment

This should be the last question RiceCooker...
                Where would I get the gasket sets for the heads and timing and where could I get a good timing
                chain set for a cheap price???
                <hr></blockquote>

I got the gaskets from AutoZone. I also forgot to list the head bolts. You can get those from AutoZone too. I don't know about the timing chain set. My mechanic bought it for me from his supplier. Look to spend a bit over $200 for the extras. Prolly closer to $250

Comment

Thanx for the help!! [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by nikkev:

Do you have an address or phone #? Also can they lower compression for a turbo using the stock piston you send?Thanks.
                    Kevin
                    <hr></blockquote>

go to www.wiseco.com. yes they can lower your compression or raise it

Comment

the engine wouldnt detonate without forged pistons if you use nitrous would it?? that sounds insane, hope its not true what else should you do besides forged pistons if you use nitrous?, forged rings? anything else that needs forged?

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bluecmaro96:
                        the engine wouldnt detonate without forged pistons if you use nitrous would it?? that sounds insane, hope its not true what else should you do besides forged pistons if you use nitrous?, forged rings? anything else that needs forged?<hr></blockquote>

Forging is NOT the answer to everything! Hell, it's not always needed where it is applied.
                        With proper fuel management, it can run more than average boost on stock internals. Example, the new Meguir's show car is an Integra Type R. That motor has a compression ratio of 10.5 or 11.0:1. On top of that, it has a jackson racing s/c and a turbo, pushing a combined 14 psi of boost, on stock internals and pump gas. How? proper fuel management. Granted, it's not a daily driver, but it still has to run every now and then, and no detonation.
                        Detonation will eventually destroy forged internals also. The reason for forged internals is b/c the stock pistons can't handle the pressure applied to it via boost or n2o, not b/c it will resist detonation.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X