Who are the REAL hardcore L36 guys? Lets talk Specs. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who are the REAL hardcore L36 guys? Lets talk Specs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is an awesome post. lots of info that ive been looking for - for a long time. can i make one suggestion..(and yea this is bein nitpicky) can ya not make some of us 3.4L owners (dunno how many i speak for, at least myself) feel like their motors dont mean #@$ to you? i mean...its just a suggestion.

i saw this post, thot, o they must be talkin bout who like really really mods their 3.8L car, and i go in and look, and i see that instead its a post about who knows engine stuff.

there are 3.4L owners who would like to, or do know as much as the "hardcore" 3.8L owners. i would think they would wanna be included in this discussion i'd imagine...

just my $.02...

-R

hybrid - \'\'hI-br&d - The offspring of a cross between species.
    Co-Founder West Coast F-Bodies
    West Coast F-Bodies Car Club - WCFB Message Board

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Magnus:

1. I do not know where that occurs, but its a regrind of a stock cam so everything SHOULD match up. [img]smile.gif[/img] *i hope* lol

That's the point. It changes with duration. It is not the same as stock. Stock one is somewhere short of that point. Do you know how much? What if you go to far?

2. No. I'll be fine. Stop worrying me.

This guessing game could be expensive.

3. Lots of potential. Potential is there. I will be ok. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sure the potential is there. That's not the question. The ratio of exhaust to intake potential is the question. Your intake will flow more then exhaust so it doesn't need that much duration. And you will only be hurt by adding intake duration

4. Royce and Mike run 210/214 112 cams. They both say upper RPM power is great. Tom ground in 4 degrees of advance for potential nitrous use. I don't like nitrous so I don't need the extra duration. They also run .450 lift.. I want more lift. So .500 should be good. I should have clearance and will double check on installation.

LOL .450 is ok so .500 should be good? Hey, if .500 is good then .550 should be great. I'm all for higher lift if you can do it, but you need to precisely know how you are changing the overlap region.

Yes I will be installing the parts with the help of this new craftsman tool box I picked up. ;)
      My tools better be there when I get back :mad:

Honestly Dom, you wanna know how I got my specs? I rented a lotto machine. ;)

Yes I know. [img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img]
      <hr></blockquote>

Why don't you go 210/216? or even more on exhaust side? I would think you'd be much better off. I wouldn't go that high with the lift either.

Here is an something I got back in the 90s when LT1s still ruled the planet.

CC304 210/220 .500 .510 114
      CC305 220/230 .510 .510 114
      CC306 230/244 .510 .549 112

Now CC305 is a mild cam, but CC306 is a pretty big cam. They added 10deg to intake and 14deg to exhaust and added 0 lift to intake and a whooping 39 to exhaust. Cars dyno 400rwhp with that cam and heads and headers. I believe chevyguy from mfba is running 11.34@120.3 NA 1.55 60'with that cam. But CC305 is just a mild cam. I see alot of exhaust lift added and no intake lift added. I also see 14 deg more duration on the exhaust side and .39 more lift. So exhaust is favored alot and it works. Hmmm. Balancing the airflow. Why not 210/216 .450 .490 vs 214/214 .450 .450? You will be hard pressed to find an LT1 cam with equal duration on intake and exhaust or even equal lifts. Now to further prove my point. There are alot of equal duration and lift cams for LS1. Why? Cause LS1 heads flow much better then LT1 heads do on the exhaust side so they don't need more help from the cam. At least you're adding compression as you know by now you have to do.

One thing though that noone on this planet knows is how well the 3.8 heads flow. This is still highly experimental period. I'm willing to bet its more like LT1 heads then LS1 heads. But who knows.

Comment

Russell, sorry man. L36 and L32 have different cubes and different cams. The applications are a little bit different. THere are also 3.4 cams available to you by big companies. THis is not the case for the 3.8.

Dom, well.. basically. I don't know exactly what this cam will do. Nobody really does. Someone always has to be a first.

And Tom reasures me that his heads flow VERY well. I am not at all worried about flow. There will be plenty.

- Keith
        Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Magnus:

And Tom reasures me that his heads flow VERY well. I am not at all worried about flow. There will be plenty.

- Keith
          <hr></blockquote>

I have no doubt. If you have seen our heads, you can see that there is alot of room for improvement.

DEE
          1997 GTP(13.3@104)-Sold<br />1999 Trans Am M6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X