SLP Firebird GT : Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLP Firebird GT : Build Thread

I didn't really document anything for the build process of the current setup in my car, but I figured I would do so this time around since I now have a serious goal with the car. Let’s start with some background information and a quick rundown of the current setup and where the new build is heading:

In October of 2010, I bought this 68,000-mile 2002 SLP Firebird GT. The car was all stock with the exception of an air silencer delete, ZZP plug wires, and custom tune. I have no idea what was done as far as tuning, but the one time that I accidentally put regular gas instead of premium in it, there was a noticeable difference in both sound and performance. I managed about a month and a half of driving before I put it up for the winter.

SLP Firebird GT

When spring 2011 came around, I bought a BMR shock tower brace as my first mod to the car. Later in the spring, a ball socket bolt on the passenger side exhaust manifold broke and gave me a nasty exhaust leak. I tried to weld it together from under the car, but it failed again with a month. I continued to drive with the leak until July when I purchased OBX mid-length headers and opted for a custom 2.5” true dual exhaust. While the car was in the air, I also purchased Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs and installed the front springs, leaving the rears stock for the time being. With a family vacation looming, I ran out of time and quickly patched the exhaust system together with a single 2.5” pipe, high-flow cat and SLP Loudmouth 2 muffler dumped before the axle. On the vacation trip, I had to stop on the side of the road twice in Chicago with a bad misfire. The ZZP plug wires with straight boots were rubbing on the new OBX headers and forced the #2 boot to pop off the plug. I later realized that if I babied the car, the vibrations weren’t too bad and the plug wire stopped coming off. Once the vacation spot in Wisconsin was reached, I made a trip to the local AutoZone and bought OEM replacement plug wires and replaced 2 or 3 plug wires with the stock ones since they offered just a hair more clearance. After a week, the trip home went fine, and I drove the car the rest of the year like that, although I would get an occasional misfire and the #2 boot continued to pop off every now and then.

SLP Firebird GT

In spring 2012, I started fighting misfires again right off the bat. I replaced all the plug wire with a new set of OEM replacements, only to see that on the new set, I was actually burning through the boots against the headers. At the same time, I lucked into a set of FFF longtube headers that came up for sale and jumped on deal. I also decided to replace the coils with MSD coil packs and make my own custom-fit plug wires with MSD 8.5mm wires and boots. I used 90* boots on all 6 plug wires and routed them under the headers and have not had any issues since. Around then I replaced the white faded/cracked “SLP Performance” windshield banner with a silver one to flow better with the stripes. I installed the headers and started working on the true duals again, but ran out of time to finish the exhaust before a local car show at my workplace, Lane Automotive, and just drove it with open headers for a week. With that setup, I put the car on a dyno at the Lanes car show and put down a satisfying 195rwhp, 225rwtq. After the show, I finished the 2.5” true dual setup over the axle to a pair of SLP Loudmouth 2 mufflers and Corsa clone tips. At this point, I also finally installed the rear Pro-Kit springs to level the car out some. I liked the “raked” look that the car had with only the fronts installed, but once the rear was lowered as well, it brought on a whole new look and I’m glad I did it. The car remained unchanged the rest of the year with the impending birth of my son in August.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	1574797

2013 came around and I was ready to take on a bigger challenge. I purchased a set of Abbott Racing Heads Stage 1 heads, and an Intense-Racing Stage 3 N/A cam. The heads came complete with the double-roller chain and springs ready to bolt on. Sometime in the winter I also bought a copy of HP Tuners since I knew that I was getting ready to step up to the point where tuning was necessary. Well, just like the previous year, I did the mods, but ran out of time before the Lane Automotive car show again. The head/cam swap was done, but I didn’t have a chance to do any tuning at all on the car. So with the same tune that has been on the car, I put it on the dyno at the show and laid down 244rwhp, 254rwtq. Not bad for not getting any tuning done. The rest of the year, I spent tinkering with the tune, mainly adjusting timing and chasing knock and false-knock, the car performed very well though. I also picked up a set of 18x9.5 polished C5 Z06 rims without the rivets to replace the 17x9.5 black/polished lip C5 Z06’s. The last mod to the car that year was removing the aftermarket antenna and replacing it with a flat black rubber grommet to seal the hole. Eventually the car will be getting repainted as there are a few rock chips on the front bumper, hood, and behind the rear wheels that I would like to address, along with replacing the stripes on the car with SLP replacements. The decal on the rear spoiler is starting to peel, so it’s only a matter of time before it gets removed for good.

SLP Firebird GT

2014 holds new, bigger chapter for the car, and possibly the final chapter when it comes to engine performance. After the new engine build, I’ll switch my focus towards the suspension. My ultimate goal with this engine: 300rwhp naturally aspirated. Late in 2013, I bought the heads off Mike’s (LETZRIDE) Camaro and began collecting parts for the new motor. I spent nearly a grand on ZZP’s Black Friday sales, and just as much on other gaskets and hardware. I had been intending to wait until my tax return to pick up a motor to build on the side, but a deal came up on craigslist for an ’08 Series III with 58K miles on it and I had to jump on it. I figured between the FWD transaxle and L26 heads, I might come out pretty close to even. The beginning of March, I finally purchased my cam for the new motor. I had been considering sticking with the Intense cam, since I knew it still had untapped potential laying down the numbers it did without a tune, but opted for something bigger. I talked a lot with Mike about his cam and decided that was the way I wanted to go. Unfortunately we couldn’t locate any serial numbers or anything to have the cam duplicated, but I took the general specs to CompCams and had them design a new one around those numbers. After I got the spec card from the CompCams rep, his emails got real short and to the point when I told him that I would be purchasing through my work since Comp’s price was a little steep. (I think he was upset he lost his commission on my sale!). And this is where I’m at now, so from here on will be new information anytime I have something to post!
    Last edited by LETZRIDE; 12-29-2019, 06:17 PM.
    aka FreedStyle
    Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
    2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Re: SLP Firebird GT : Build Thread

Here's a quick list of everything that has been done:

Suspension:
    BMR shock tower brace
    Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs

Misc:
    Pioneer HU with iPod/iPhone adapter run through console to deleted ashtray
    Deleted antenna
    Custom HID headlights

Wheels:
    Drilled and slotted rotors
    18x9.5" polished C5 Z06 rims with 275/35/18 Sumitomo's up front, 295/30/18 Nitto NT05 rears.

Engine:
    Fully ported and polished heads with Manley 1.9" and 1.57" valves and 130# springs
    CompCams custom grind camshaft 230/240 .512/.513 113LSA @ 110*
    Rollmaster Double Roller timing chain
    Super Six Motorsports fully ported intake
    FAST 36# injectors
    LS7 lifters
    ZZP dyno tune
    Custom cut MSD 8.5mm plug wires with MSD coils
    Air silencer delete
    EGR delete

Exhaust:
    FFF Longtube headers
    2.5" custom true duals over the axle
    SLP Loudmouth II mufflers
    Corsa clone tips

Drivetrain:
    Aluminum driveshaft

And a list of parts to go on the car:

Suspension:
    Founders Performance adjustable panhard bar
    Founders Performance panhard bar relocation kit
    Founders Performance rear lower control arm relocation brackets
    Spohn Performance tubular K-member
    Energy Suspensions poly front control arm bushings

Misc:
    Walbro 255lb. fuel pump

Engine:

Exhaust:

Drivetrain:
    Texas Drivetrain Performance Stage 2 T56

SLP Firebird GT Build
    SLP Firebird GT Build
    Last edited by LETZRIDE; 12-29-2019, 06:19 PM.
    aka FreedStyle
    Chaddrich Freed

Comment

Looks like will be both running the same cam and pretty much the same heads. I'll be running my 1.7 Pro mags though so I'll get alittle more lift on the cam. I have a email into Zoomer at ZZP to order the cam since I don't know of any other place to order it. My head gasket is shot on my Dr. side so while they have it apart I'm going to do the cam also. Good luck on the build. I will see if I can get this thread into a sticky so it will be easier to see and update.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Thanks, how soon are you going to be starting yours? My goal is to have this engine put together and have the car on the road by the end of April. The Lane Automotive car show on Memorial Day weekend here is always my goal to have things done before. I was considering going with Yella Terra 1.7 rockers as well, but I don't think I'm going to. If I do, it will be next year since I can do them without tearing too far into anything.

I'm thinking that I didn't have enough thread sealant on one of my studs, but I've had a coolant leak through the very first drivers side head stud since I did the current setup. I already bought Fel-Pro head bolts to use this time around instead of the studs, although I may reuse the ARP head studs anyway. I'm not sure yet.

I ordered my cam through my work since I get an employee discount, but we don't really get that big of a break on CompCams custom grinds. Really, I didn't get it any cheaper than what ZZP has custom grinds listed for on their site.
        aka FreedStyle
        Chaddrich Freed

Comment

Most likely in about 3 months I'll have it done. I'm using some Felpro head gaskets this time, after I redid my studs it doesn't leak coolant or oil but I lost compression in 3 and 5 cylinders so something blew out on my MLS gaskets. Is their a part # or serial # for that cam? Would make it alot easier for me, but I want to see want Zoomer from ZZP says about it, since after I get these projects done(still have my T-top install, LS1 front brakes). I'm also going to put the turbo back on and run 8-10lbs of boost.
          Last edited by ssms5411; 03-08-2014, 10:35 PM.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Sent you a PM.

The Fel-Pro head gaskets are all I'm using as well, though I'm not planning to run any boost through my engine. This cam was designed more for a N/A setup, so I don't know how it will perform under FI.
            aka FreedStyle
            Chaddrich Freed

Comment

Got your PM thanks for the info. Adding the turbo is still up in the air, I'm not really sure if I will add it or not. If I like it N/A I probably won't add it.

Comment

I read it. Good stuff. Looking forward to your build.

Any plans for forced induction?

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read it, I always enjoy a little background story with a few highlighted events, so I tried to do the same. I have to thank Warshrike for that, he did an excellent job on his build thread, which is what a lot of mine is referenced from.

No intentions of going forced induction though. My goal is to have one of, if not the most powerful naturally aspirated 3800's on the street that will give the v8's a surprise. I have considered going turbo on the Trans Am though if I keep it. The Trans Am's fate is still up in the air, but I'll daily drive it this spring while the SLP GT is getting worked on.
                  aka FreedStyle
                  Chaddrich Freed

Comment

I should mention, there are several users here that have contributed to this new buld and the current setup. In no particular order, thanks to LETZRIDE, Z26v6, Warshrike, memphis_raines, Meemporer, Shodown, 2000camarokid, Firehawk N Wv. These members all have sold one or more parts to me over the years that are still on the car. There are a handful of others as well that have contributed some knowledge to the buld process as well.

And I should mention espey_16 for an ARH cam that never made it. The package came open in the hands USPS somewhere along the line and an empty tube is all that made it to me. espey was very good to deal with though and refunded my money since USPS could do nothing to help, and this led to the purchase of the Intense stage 3 cam instead.
                    aka FreedStyle
                    Chaddrich Freed

Comment

Based on the picture...it looks new. Let's say GM decided to build what you have BUT reduce the size of the car by 25-30%? They would be a best seller I think. On the Wheeler Dealer Show on Cable...they fix up old classic cars...based in England. At the end of the show ...they show a page that shows what they bought the car for and itemize the parts they bought....do you have any idea how much $$$ you invested in parts?
                      Phil

Comment

Cam will do fine with fuel injection. The only difference between a carb and fuel injection is a carb is mechanical delivery based on jets floats etc and fuel injection delivery thru a computer reading sensors. Fuel injection is just way more precise so it should run awesome. The best carbs in the world can't compete with fuel injection.

Comment

I don't know an exact amount, but I would estimate less than $5,000 in parts so far. That doesn't include wearable items like oil, tires, wiper blades, etc. Hell, tires alone ran me nearly $900.
                          aka FreedStyle
                          Chaddrich Freed

Comment

Based on the looks...paint...no dings plus mods..the 5K was well spent. I trust you will keep it for at least five years or more.
                            Phil

Comment

Thanks. I won't lie, there was plenty of other parts bought and later sold for a minor loss or the same as what I paid for, like a supercharger, a pair of turbos and a Wings West body kit, but I learned my lesson on those and jumping the gun instead of thinking things out first. The body kit was the only thing I took a loss on, I broke even on the turbos and came out $200 ahead on the supercharger. I bought that for $400 and sold it for $600 thanks to ebay.

And I have absolutely zero intentions of ever letting this car go... maybe to my, son when he's old enough, but that's 15 or more years down the road.
                              aka FreedStyle
                              Chaddrich Freed

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X