Help identifying a sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying a sound

My son says his 2002 V6 Camaro has a sound that I finally heard tonight. Sounds like a lifter to me. Taps really loud when engine is cold and revs with the engine's RPM. He goes to college 200 miles away so I don't get to check it out very often. He says the sound comes and goes. Collapsed lifter maybe? Is it something to be really concerned with? Any solutions short of replacing lifters? I wonder what that will cost?

Re: Help identifying a sound

try to get him to take a video of the sound and post it. That's the easiest.
    In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
    2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

Never thought of that and since he is an Electronic Arts (Computer Animation) major he should be able to do that. I'll attach that next time,

A shop I sometimes use suggested a BG engine flush and oil change. They said it would be under $100. Anyone have experience with that?

Comment

Sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CClUSBlsGc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzlLaQXIxeY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOCyT-l47es

Comment

None of those were very distinctive but I found a few others that were. All were lifters clacking. I'm going to try the Seafoam treatment Wednesday when it's supposed to be warmer. I'll let y'all know how that goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Winch View Post
            Never thought of that and since he is an Electronic Arts (Computer Animation) major he should be able to do that. I'll attach that next time,

A shop I sometimes use suggested a BG engine flush and oil change. They said it would be under $100. Anyone have experience with that?
            I've always been skeptical of what an "engine flush" even is, seems like $100 oil change in my eyes. Post a video of the sound, someone here will know..
            In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
            2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

I don't have a video of the sound yet. I put Seafoam in the oil as instructed and it has helped a little. We haven't driven it much yet to see if it's going to clear it up. I'm sure the sound is a lifter and now it's only when he first starts the car and it goes away in a couple of minutes.

When I put the Seafoam in I noticed light beige foam in the oil input tube and the cap (see pic). It doesn't appear to be on down in the tube and the oil on the dipstick looks good. I've never seen this. It looks like when oil and water get mixed. Can there be condensation at the top of the tube?
              Attached Files

Comment

Very bad sign. When antifreeze and oil mix they produce what you see....This means some very serious engine problems in the making. I would google this and see all the posts I saw on this. -3800 pro Google this and read it.
                Phil

Comment

I would be more worried if I saw it like that on the dip stick, but it's very clean looking there. I wonder if my son used the same funnel for oil after using it for antifreeze.

Comment

looks like condensation. not oil-coolant mix...

Comment

Upper and lower manifold gaskets
                      Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
                        looks like condensation. not oil-coolant mix...
                        X2 on condensation, when you seafoamed it did you drive it for awhile and then change the oil.
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Did you at all consider bringing to a mechanic?
                          Phil

Comment

He said a shop he uses suggested a engine flush, other than that they would have to start pulling parts off to see whats wrong. I only have one mechanic that I trust my car to and I haven't seen him for about 8 years. I like doing the work myself, like others who post on here. Save money and enjoy working on cars.
                            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

You want to be careful with an engine flush.

I think I'd pull one rocker cover, first. If you see a lot more of that tan "shaving creme" stuff, put the cover back on and tear the engine down because it likely has a coolant leak into the engine, perhaps from a head gasket.

If you get the cover off an find a lot of oil sludge, an engine flush can be a "double-edged" sword. Sometimes it loosens/dissolves so much sludge that the oil filter and small oil passages become restricted. If the engine is badly sludged, it means the oil was not changed often enough. If the engine is also high-mileage, it likely needs an overhaul.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X