No announcement yet.

Firebird W68 - My LSX Swap thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Firebird W68 - My LSX Swap thread.

You may have already gone through this, and I think I remember you saying you were going to use F-body accessories, but you are definitely going to want to use an F-body alternator. The truck alternator will work but does not use the rear mounting bracket like the F-body style. You can get away with the truck alternator on an LS1 block, but as you may have found with an iron block you will be missing 2 mounting points for the front alternator bracket. The center mounting point you will have to do without unless you get very creative, but the upper drivers side bolt hole you will need to drill and tap into the block. For this reason you will need the rear mounting point for the alternator.

I found this thread helpful:
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...ron-block.html

Comment

Originally posted by bigairboarder44 View Post
      I know I used his posts multiple times when I was doing my swap. He's got some good knowledge and info.

Be sure to take a video and pictures after you get it running! :)
      I'm going to try to record the entire assembly and speed up the video.

Originally posted by techsan23 View Post
      You may have already gone through this, and I think I remember you saying you were going to use F-body accessories, but you are definitely going to want to use an F-body alternator. The truck alternator will work but does not use the rear mounting bracket like the F-body style. You can get away with the truck alternator on an LS1 block, but as you may have found with an iron block you will be missing 2 mounting points for the front alternator bracket. The center mounting point you will have to do without unless you get very creative, but the upper drivers side bolt hole you will need to drill and tap into the block. For this reason you will need the rear mounting point for the alternator.

I found this thread helpful:
      http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...ron-block.html
      Yeah. I am definitely using FBody Alternator.

Color scheme:
      Block, Valve Covers, Intake Manifold: Pontiac Blue
      Accessories: Black ..

What should I do for front and rear suspension? I wanna replace while I can but I don't want to lower it as the car is scraping pretty bad as it is.
      1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Buying Tires this Friday, it's called the !Metal&Rubber Mod and buying a headlight motor gear from rodneyd!ckman for the driverside motor. My driverside motor refuses to come up without assistance. Gear didnt strip but it raises slower than my passenger side motor. I think B-Frankers gears are alittle too heavy for the motor which causes enough resistance for the motor to think its at a stop point. Im hoping Rodneys gear works as his is considerably lighter as its hollow inside. If not then I need to buy a new headlamp motor...again...these are getting extremely annoying to replace.

Meanwhile - I'm buying Wiring Harness on August 6th as well as all the final accessories (alternator, belts, hoses, radiator) and paying labor on August 21st and that will wrap up my project - unless I decide to go with a LS6 Cam and Springs and do some suspension work while I'm here too...

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Camaro View Post
          Buying Tires this Friday, it's called the !Metal&Rubber Mod and buying a headlight motor gear from rodneyd!ckman for the driverside motor. My driverside motor refuses to come up without assistance. Gear didnt strip but it raises slower than my passenger side motor. I think B-Frankers gears are alittle too heavy for the motor which causes enough resistance for the motor to think its at a stop point. Im hoping Rodneys gear works as his is considerably lighter as its hollow inside.

I have Rodneys brass gears. Installed them 75K miles and EXACTLY 7 years ago today! (I have a speadsheet with all work and parts. ;)) He is ALWAYS my recommendation to anyone with headlight gear issues. :rock:

Last edited by FirebirdGT; 07-18-2012, 10:12 PM.
          Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
            I have Rodneys brass gears. Installed them 75K miles and EXACTLY 7 years ago today! (I have a speadsheet with all work and parts. ;)) He is ALWAYS my recommendation to anyone with headlight gear issues. :rock:

I found out what it was.. connector got water in it and the plug corroded ...replaced via warranty

Comment

I purchased the Wiring Harness and paid to have it reworked so it will be here within a few weeks. Kmember is also on the way as we are shipping one from a 98 transam.

I am almost done. I also got a cheap flowmaster YPipe and going for a Catback and Longtubes.

Now I just need a PCM, Alternator, Radiator and Hoses.

Comment

My Firebird blew the original motor Monday August 20th at 8:15 PM on my return trip home. It honestly had alot of things running against it so Im surprised it held on this long especially since my commute is 50 miles one way. I'm on the bus now.

The new motor is almost finished though so there's light at the end of the tunnle. My car is going to be trailered to my mechanic sometime this weekend.

The Kmember appears to need new Tie Rods, can I use my stock V6 ones or should I just buy new ones? I ordered my headers, belts, alternator, radiator, radiator hoses and LS1 F-Body car cable driven gas pedal.

He painted it and put the heads on. Accessories are going to be black. I am thinking black valve covers and blue intake. Im almost there...

Remaining parts:
                - 2002 LS1 F-Body PCM and tune for 3.42 gears and V6 Gauges
                - Oil sending unit
                - TPS
                - 2 High Flow Cats
                - 3" Catback

Photos -

New motor:

Old motor:

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 08-25-2012, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Headers are here.

Wiring Harness, Hoses, Radiator and Gas Pedal will be here mid-late next week as shipping got delayed on them.

I need a 2002 tuned PCM for 3.42 gears, V6 Gauges and 160 Thermo... where can I get?

Comment

PCM4less or another tuning co.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Making progress. Ignition Coils and PCM ordered. Half labor paid ... work begins September 19tg. Will have all remaining parts and labor on 21st.

PCM specs -
                      2002 PCM
                      Delete rear O2s and Evap
                      3.42 Gears
                      V6 Gauges

Everything is set!

Comment

More stuff done.

Wiring Harness, Radiator, Hoses and Alternator arrived. Pics below.

Also ordered Oil pressure switch, and new tie rods for the LS1 KMember (needs them).

Next purchases: LS1 LID, 3" High Flow Cats, Muffler (haven't decided which yet but probably just a $50 ebay muffler), New Brakes / Rotors, Remaining labor and exhaust labor, Silver Faced Gauges, New Tires.

Harness has the following:
                        Master Power Switch
                        Manual Fan Switch
                        Electric Water Pump Switch
                        Interior Neons Switch.

Are these the only two hoses I need?

Needs a new pulley. Um, can my V6 alternator pulley work? - Is also going to be cleaned / repainted.

LS1 Radiator.

---

Its not all brand new stuff but will work for now.

Anyone interested in buying a busted 3.8L, Transmission, and K-Member?
                        Last edited by Need4Camaro; 09-12-2012, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Attained the Tie Rods and Oil Pressure switch.
                          PCM has been completely tuned and will be shipped on Monday.
                          Im hoping to begin the swap by Wednesday.

Comment

This is a good thread...SUBSCRIBED!

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Camaro View Post

Are these the only two hoses I need?
                              You'll need the smaller hose that goes from the crossover steam tube on the heads to the radiator. There's also the over-flow, but your old one should work just fine.

Comment

The car is getting towed tonight ... It begins >:)

Wish me luck. Will try to get pics but I wont. Beable tl see most of it in person cuzz.I'm on the bus

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X