No announcement yet.

Firebird W68 - My LSX Swap thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Firebird W68 - My LSX Swap thread.

I had a real mechanic look at the car. He believes there are bad bearings, most likely because coolant got into them while the car was running and washed them out. Basically, whole motor is toast and is on borrowed time before it completely siezes up. I am just ganna replace it with a long block... But slightly different this time... An built LQ9 for weekend purposes. I need another DD...any recomendations?
    Last edited by Need4Camaro; 01-03-2014, 12:47 PM.
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Sucks to hear, but you can't go wrong with the LQ9 , how about a motorcycle for DD?
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
        Sucks to hear, but you can't go wrong with the LQ9 , how about a motorcycle for DD?
        That sounds kinda interesting, never really thought of that. I'd need a special license - good on gas... but I dunno how confident I feel riding a motorcycle in Atlanta traffic, people here arent exactly the best drivers...even my Firebird has been hit 4 different times since 2009 and none of those were my fault.

I just dont wanna go flying off the thing into a ditch resulting in this thread being closed :P

Comment

I can't blame you for not wanting to drive in traffic on a bike , thats the reason I got rid of my 750 GSXR so many years ago, the last incident that made me want to get rid of it is when a driver turned left in front of me and I had to almost lock it up not to hit his car. I was done after that. Before that people would change lanes and run me off the road or to the other lane. If your looking for a DD , why not look for a decent 3.8 Camaro/firebird since you know the cars and the engine and what not. I'm sure their pretty cheap and get good gas mileage and easy to work on.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Cut your losses and move on.
            Phil

Comment

Originally posted by PalmHarborBlkv6 View Post
              Cut your losses and move on.
              I wouldn't give up on it that easy, LQ9 idea is a good one.

Comment

If you're going to keep at it, just do a swap with a stock motor. No mods to it, stock motor that has what it needs to work in an F-Body. Get it running and driving first, then worry about building power...
                aka FreedStyle
                Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
                2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by CFreed11 View Post
                  If you're going to keep at it, just do a swap with a stock motor. No mods to it, stock motor that has what it needs to work in an F-Body. Get it running and driving first, then worry about building power...
                  When you say stock motor, do you mean 5.7 LS1? or just a bone stock any LS motor?

Comment

You owe it to yourself to do whatever the hell you want with this car, lol. If nothing else it was one hell of a lesson on who to take your car to. I say go for it, you want a Lq9, lq9 that thing. If you wanna swap a 2j who cares, your car, your build, your dream. Make it happen.

Comment

whichever motor you plan on going with. I mean any stock motor, no aftermarket heads or cam or intake. If you want an LQ9, take an LQ9, put on the F-Body oil pan and accessories, an LS1 or LS6 intake, and drop it in. Just change the things that are necessary to work in an F-Body. Get your car running and driving to where you can at least enjoy it again. Then, down the road when your ready, go ahead and build some power, but get it running and driving again first.

Just my opinion...
                      Last edited by CFreed11; 01-05-2014, 01:47 PM. Reason: corrected statement on intakes
                      aka FreedStyle
                      Chaddrich Freed

Comment

whichever motor you plan on going with. I mean any stock motor, no aftermarket heads or cam or intake. If you want an LQ9, take an LQ9, put on the F-Body oil pan and accessories, an LS1 or LS6 intake (I believe an LQ9 would require an LS3 intake IIRC), and drop it in. Just change the things that are necessary to work in an F-Body. Get your car running and driving to where you can at least enjoy it again. Then, down the road when your ready, go ahead and build some power, but get it running and driving again first.

Just my opinion...
                        I completely forgot about the LS3 Intake, (which would require me to change alot of stuff) is that even with stock heads? what about LQ4? I want a Long Block to just drop in with the current intake / accessory setup (which has been confirmed to be operational) and just roll out from there.

Unless I can get someone who's selling the ENTIRE motor and top end as well... Maybe someone like Texas Speed? I know that will be pricey but at this point Im more concerned about it actually working.

Edit: I may just splurge and get an LS2 Long Block.. ..if they still make those?
                        Last edited by Need4Camaro; 01-05-2014, 01:37 PM.

Comment

I just looked it up, I was wrong. The LQ9 should work with an LS1/6 intake. I had it mixed up with the L92 for some reason, which is what would require the LS3 intake. Both LQ4/9 will work with a stock F-Body intake.
                          aka FreedStyle
                          Chaddrich Freed

Comment

I just looked it up, I was wrong. The LQ9 should work with an LS1/6 intake. I had it mixed up with the L92 for some reason, which is what would require the LS3 intake. Both LQ4/9 will work with a stock F-Body intake.
                            Now the million dollar question... Should I trust another shop (and have THEM order the motor) or just do it myself?

Comment

I would find one and order it yourself and make sure it has a warranty that comes with it like a 30 or 90 day warranty so you can have it installed and know its good. That way if something is wrong with it you can call them and take care of it and not trusting a shop to do it. If you do it then you know its taken care of. You could look at ebay motors or like TAcreations.
                              Last edited by ssms5411; 01-05-2014, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Sounds like you need to make some friends within the local scene.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X