Turbo time....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Turbo time....

im just saying that it sucks that the there are cheap methods for the v8's i know u have the 3.1

Comment

Oh sorry bro i didnt mean it like that...

But yea it suxs that V8 everything is so much cheeper, probly because everyone gives up on trying to make any Hp out of these motors i guess.LOL. Oh well one thing about a turboed V6 camaro is that its different and rarely will I ever see another anything like it.

Comment

Originally posted by fasteddi View Post
        Easy plug and play?? Thanks for the link, as this is going to be the most exspencive item, else then all the tuning (chip burning/datalogg)equiptment that i had prior to this...
        ya just wire it for power (power/ground). Comes with 02 sensor and 02 bung to weld into exhaust.

goodluck with the build, cant wait for some 1/4 and dyno numbers!

Comment

:tup:I cant wait either, keep in mind this is a little turbo, Ill be extatic with 235Hp at the crank!!! Remember that this thing with the mods it did have, mabey...made 155-160 at the crank before all of this with a great tune that took me awhile. And no WB....LOL:excited: so a 70Hp gain would be f-in nice!!

Ill be purchasing the WB o2 kit in 2 weeks..thank you tax refund!!!!!
          I did get a innercooler, its a lil volvo 740 one(25 bucks shipped to my house), but will keep detination down till i someday upgrade the turbo to a bigger one and then ill get a good IC.

But in all honesty i really dont care about HP numbers.. Im chasing those 14's in the quarter mile.. those mid-high 16 second passes got old:mad:

You gotta remember that this build is as cheep as it can be.... I might have 450 bucks wraped up into it when im done, that was mainly because of safety stuff( WB o2 kit, 3 bar map) thats 200+ bucks right there. Thank fully i had the tuing equiptment already(moates stuff/aldl cable/laptop)

Comment

Latest pics, the exhaust is completly done! Thank god this isnt my daily driver, as it would definitly have clearence issues if it was, this car is just a toy, for the track and some driving.

I had to add a ex. clamp to the one pipe as it was a PITA to weld the top of the jopint next to the block. I lost 2 1/2 '' of clearence. But with me in the car and a 200+ lbs guy bounching the car, it didnt hit the ground. But well see how it goes then its all said and done.

As ive been workin on this I see alot of things I would do different for the exhasut sections, but like I said if i can gain 60-80Hp with this ill be as happy as can be.
            I also ordereds some 4ply silicon reducers one(3''-2 1/2'' for throttle body) and (2 1/2''-2'' for turbo) Im sure ill have to get more but untill i get the innercooler i cant.

Also I got the t fitting and barbs for the Oil feed and the oil return. Hopefuully Ill get time to weld up the bung for the oil pan/oil return. Im told that is the most difficuly part of the build by many, as its a PITA to get the bung welded tight since you can just run a hot bead on it, you have to tac, tac, tac, all the way arround the bung.

Heres where im suppose to weld the return oil feed/bung to.

Comment

Well i changed my mind about the turbo, being so small, I decided to sell it or just hold onto it and get a better one from e-bay, along with a external wastegate, all the flanges, and all the stuff needed for the proper oil lines. This cost me 278$$ today... WTF i though i was gonna do a cheep build. Well change of plans. So As of now ive spent about 350 on what i will have and what i already had.

All i am going to do is cut off the old flanges on the exhaust and reweld the new ones. That seems easy enough as long as the turbo is about the same width.

Heres the turbo specs.
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/250648441724...84.m1439.l2649

wastegate
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/330440198806...84.m1439.l2649

I actually got both exhaust flanges, the turbo, and the wastegate for 187 bucks shipped. Not bad and my friends got the same turbo on his camaro, and made 287RWHP on a dyno, with the same exhasut set up, but a really good tune!! And balls to dyno at 15Psi.

Comment

I though I would list what ive spent so far and what the total cost of all this would be if anyone thought of doing such a task. Project89 did a few awsome write ups that are stickys(thirdgen.org)..But though Id just add what all I got.

Turbo. $118 shipped t3/t4 hybrid
                Blow off valve. $29 shipped JDM cnc
                Wastgate. $37 shipped 38mm external w/8psi spring
                3 Bar Maps sensor. $40 shipped
                2 silicon reducers. $17 shipped 4/ply
                All materials for oil lines. $85 shipped
                2 Turbo exhaust flanges. $32 shipped
                Innercooler. $25 shipped Volvo 740
                2 1/2 '' piping for charge pipe and exhaust. $40
                Misc. Items such as 90* bends, RTV, t-fittings, argon/co2. welder wire, colder plugs $120

This list above is roughly $545, these are the items i have already.

I still need to buy a WB o2 sensor kit-est $160
                30lbs Injectors-pending to buy from TGO member??
                Boost gauge. $25
                Boost controler. $15

These items above that I do not have are roughly $230

Heres what All i have and what needs to be purchased. Actually is quite alot but cheeper then I though...I was thinking closer to $1,000 but i did skimp on a larger innercooler.

So for about $775 dollars I have the needed items, and have been doing quite well on spending a little here and there so I dont go completly broke. Ebay is my best friend as, I know there is better stuff out there, but those items are just what I need at a price that I can afford.

I already had the tuning equiptment, chips, burner, and such a while back... thankfully!
                Last edited by fasteddi; 01-29-2012, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Heres some pics, from the new parts, turbo and such

Oil return inlet

More stuff

Comment

Intercooler

Some ok.. welding. On the wastegate flange...

Comment

Comment

Video for you to see. I got alot of work ahead of me but i def. on my way!
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B88Wi...6u2DlcHB5XGFW2

Comment

Looking good. I'm digging your new turbo.

Are you still planning on running NA for the track? It seems like you're way too deep now.

Comment

Yea im sorta in it too deep..LOL I guess its turbo only at the track.

I wish I could have ran it N/A though, at least once. But those mods i did on the engine will help this turbo breath better anyways.

Comment

Heres the oil line i started to make up. that is some heavy heavy hose. I need to do a few things there but its almost done, Also i finished up the charge pipe from the intercooler to the turbo, im jsut waiting for a BOV adapter to put in the line.

I know im cheep to and didnt use all mandral bends but its all i can do for now and the piping is 2 1/2 inch.. so the charge pipe is really a little over 2 inches in the corners, but I would think that would still support 250Hp, which is about what im aiming for. Thanks to the cam and ported heads.

And honestly if this works and im liking the turbo, i WANT to make log style headers this next winter and hopefully I can afford to run the piping right. But this is trial and error and I need to learn how to tune once it runs anyways.

My oil return, its not zip/clamped up yet so its not on the nice downward angle it will be...

Heres the charge from the IC up to the TB

Last edited by fasteddi; 02-04-2012, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Its starting to look like a turbo build. Only piping still needed is the hardest one. the charge pipe to the Intercooler.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X