Started porting upper.middle.lower intake - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Started porting upper.middle.lower intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Started porting upper.middle.lower intake

have now removed one head.. its too cold to get the other off today. the garage is frezzing.
    Has anyone ported the lower manifold where it meets the head?? Pictures??? There is alot of curves in there and im not sure what to do.

Leave that alown and just port match the contour of the curves???

Comment

Those sure are some crappy exhaust ports. Well i got alot of porting to do so i can at least notice a little difference with these heads!

Comment

Heres a pic of the first exhaust port on the head i got ported today. I finished 2 but need to go back and smooth them out/polish them.

on the below picture you can see on the left port is gasket matched and the right side one hasent been touched yet. You can see much metal is there that can be removed let alown if you could feel the inside of the port...it is horrible. Hard to believe the car runs 16's with the heads like they were. So restrictive. I know these are crappy heads regardless, but anything has to be better!!

Comment

Nice work - those ports do look to be opened up quite a bit. Are you doing springs and rockers with the cam?
          I hear you with working in cold weather; I've been working in the driveway today and its slowly gone from the low to upper 40's. The breeze doesn't help much either.
          96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

Yea its cold out!! Thats for sure.

Yea I am getting new springs/retainers/locks
            A delta 260 grind cam w/lifters also.
            Im still questioning getting rockers..Im not positive that 1.6 roller tip rockers will not cause clearence issues in the valve cover.

Comment

From everything I read up on porting these heads I would make those intake humps into a shark fin. I was told getting rid of them hurt the flow on them. When my brother ported his heads he got rid of them all together, but I couldn't tell you if it ever made a difference because the car never ran after that.

Comment

Originally posted by 96blackmaro View Post
                From everything I read up on porting these heads I would make those intake humps into a shark fin. I was told getting rid of them hurt the flow on them. When my brother ported his heads he got rid of them all together, but I couldn't tell you if it ever made a difference because the car never ran after that.

Well im going to just match the contours of the hump and concentrate more on the size and casting of the walls on the ports.

Some areas in the ports are so sharp that it could cut your finger. That flashing is my main concern to smooth out along with open the ports.

I know the exhaust side was simple to smooth out and inlarge. The exhaust side alown has to help flow, at least the flow exiting.

Comment

One head is done and turned out well. It took about 8 or 9 hours but even if I get 10hp and worked for 18 hours on the heads ill be very happy!!! Here are a few pics along with one picture in which I have a question. Thanks for any advice on the last picture!!!

Here is my valve covers after I cleaned them up. The gray looks good with the intake.

Here is the valve guide area where I smoothed down some of the edges. Some of the casting was horrible!

Here is all the exhaust ports. Smooth as can be!!

Heres the picture in question...This is the lower intake area that connects to the head. Should I port the whole thing or just the sides and NOT the curve in the cast. Thanks for any advice. Im hoping that someone has ported these intakes and can help me a little with this.

Comment

Here are a few pics of the valve guide and bowl area. Seemed like this part of the porting took the longest. About 1 hour per bowl.

Comment

You can also unshroud the valves and open up the exhaust manifolds. The exhaust manifold inside diameter at the connector measures 1 5/8''. This can be opened up to about 2.0 ''.

Last edited by 3.4grapeofwrath; 11-23-2011, 06:44 PM.

Comment

I might deshroud the valves once i get both heads done. But wont that lower comp ratios??? Did you already port and polish those heads and put them back on? Any noticable gains? I got a delta 260 grind cam that is waiting to be put in once i get these heads done. But i still need to get new valve springs. Just woundering if all these hours of work on these heads is gonna help a little. Ive got about 10hrs rapped up just one head.

Comment

Yes it will lower the compression a little bit but I'm running a turbo. These heads are no longer on the car because I installed a new crate. You will diffidently notice a difference but lets remember its a 3.4.

Comment

Thanks. I know this motor is a slouch having the 140hp from factory. But I am just hoping to get a good 10-20hp from the porting and a cam. Then in the spring finish moding up my turbo stuff. That project is taking forever to finish. The exhaust routing is the hardest thig for me to finish. Then i need to learn how to tune with the megasquirt. But that a dif project and for now i just need to get these heads right. One thing at a time makes it less overwhelming.

Comment

I aimed the left ports more tward the center of the chamber.. so that the groves of the port are directly aimed to the spark plug side.

Comment

anyone ever see a white colored valve before when they took apart there heads??? I found one today. Weird thing is... this car is a constant 16.6 to 16.9 seconds in the quarter mile car up to the day i took it apart as i race it all the time. Makes me think that cylinder is running lean but the car ran and preformed great up to the day i took it apart.

Any ideas???
                                Any way to check the injector flow without the car motor complete??

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X