Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was wondering if some of you guys with experience good give some pointers as to how to launce a manual? I havent ever raced a manual and I dont want to go to the track and stall out. any pointers would be helpfull thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by WickEdSix9838:
      </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> OK! Answer me dis. What rpm's do you recomend for launch on a 2000 A4 3.8 camaro? and which gear do you say I should launch in? 1st, 2nd, or Drive? (with street tires)
      how high you stall it depends on the track, if its hooking good, go higher, if not lower...and leave it in OD... </font>[/QUOTE]This isnt a very good answer. In my V6, it would stall all the way up to 2500. And it would hook. The thing is, it would cut 2.2 60's all day long. So i decided to try something. I launched at 1800. 2.10's. You have to just try different rpms and see what the best launch is for YOUR car.
      1996 CamaroRS <br />15.5 @ 86<br />Sold<br /><br />2000 Z28 Convertible 3700lbs<br />Lid, Cutout, yank 3600 Stall, built trans, snall cam, NX Wet kit.<br />11.3 @ 118<br />Best 60\' is 1.58<br />497 RWHP 475 RWTQ

Comment

What he said. 1800 seems to be the sweet spot for me. Stalling mine up to 2600 makes me pull like 3.0 60 foots and 16.9 runs...not to mention, tears my tire (open rear) up.

Practice practice practice. I try something new everytime I go to the track, and my times have improved from a 15.8 (feb 04) to a 15.4 (oct 04) with me just getting the launch down and finding the sweet spot of the launch speed.
        -1999 Camaro Coupe 3800 Series II V6 A4 - SOLD<br />-1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe

Comment

Amphilophus - Here is what I do, I get the rpm's up to about 4100. Release the clutch to that point right before it engages, light turns green, floor gas, feather clutch out. It will really just takes practice, more/less gas/clutch.

When you actually hit the track you can launch a little bit harder as your tires get better traction.

Comment

on streets i would launch anywhere from 1500 - 1700..im hoping to hook right up at 1800 and floor it with the ET streets..then i might see about a 3200 stall converter
            <b>12 SECOND DUAL STAGE DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO<br /><a href=\"http://www.mysickcamaro.50megs.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.MySickCamaro.50megs.com</a><br />Best ET: 12.82@103<br />Best MPH: 104.7<br />Best 60\': 1.75 - Stock TC</b><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Originally posted by Shodown:<br /><strong>1DV6 runs 12\'s...enough said. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

case in point, on the setup i have now v8 tho but same pricipal, I ran a 12.71 @ 112 w/ practice and lauching the car i ran a new best today of 12.03 @116 but i did add skinnies and took the front sway bar off

practice pratice practice!!!

what helps me i listen to my favorite song from my favorite band b4 each race!! i know im wierd lol

hope that helps some

-Brandon
              2000 Black T/A M6 343rwhp 349rwtq<br />11.94 @ 118 60\'1.79 Stock Internal<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/demonicbird00\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/demonicbird00</a> <br />AIM: W68Firebird97<br />R.I.P... Christine 12/25/02 <br />1997 Firebird W68 Black<br />14.887 @ 90.08

Comment

some people as far as launching with a auto is to roll off the line and then hammer down instead of on the brake and gas at the same time and holding any certain rpms

Comment

Originally posted by MO6969:
                  some people as far as launching with a auto is to roll off the line and then hammer down instead of on the brake and gas at the same time and holding any certain rpms
                  that works better on my car too. i can launch way way better when im rolling at 10 mph versus doing the double foot crap at the line. although ive only raced my car once.. what do i know.. lol
                  Dave:
                  00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
                  97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

"""that works better on my car too. i can launch way way better when im rolling at 10 mph versus doing the double foot crap at the line."""

doesnt that help EVERYONE get better traction!?
                    this is cheating
                    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

its not cheating cause if you listen to the motors on the top fuel cars they do the rolling start too with a 2 speed tranny 1 geared so low that it seems pointless but it gets them movin before they really drop the hammer so they don't just spin everywhere

Comment

Re: Advice to all drag racers....

For manual owners im on some cheapo dayton SR tires and my best launch is at 3k and shift around 5200 beyond that. But everyone's car is different....just mess around with it.

Comment

i know it was said but start small. weather it was just and intake or a new bored out motor. my first mod was a k&n intake and i tuned my car to that first. i know there is not alot of tuning involved with that but it is a start. if it takes 6 weeks or 6 months to get your car were you want at the least you know how your car runs. and i agree highly with loging. log log log your heart out it will only help. if one night you are runing 15's and the niext night you are hiting the 16 mark it may just be a differnt rpm at were you shifted but if you don't log you will never know. best of luck to all.

Comment

my firebird and all firebirds suck

Comment

Sorry my little brother got on my computer. I have a 2000 firebird and i love it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X