This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice to all drag racers....

This is jsut my opinion, take it or leave it don't care... just thought I would try to help you guys out...

1st, know your car, make sure you make runs with no flaws, that you squeezed every little bit of power out of your car before you start working on your car...

Reason for this being, when you see this you will see the weak point of your car... Then you can go from their... For example, I ran my car, I know more hp would be nice, but my next major mod is going to be LSD. I can hook the car nicely but not as nicely as I would like 2.1s aren't that great, I want 2.0s maybe 1.9s on street tires.

2nd... don't set big goals... of hitting 9s on your top secret motor. Work on improving your car slowly, and focus on your slip, to see what part you need to work on... mph, ET, 60', or even R/t(not related to time but important at the strip) If you are not sure what ot look for post here and everyone will jump in and help you.

3rd... Alot of people think money and power make the car a fast car... It does in a sense but you have to know how to get it ot the ground...

a 100 mph trap speed means the car has some power, but if he did that with a 2.5 60' means he most likely lost the race and ran a crappy time.

This sort of reiterates the 1st point in that you should know your car and get it to run perfect or near perfect instead of throwing money at it. Seems alot of people through money at their car....

Kind of like that one member, I think his name was like 10secondDream, where he invested like $8k into his car and it ran mid 16s. Because he invested it stupidly, like a race built tranny built to run 10s, even though his car did not make enough power.

Feel free to add anything to this anyone... Jsut my advice...

[ July 25, 2004, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: MustangEater8251 ]

1) Run your OWN race.
    Who cares what the other person ran???

2) Practice, practice, practice
    Just by doing this you will learn a lot

3) Don't be afraid to experiment.
    A slight change in tire psi, weight relocation, or weahter can definately make a difference

4) Take your time with mods and learn how they react on YOUR car.
    Every car is slightly different and will respond to mods slightly different.

5) I'll think of some more to add [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
    nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
    2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
    2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 12secondv6:
      1) Run your OWN race.
      Who cares what the other person ran???

2) Practice, practice, practice
      Just by doing this you will learn a lot

3) Don't be afraid to experiment.
      A slight change in tire psi, weight relocation, or weahter can definately make a difference

4) Take your time with mods and learn how they react on YOUR car.
      Every car is slightly different and will respond to mods slightly different.

5) I'll think of some more to add [img]smile.gif[/img]
      <hr></blockquote>

all good ones...

focus on what works for your car, not everyone elses. One thing I always get asked is what do I shift at? That doesn't really mean much, my shift points change with my mods(mainly how my exhaust is) so it really should not affect your car too much, because your car most likely has different mods then mine.

ITs hard to explain, you have to fell when the power gives out and when you should shift into the next gear, but not push it too far, or it will slow you down.

And running your race is a good one... I focus on improving my car... when I go to my track, seems I get slammed against 4th gen v8s which usually toast me or really slow ricers that I beat...

seems to be few cars in in the high 14- low 15 area... off top of my head, GSRs, not highly modded DSMs, Newer Celicas, RSXs, Preludes, 5.0s, few 3rd gens but usually not many TPIs at my track. But even those are kind of rare, some run alot slower, some run alot faster. I just focus on beating myself and alot of times equals times to beat an opponent.

well unless I am against other v6 pony cars like f-bodies or Stangs, then I go full out head to head.

[ February 07, 2004: Message edited by: MustangEater8251 ]</p>

Comment

teh one thing i would add to what you guys said is to track the progress of the car in writing.
        whenever i go to teh track i will write down details of my runs in a log book. before i got the book i used to jsut write on the back of my timeslip.
        playing with the small adjustable details of a car is great, but you need ot be able to reference it to make it truely useful.

good thread

later
        tim
        NJ SPEEDER<br />1976 Camaro LT<br />Crate 350, TH350, 3.90 posi<br />New Jersey F-Body Owners Association<br /><a href=\"http://www.NJFBOA.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.NJFBOA.org</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by njspder:
          teh one thing i would add to what you guys said is to track the progress of the car in writing.
          whenever i go to teh track i will write down details of my runs in a log book. before i got the book i used to jsut write on the back of my timeslip.
          playing with the small adjustable details of a car is great, but you need ot be able to reference it to make it truely useful.

good thread

later
          tim
          <hr></blockquote>

Tht is a good idea... I have personally tried remebering things and mixed stuff up and made a mistake twice [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Get your launch down. I cut 2.0x's on T-rated bald street tires in a 5 speed because i know exactly how much rpm to launch at, exactly how much clutch to give, and how much gas to give. more practice!
            2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MustangEater8251:
              2nd... don't set big goals... of hitting 9s on your top secret motor.<hr></blockquote>
              It's not a secret! It's a reality! Just ask Elvis about his 9 second 3.4 n/a!! [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]

Sorry people, but I had to do it. :D
              <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

Log log log log log. And, then you're not logging enough. Knowing what you did, when, how, with what, etc. will help you analyze and make the needed adjustments for later on. Go grab a nice little spiral notebook or whatever and take notes, tape in slips, etc. And make yourself a computerized spreadsheet of each slip (or the top 6 times, etc) from each time out -- graph the results.
                -Rob
                <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

i recomend either summit or jegs log books. i have been using the summit ones for a few years. every pass has a place to write down you tire pressure, weather conditions, and even dial in if you are practicing or keeping in brackets. then on the opposing page there is a space where you can put general notes about the run, like if you spun a little, tried a different launch rpm, staged differently or felt it was a really good or really bad stage. they are gret tools to learn with and keep advancing. when it is all laid out next to each other you can see what does and doesn't work sooooo easily.

later
                  tim
                  NJ SPEEDER<br />1976 Camaro LT<br />Crate 350, TH350, 3.90 posi<br />New Jersey F-Body Owners Association<br /><a href=\"http://www.NJFBOA.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.NJFBOA.org</a>

Comment

Glad I started this thread... I think I am going to start logging as well [img]smile.gif[/img] I keep my timeslips and look at what the number read from the date but might start logging them.

Comment

Originally posted by MustangEater8251:
                      Glad I started this thread... I think I am going to start logging as well [img]smile.gif[/img] I keep my timeslips and look at what the number read from the date but might start logging them.
                      Yep, i just started doing this, but the main thing I'm after is weather conditions, and how much they affect my times.
                      New Car: 2004 GTP Comp G (Test Vehicle) 13.936@99.32 <br />Mods: Cylinder Filter,No Mufflers, 3.3\" <br />Old Car: 2000 Formula 13.124 @ 106.01 with 2.73\'s<br />Other Car: 1993 Firebird 16.1@83

Comment

**** im doing it a$$ backwards, iv never been to the track and im trying to biuld a 10 sec car [img]graemlins/slap.gif[/img]
                        www.turbov6camaro.com
                        1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                        4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                        7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                        11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

GET NOS! A 300 shot should be good

Comment

I hope that Big Hawgs comments on this. He is the greatest street racer in Houston.

I was wondering how much E.T. improvement did the !drivebelt give you. Hopefully Big Hawgs can comment on that too.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Clark:
                              I hope that Big Hawgs comments on this. He is the greatest street racer in Houston.

I was wondering how much E.T. improvement did the !drivebelt give you. Hopefully Big Hawgs can comment on that too.

Thanks!
                              Tips on street racing really won't help you much at the dragstrip. Dragstrip is sort of ghetto Dynotune. You can see which areas a car is hurting off a timeslip and go from there to improve it. Street racing you really can't. hell you could have a faster car and lose because you didn't get a good r/t and not even know it.

As for !drivebelt I gained 1.3-1.5 mph on average, 0.19-0.22 off my ET.

Hawgs can comment on it all he wants [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X