X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MustangEater8251:
    Dragstrip is sort of ghetto Dynotune.
    [/QB]
    Maybe I'm reading that wrong but it sounds like you are saying that dynotuning is more important than real world racing. The strip or even the streets would provide much better info since all of the factors of the car would have to be accounted for. I mean on a dyno, you can't add steering and suspension or airflow into the equation. A lot of dyno shops will tweak a motor so it puts out the most hp/torque as possible but when the car is put back on the street, they untweak the motor since those adjustments are not the best for the street, only the dyno.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerriko:
      </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MustangEater8251:
      Dragstrip is sort of ghetto Dynotune.
      Maybe I'm reading that wrong but it sounds like you are saying that dynotuning is more important than real world racing. The strip or even the streets would provide much better info since all of the factors of the car would have to be accounted for. I mean on a dyno, you can't add steering and suspension or airflow into the equation. A lot of dyno shops will tweak a motor so it puts out the most hp/torque as possible but when the car is put back on the street, they untweak the motor since those adjustments are not the best for the street, only the dyno. [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]I know what you are saying... not a ghetto dyno tune more like a "low-tech" dyno tune.

when I see one of my timeslips I can always see where I need to improve mycar or my driving, to get peak performance. anyways a reall dynotune guy woudln't go for a peaky high hp curve he wants a nice flat, high curve, with lots of usable power, not power for 300 rpms.

Comment

okay i do this at the track keep notes. but onething that i find difficult is that i have a automatic. i really don't know i to step on the gas. obviosly not to punch at the get go. so please give me some advice on racing a automatic

Comment

Originally posted by 2001V6Power:
          i really don't know i to step on the gas. obviosly not to punch at the get go. so please give me some advice on racing a automatic
          What exactly are you concerned about? ET or reaction time?

For ET:

At the starting line you will want to use two feet - one on the brake and one on the gas. At idle you will see the car is around 600 RPM. Try raisng the RPM to 1200 and launch from there. If that is better, raise it to a higher RPM and try it again. Keep experimenting until you find what RPM is best for your car to launch.

When you go, simultaneous release the brake pedal and push the gas pedal as hard as you can without breaking traction. A little wheel spin is OK, but my 2nd gen Trans Am runs 12.81 with 1.73 60' time, and I can launch it with no wheelspin. If you are having wheelspin, change tires, rearend setup or chassis set up to get better traction.
          1995 Camaro M5 3.4 Quasar Blue Metallic with T-tops.<br />K&N, Jet Stage II chip, Z28 exhaust, 1LE aluminum ds. Need more power!<br />Next: Auburn posi<br />1976 Pontiac Trans Am. Street driven. Has low compression 350 Chevy runs 12.81 @ 104, 1.73 60\'

Comment

I had the same traction problems here...usualy lauched between 1300 to 1500 rpms and I always left an aprox. 2 foot skid. With only minor upgrades; cold air, filter, z exhaust, sparks, belts, and thermo it just didn't sound right so I got some new tires and I haven't spun since. BF radials here.

Comment

Very good thread. I would like to throw in some advice for the guys with autos. (some may apply to 5 speeds also)

Do a burnout. doesnt matter if your on street tires, you want to clean them off. Trust me. Also-Go around the water. Its not good for you.

2nd, experiment with your launch rpms especially in an auto. My 96 RS could stall up to 2500 rpms. I always launched there cause i didnt know any better. I would cut mid-high 2.2s-2.3s. thats on a 3.42 lsd. :eek:
              Instead i started experimenting and found that my best rpm to launch at was around 1600.then i was cutting low 2.1s.

Its all about practice. find out how your car runs best. mine had 120k miles, so it didnt run good at all. but i mustered up a 15.5 with a slipping transmission. Come to think about it, i wish i wouldve taken it back to the track after i got the tranny fixed, cause i put headers on too. i think i couldve gotten a 15.0, but who knows.

Anyways, this is a good thread. [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img]
              1996 CamaroRS <br />15.5 @ 86<br />Sold<br /><br />2000 Z28 Convertible 3700lbs<br />Lid, Cutout, yank 3600 Stall, built trans, snall cam, NX Wet kit.<br />11.3 @ 118<br />Best 60\' is 1.58<br />497 RWHP 475 RWTQ

Comment

There is a difference between doing a burnout and giving your tires a spin. Doing a burnout on street tires = tread loss , with NO BENEFITS! If you want to show off go for, if you want it to help you out just spin them enough to clean them.

2nd. If someone ever uses the words "Trust me". Don't listen to them.
                00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

Ok i wont listen to you.

Why would you not listen to me saying to spin your tires to clean them off?
                  1996 CamaroRS <br />15.5 @ 86<br />Sold<br /><br />2000 Z28 Convertible 3700lbs<br />Lid, Cutout, yank 3600 Stall, built trans, snall cam, NX Wet kit.<br />11.3 @ 118<br />Best 60\' is 1.58<br />497 RWHP 475 RWTQ

Comment

Originally posted by SlowCamaro96:
                    Ok i wont listen to you.
                    Did I say "trust me" other then quoting you? No I did not. People use the phrase "trust me" when they don't have facts to back up their stance or are just too lazy to list them. I on the other hand gave you reasons for why not to do a burnout.

Why would you not listen to me saying to spin your tires to clean them off?
                    You didn't say give your tires a spin. You said do a burnout. Burnout requires smoke to form thus burning off tread. I said don't do a burnout, just give them a spin to clear them off. Now how about you read what I post and let it soak in for a little bit before you attempt to "respond".
                    00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

Alright i felt i stated facts pretty plainly. And besides, if you spin your tires, chances are theres going to be a little smoke. Im sorry i dont know the technical lingo you like to use, but last time i checked they called it a burnout box for a reason. Spin your tires = burnout imo.

Damn now i know why i stopped posting here :(

Comment

Yup its called a burnout box because most of the cars that roll through have drag slicks and have to do a burnout to heat up the tires and make them sticky. Street tires don't require a burnout, thats why you don't do it lol. However giving them a spin is a good thing. Also making your tires spin for a second doesn't make smoke and if it does its very little. Thats the only part of your post I corrected because you were giving bad advice.

We've solved the problem however because you didn't think of a burnout in the conventional manner. No need to get in a huff about why you stopped posting here. Relax and enjoy discussing something.

Comment

hey slowcamaro i also have a 96 rs w/122,000 miles and a slipping tranny shes completely stock and on friday night i ran her for the first ever (my first time, and hers) my best time was a 16.142@83.65. you ran a 15.5 in these same conditions, wow i must suck. could you post your other stats on your time and was your car completly stock, what kind of tires did you have, what was the temp. I had imagined that my car would ran in the high 15s so i was fairly dissapointed. anyone know what this car should run completely stock
                          96 RS dark green, 1st drag race ever 8/6/04 r/t .126, 1/4..16.142, mph..83.65, home made 3\" exhaust(ill post pics soon)turbo muffler, home made CAI<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/666045\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/666045</a>

Comment

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...0-60times.html

not sure about 96 ...95 says 15.7
                            <b>12 SECOND DUAL STAGE DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO<br /><a href=\"http://www.mysickcamaro.50megs.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.MySickCamaro.50megs.com</a><br />Best ET: 12.82@103<br />Best MPH: 104.7<br />Best 60\': 1.75 - Stock TC</b><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Originally posted by Shodown:<br /><strong>1DV6 runs 12\'s...enough said. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

OK! Answer me dis. What rpm's do you recomend for launch on a 2000 A4 3.8 camaro? and which gear do you say I should launch in? 1st, 2nd, or Drive? (with street tires)
                              Cardomain&gt; <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/7camaro7\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/7camaro7</a> <br />CarSponsorships.com&gt; <a href=\"http://www.carsponsorships.com/scout/sponsor.php?id=2358\"&gt;\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.carsponsorships.com/scout/sponsor.php?id=2358\"&gt;</a> <br />Webmaster\'s Earn Money Here&gt; <a href=\"http://www.carsponsorships.com/scout/index.php?ref=2358\"&gt;\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.carsponsorships.com/scout/index.php?ref=2358\"&gt;</a>

Comment

OK! Answer me dis. What rpm's do you recomend for launch on a 2000 A4 3.8 camaro? and which gear do you say I should launch in? 1st, 2nd, or Drive? (with street tires)
                                how high you stall it depends on the track, if its hooking good, go higher, if not lower...and leave it in OD...
                                <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X