No announcement yet.

Mustang GT vs. Z28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mustangs are cool cars.. I have driven some stock ones, and some 500plus HP ones.. Driving them stock felt like driving my stock V6.. Its quick but I would want to be able to hang with a LS1 at least stock vrs stock.. Driving the 500 hp Mustangs we built now thats fun but when You have a fully built Stage 2 Roush with a Novie 2000 18lbs boost, Tremec TKO, bult rear with 4.10's, and all the bolt ons, running at the track a 10.8@123 and get beat by a stock motor Heads and Cam Z28 sprayin a 100shot with a stock Tranny with a stall, stock rear with 3.42's, and boltons running a 10.6@128mph That kinda makes you feel bad.. How can this guy be running faster times then me when he has a stock motor and I have a fully built one?? How come my car makes 518rwhp and 485rwtq and his makes 565rwhp and 580rwtq on a 100 shot??

Just like the other Guy on here said this is my opinion but I do work on Mustangs, I am part owner of a domestic car performance shop, and my partner has a 91 GT that goes 8.3@166mph (race car).. I love mustangs and I love camaros its just when it comes down to it and you want to go fast with good gas miles and not alot of money a F-body is the way to go..
    Jeff ..
    1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
    2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
    1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
    http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

Originally posted by 1998silverbird:
      </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ellik:
      N/A is not the route to go with a mod. motor. The mustang guys will admit that. Strap on a procharger or vortec and its a different story though. $4k w/ 9psi shouldnt kill the motor and still get you well into the 400+RWHP range.

However, even with the 4v, I'll be the first to say I'd rather it had a GM engine
      It will kill the motor.. There are 2 main shops hear in Virginia Beach.. MAS, and Steen Racing.. each one of them have about 10 mustangs with mod motors out front with blown engines.. </font>[/QUOTE]Then they weren't tuned right, or running a very aggressive tune.
      <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

Some people are talking about big mods, what's faster ETC....

Well if your like me, I keep my car relatively stock, yet its still relatively fast, (burnt my buddies modded LT1 off a roll, he ran 13.7 best), and yet its a great daily drive. It has 2.73 gears, very awesome on cruising, still has power when I need it. (45-60 roll kinda sucks, bottom of 2nd). If your pushing a Heads/Cam or S/C car, I could only imagine the traction issues you'd have while regularly driving on wet roads, or even dry...

I did some simple stuff to the car, SLP fan switch, DMH Electric Cutout (was the hardest, need a shop), SLP lid, 17inch rims, hood, spoiler, and black berger bar. Looks sharp, and its still fast.

Plus I like the F-body look, not many people have them around me, they mostly have 99+ Mustang V6s or GTs. The T-Tops are one of the best parts in the spring/summer. Also I prefer the low riding seat compared to the Mustangs upright sitting.

Now the Mustang would be cheaper I bet, since there are alot more of them made. Insurance perhaps cheaper too, depends on your carrier, and the 4.6L is nice, IF you have a 5spd to go with it. The GTs are strong and respond well to mods too. 4.10s and exhaust do some nice work for the car I hear.

Your main problem will be finding a 6speed LS1 at a good price! Good luck! If you can't find a decent LS1, go for a 99+ GT, the LT1 would be my last choice, sorry to say, due to age/problems of the motor.

[ November 18, 2005, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: greatsave9 ]
        \'98 z28<br /> <a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/a245/GreatSave9/?start=all\" target=\"_blank\">http://photobucket.com/albums/a245/GreatSave9/?start=all</a>

Comment

Originally posted by camaro_speedemon:
          </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 1998silverbird:
          </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ellik:
          N/A is not the route to go with a mod. motor. The mustang guys will admit that. Strap on a procharger or vortec and its a different story though. $4k w/ 9psi shouldnt kill the motor and still get you well into the 400+RWHP range.

However, even with the 4v, I'll be the first to say I'd rather it had a GM engine
          It will kill the motor.. There are 2 main shops hear in Virginia Beach.. MAS, and Steen Racing.. each one of them have about 10 mustangs with mod motors out front with blown engines.. </font>[/QUOTE]Then they weren't tuned right, or running a very aggressive tune. </font>[/QUOTE]Ed Clarke is the tuner on most of the cars.. If not him we get Diablo programmer or chip.. The A/F is in the High 11's, its just the bottom end sucks in a 2v.. Like I said before check out with anyone who took apart a 4.6.. Aks them how strong the bottom end is..
          Jeff ..

Comment

is the bottom end of a 2v that different than a 99/01 4v?
            \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

Comment

"My other buddies 2001 Z28 weighs in at a wopping 3384.. Thats with everything in it"

"01 Z28.. LS1, T56, Non power options, No T-tops, No monsoon, No leather, 16 inch wheels tipped the scales at 3384."

Pretty much, its a 1LE car. Or the most base Z28 you can get. And you're comparing that to a car with power locks/windows, dressier wheels, and more than likely the Mach stereo? Yeah - great comparo.

Fully loaded V8 4th gens tend to tip the scales at near 3700lbs.

Oh, and you're not accounting for everything when you talk about weights [img]smile.gif[/img] There are quite a few differences between a true V8 car and a V6 car. Not just block, heads, tranny... haha

At first, I thought I was going to have a nice educated debate, but I hate to say it - most of the babble coming out is just that, babble. Uneducated at that. Then again, what do I know? I've only done some work for and with VT Engines - one of the premier modular performance engine companies. haha
              Mustangs.. Come to the darkside...<br /><br />The dark side is the path to the shadow of greed. =D

Comment

ok i read most of this.

My 98 Z28 FULL OPTIONS from the CHEVROLET DEALER cost me $10,500 with 45,845 miles.
                Ran 13.6 no- poor traction through first gear 2.3 60' dynoed 304hp 323.9 ftlbs of torque STOCK

On an LS1 the pushrods are weaker than "most"
                http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...toriously+weak [img]graemlins/twak.gif[/img]

The 10bolt 7.5" rearend in these cars suck!
                An updgrade to a 12bolt or 8.8/9inch is deffinetly advisable. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Other than that the LS1 is the way to go i had 3/4 of a tank of gas went around I270 here in ohio 10 miles on each side on just over 1/4 tank of gas
                http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...searchtab=home

best thing i can say is i havent found a mustang in my town that will beat me that is "street legal" in the respects of tires and fuel types.

not to mention i miss my 93 camaro only because of the time i had invested in the paint job and the wheels i had on the car but once i get in my 98 i forget about the car 100% it was worth it to me. Good luck and you can find a low-mid miled LS1 for around your price range and whats finance 1-3k? i did that when i was in highschool and worked summers only [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img]
                1998 Camaro Z28 M6 lets just say it breathes easy <br />*RedLineVSix*<br /><a href=\"http://www.redlinevsix.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.redlinevsix.com</a><br />1993 Camaro A4 16.67 1/4 SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by 1998silverbird:
                  </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by KBeezy:
                  ROOOOFFFFLLLL - You are kidding me. 90% of the V6s on here tip the scales at more than 3300lbs. You are smoking some SERIOUS crack here buddy.
                  my 98 firebird with a V6, t-tops, T5, power windows, doorlocks, none leather, none monsoon, 16inch wheels tipped the scales at 3340..

My buddies 01 Z28.. LS1, T56, Non power options, No T-tops, No monsoon, No leather, 16 inch wheels tipped the scales at 3384...

My roomates 01 Mustang GT.. 4.6, T45, power windows and locks, Non leather, 17inch wheels.. 3360

How much heavier do you think a all aluminum motor V8 is compared to a All cast iron V6?? I bet the LS1 and the 3.8 weigh ruffly the same.. My LS1 heads both weigh the same if not real close to one of my V6's heads.. My LS1 intake is plastic unlike my 3.8 intake which was 2 piece cast Iron. The trannies heavier between the T5, T56.. Auto's weigh the same.. The rear ends are the same on V8's and V6's.. The interior is the same..
                  </font>[/QUOTE]You're leaving out the part where the mustang has a full tank of gas. And you're on E. You're also probably counting the different weights of the driver.

The curb weight (full fluids, no driver) of the two vehicles:

Z28 3439 lbs.
                  GT 3241 lbs.
                  <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

Originally posted by camaro_speedemon:
                    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 1998silverbird:
                    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by KBeezy:
                    ROOOOFFFFLLLL - You are kidding me. 90% of the V6s on here tip the scales at more than 3300lbs. You are smoking some SERIOUS crack here buddy.
                    my 98 firebird with a V6, t-tops, T5, power windows, doorlocks, none leather, none monsoon, 16inch wheels tipped the scales at 3340..

My buddies 01 Z28.. LS1, T56, Non power options, No T-tops, No monsoon, No leather, 16 inch wheels tipped the scales at 3384...

My roomates 01 Mustang GT.. 4.6, T45, power windows and locks, Non leather, 17inch wheels.. 3360

How much heavier do you think a all aluminum motor V8 is compared to a All cast iron V6?? I bet the LS1 and the 3.8 weigh ruffly the same.. My LS1 heads both weigh the same if not real close to one of my V6's heads.. My LS1 intake is plastic unlike my 3.8 intake which was 2 piece cast Iron. The trannies heavier between the T5, T56.. Auto's weigh the same.. The rear ends are the same on V8's and V6's.. The interior is the same..
                    </font>[/QUOTE]You're leaving out the part where the mustang has a full tank of gas. And you're on E. You're also probably counting the different weights of the driver.

The curb weight (full fluids, no driver) of the two vehicles:

Z28 3439 lbs.
                    GT 3241 lbs.
                    </font>[/QUOTE]Did you do that comparison on Autotrader?? If so .. The Z28 weight is 3439 with a 4A transmission..
                    The Mustang weight is 3273 with a 5M transmission.. Compare the cars with the same tranny.. Manual or auto.. The fully loaded Camaro will probably only weigh 100lbs more then the Deluxe GT...

Oh yeah and my fully optioned WS6 weighs in a little over 3500 lbs not 3700 like you stated!!
                    Jeff ..

Comment

Originally posted by KBeezy:

Fully loaded V8 4th gens tend to tip the scales at near 3700lbs.

Oh, and you're not accounting for everything when you talk about weights [img]smile.gif[/img] There are quite a few differences between a true V8 car and a V6 car. Not just block, heads, tranny... haha

Like what?? Motor ,Tranny, Clutch, Flywheel, And driveshaft, shifter.. What else is there between a V6 firebird and a V8 firebird??
                      Jeff ..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X