Mustang GT vs. Z28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mustang GT vs. Z28

looking for a V8 rwd manual, and it's down to a mustang GT or a z28 (both mid-late 90's) Having started out with a V6 camaro i'm attracted to the mustang since it's some thing different, however the Z28's beastly 5.7 liter is a big plus. If any body here ever own a 90's mustang and camaro or have any advice/input I would appreciate it.

haha your on a camaro board [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    nuff said
    but the z28 is faster when comparing same years ;)
    heck most of the LT1's can beat the GT's all the way up through 2004 anyways
    millionformarriage.org

Why stop people from getting married?

Comment

if you want to know what years ford made good v8's then that would be 94/95 referred to as SN95 cars last years of the 5.0 HO motors, and in 99 they started putting in the moduler motors that are very good at going fast with bolt-ons. However in 1998 GM started using a motor called the LS1 which kicks *** as well. it really is gonna depend on what car YOU want. Everyone on here will say the Z28 cause we are all biased
      1987 Buick Grand National drivetrain in my 1993 Pontiac Firebird. PT53 turbo, 212/212 comp cam, 3400 lockup converter, stock heads, Precision bar & plate FMIC with 3\" piping, 1994 z28 rearend, hotwired walbro 255 fuel pump, Nitto drag radials

Comment

get a Trans Am
        2002 NBM Pontiac Firebird Formula<br />Mods: stock...<br />1997 Chevy Camaro *Gone*<br />Mods:Borla,headers,Magnaflow cat, SLP intake, NOS 5175

Comment

Impala SS? :D

Comment

well, the reason i dont like the mustangs is because the crappy trannys, slow motors compared to f-bodies, and its so cramped inside on of those. im only 5'11 and i fell like in 10'. just drive both and see what you think.
            2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

If you get a mustang GT, make sure it's a 94 (Still the 5.0) or a 99+. The 95-98 4.6 is a snail.

If you cant find a 94 and 99+ is out of your price range, stick with an LT1. Speed wise, the 99+ is roughly the same speed as an LT1. A 95-98 4.6 is roughly the same as a V6 Fbody.

Handling between the two is roughly the same. Having driven both, I like the way the Mustang drives a little better.

Drivers side has plenty of room, and is a little more comfortable then an Fbody. And the 'climb' out isn't as bad. It also doesn't feel like your laying down like it does in an Fbody. The passenger side however is very cramped. I'm 6'3 300lbs and its a very cramped. But how often do you ride in the passenger side of your own car ;)

One final thing, DO NOT GET AN AUTO. Ford autos suck *** so bad.
              <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

Originally posted by LD:
                heck most of the LT1's can beat the GT's all the way up through 2004 anyways
                You sure about that ;) 99-04 (manual) GTs and LT1s are a drivers race. If it's an auto, then the LT1 will win.
                <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

Originally posted by gergwheel:
                  ..... and in 99 they started putting in the moduler motors that are very good at going fast with bolt-ons.......
                  .....yeah, as long as your bolting on a supercharger. Even the 4v 4.6 thats in my Cobra doesnt come close to comparing to an LS1 car. It does handle a bit better than the f-bodies I drove though.

[ November 14, 2005, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: ellik ]
                  \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

Comment

Originally posted by camaro_speedemon:
                    If you get a mustang GT, make sure it's a 94 (Still the 5.0) or a 99+. The 95-98 4.6 is a snail.

If you cant find a 94 and 99+ is out of your price range, stick with an LT1. Speed wise, the 99+ is roughly the same speed as an LT1. A 95-98 4.6 is roughly the same as a V6 Fbody.

Handling between the two is roughly the same. Having driven both, I like the way the Mustang drives a little better.

Drivers side has plenty of room, and is a little more comfortable then an Fbody. And the 'climb' out isn't as bad. It also doesn't feel like your laying down like it does in an Fbody. The passenger side however is very cramped. I'm 6'3 300lbs and its a very cramped. But how often do you ride in the passenger side of your own car ;)

One final thing, DO NOT GET AN AUTO. Ford autos suck *** so bad.
                    i dont know why cause you're taller than me but i think its harder to get out of a mustang. and that feeling that your not laying down makes me feel like im driving a honda or cavy, not a sporty car.

Comment

Go with the Z28, your best off with the 98-99.

If you do decide to go with the GT go with the 94-95.
                      -Rick<br /><br />Bright White \'95 Firebird Convertible 3.4L A4 - Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back, Zexel Torsen Posi-traction, Black Checkered Stripes, Clear Corners, Misc. Appearance Mods.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2077741\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2077741</a> <br /><br />AIM ID: AxSlane

Comment

Originally posted by camaro_speedemon:
                        I'm pretty sure the 95s had 5.0s as well.
                        1998 M5 3.8 Mystic Teal Camaro<br />Flowmaster exhaust, Pacesetter headers, 3\" cat, 3\" S-pipe, whisper lid, ram air, Spec Stage 1 clutch, Poly Trans mount, Walbro 255LPH. Numerous appearance mods.<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533</a>

Comment

haha --- ahhh the bias..

Heres my comparo- from a guy who has owned both. But more f-bodies than Mustangs.

F-Bodies will give you more in the way of power when you start and may feel larger because they are a hatchback --- but a mustang is a true coupe. A seperate trunk more capable for hauling things and stereos if thats what you're in too.

As for people who dog Ford trannies - the 4L60E isn't THAT much better. It's just an electronically controlled 700R4, old technology as well. But anyone whos built trannies knows the C4 Ford is a BEAST! Lighter stronger AND more durable than any GM tranny I have ever owned.

94/95 are the first SN95 cars. 5.0 EFIs. Good cars, big aftermarket, easy to make fast.

96/97/98 are SN95 cars with the first of the 4.6 SOHC & DOHC motors. DOHC was Cobra only and 5spd only. GTs had 5spd or A4s. They were pre-PI heads and had composite intake manifolds which like GM intake manifolds (let me rephrase, like GM intake manifolds that still run Dex-Cool) are where coolant leaks begin. These cars can be had cheap and getting the power of the 99+ GT's is as simple as a head swap.

99-04 GT's had the PI headed cars and pretty much the same transmissions as the 96-98 cars. Though there were some updates and visually they changed as well.

03+ Cobras have the DOHC Eaton blown motors, the Terminator motors, and are easy LS1 eaters stock. 6spd Only.

03+ Mach 1's have the previous year Cobras N/A DOHC 4.6.. 5spd or A4.

The Modular Ford motors may start out slower than an LS1 or LT1 but for cheap they will run as fast and faster. There is, if you ask me, a much better aftermarket for Mustangs, but like everyone has said - you start out slower. They will also rev higher [img]smile.gif[/img] And everyone knows, Mustangs ALWAYS sound better! Ford knows how to do an exhaust!

I will say, insurance is much cheaper with my Mustang than it ever was with any F-Body.

If you want more info, I'll post again later. I'm not dogging the F-Body, but it all depends what you want. Personally, I love my 86 LX 5.0.....

How much $$$ are you looking to spend?
                          Mustangs.. Come to the darkside...<br /><br />The dark side is the path to the shadow of greed. =D

Comment

Originally posted by 98 3.8:
                            </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by camaro_speedemon:
                            I'm pretty sure the 95s had 5.0s as well. </font>[/QUOTE]You're probably right, I don't know a whole lot about mustangs yet.

Comment

Originally posted by KBeezy:
                              As for people who dog Ford trannies - the 4L60E isn't THAT much better. It's just an electronically controlled 700R4, old technology as well.
                              its not like its a 700R4 with a few sensors. its a far better tranny and a damn good one at that

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X