Best Buy installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Buy installation

I bought a Viper 5704/5901 security system with the 2-way remote and remote start from them. Anyone have experience and a review of the experience? I have heard some horror stories and just want to reassure myself. I don't want them messing with my stuff or anything. Ha.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Re: Best Buy installation

me personally i prefer compustar autostarts just better quality but alittle on the spendy side..but my girlfriend has a viper system in her 08 sentra and hasnt had to much of a problem just the usual not starting when it says it has

Comment

Interesting. I figured there would be a few SMALL problems. Nothing too much though because it is a $700 alarm after all.

Do you have any experience with the installs/installers employed with Best Buy?

Comment

I had good install from them on my Viper alarm.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

10-15 years ago I used Best Buy to work on my car with no problems. I went to two different stores to get a new head unit last year, and talking to them seemed like amateur hour.

Personally I would find a business that specializes in that type of thing and steer clear of Best Buy.
          <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/sac2165\" target=\"_blank\"> CAMAROS</a>

Comment

After-market alarms are silly waste-of-money toys.
            I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
            CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
            FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Everglades W68 View Post
              After-market alarms are silly waste-of-money toys.
              Depends on the area you live, I'm in a high crime rate city.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I definitely font think it is a waste of money. Especially when I live less than an hour from ssms. And I figure since I already bought the unit and install is included I would use Best Buy. I would leave it there for 3 hrs alone while I'm at work and then be back over there for the last few hrs inspecting.

Comment

I had a Viper system in my Buick, and had a Clifford system that is equivalent to the one you posted (although a model or two back now), both remote start. The thing ate batteries like none other. Especially if you have vibrate and backlight on. Even with them off, a new battery was in order at least once a month, whether or not I used it. It lasts longer if you turn the 2-way paging off, but then again that kind of defeats the purpose. I had no trouble with the best buy install on the Viper system. But I also kind of knew the guy, and he now works at a smaller but more application specific and higher end place. We had an alarm installed in our truck from Bestbuy maybe 10 years ago and kept having wiring issues because they used to use solder-less connectors. They now do soldering so it's less likely to fail.

On the Clifford system, which I had installed at Car Toys, my battery died in the car for maybe a month while I was away and the remote lost sync with the car. I had to argue with several people telling me that doesn't happen until they would re-sync it to the car. It then lost sync again, and I had to have the brain sent in. I picked Clifford on the Camaro for the lifetime electronics warranty, which I did utilize. It lost sync again after the new brain went in because the car died again, but they re-synced it and I don't think there have been any problems with it since. Car Toys was a pain to deal with though, which is why I went to BestBuy for the Buick.

On the Buick, they didn't use the included hood pin switch, but rather used a different style because it "had less problems." I had the included style switch on the Camaro and never once had a problem with it. The Buick switch had to be readjusted on a monthly basis or else it wouldn't remote start. Don't let them put the other style switch on.

Remote start was a rather nice feature, but I'm going to do without it on the Aurora. The big advantage for me was a warm car in the winter, but my seat heaters get hot in 20-30 seconds so it's no big deal with the new car.
                  sigpic
                  1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                  1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                  --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

That is allvery informative. Some things for me to think about. But I appreciate everyone for helping me out with my decision!!

Comment

Had my viper 2 way installed at Future Shop (same thing as Best Buy). It took them 12 hours to install it and my trunk function doesn't work. Just an overall bad experience.... I would have done it myself, but I'm useless with electronics! Hope your experience is better!
                      In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
                      2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

I used to install alarms and car audio at best buy, I would have to say it all depends on who your installer is. Sometimes you will come across someone that isnt very knowledgeable, but the plus side is, you paying best buy for a professional installation puts all the responsibility on them.

I had that alarm myself, viper is made by DEI which is one of the top brands of electronics out there..

I do prefer compustar systems myself, but they are much more expensive as well.
                        *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by 1997Canadian3.8 View Post
                          Had my viper 2 way installed at Future Shop (same thing as Best Buy). It took them 12 hours to install it and my trunk function doesn't work. Just an overall bad experience.... I would have done it myself, but I'm useless with electronics! Hope your experience is better!
                          Wow. If this happens I would freak out. 12 hours would kill me. Haha. I appreciate the luck. Haha

Originally posted by StrtRacer98 View Post
                          I used to install alarms and car audio at best buy, I would have to say it all depends on who your installer is. Sometimes you will come across someone that isnt very knowledgeable, but the plus side is, you paying best buy for a professional installation puts all the responsibility on them.

I had that alarm myself, viper is made by DEI which is one of the top brands of electronics out there..

I do prefer compustar systems myself, but they are much more expensive as well.
                          Everyone says this installer takes pride in his work but my definitions don't really match anyone elsewhere when it comes to working on my car.. and yeah I'm paying for professional but sometimes they sneak past employers radar which scares me. Ha.

Comment

Well, they do have lifetime installation warranties. We took our truck in 2-3 times over the ten years we had the bestbuy system in there and they always took it in without arguing and didn't charge us if it was an installation problem.
                            sigpic
                            1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                            1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                            --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I'm just mainly worried about my stuff. Like my gauges and switches are connected in a special way like how I route the wires and whatnot. I don't want em messing them up or breaking anything or stealing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X