Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: High ratio steering racks

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
    Some good info in this thread, makes me want to change out my steering now, to see how much of a improvement it makes on turning. Thanks for posting the pics and what parts are needed for the swap.
    No problem. I'm just glad that someone can make clear all the info. I'm hoping to swap out mine in the next couple of weeks. I think this install guide may be able to anyone that's looking to do the swap.

Steering Rack Install
    '99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

FirebirdGT I didn't check your site but I'll do so now it may hurt me to see such a lovely looking Firebird knowing how much I love them,i was thinking of buying one and shipping it to barbados like I did with my 93camaro.

Pace2006 good luck on your installation and let me know how the difference feel,but check your steering from the Steering Wheel from full left to full right on the old one and the new one.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
        Some good info in this thread, makes me want to change out my steering now, to see how much of a improvement it makes on turning. Thanks for posting the pics and what parts are needed for the swap.

Hey man i got the y87 package in my RS which uses the closer ratio rack, recently my rack went bad and sinec i work at a garage i got them to order me a new one. My idiot boss ordered me the standard v6 rack which is 2 and 3/4 turns and the closer ration was only 2 1/4 turns. The differnce is pretty big i will say. Even though its only half a turn you will notice the differnce BIG TIME. Im really dissapointed with my standard rack. The responce just isnt there like it used to be :[ And one more thing if your gona try installing the rack your self its not to bad at all. Just make sure you count your threads when takin the tie rods off so when u get it aligned your at least close... and the bolt on the pasanger side pulls through the top of the rack which was an absoulute SOB to get off the bolt hits the ac condensor.(all this i belive is not mentioned in that guide*I think*) I pulled the bolt out as far as I could and took a flat head punch and just knocked it out through the bottom. Besides that.. if you got access to a lift.... do it yourself.. if you know which way to turn the wrench, you should have no problems. and dont forget to grese those tie rods bud.. Hope this helps.

~ Nick
        Last edited by 97RSRPV; 02-24-2009, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 97RSRPV View Post
          Hey man i got the y87 package in my RS which uses the closer ratio rack, recently my rack went bad and sinec i work at a garage i got them to order me a new one. My idiot boss ordered me the standard v6 rack which is 2 and 3/4 turns and the closer ration was only 2 1/4 turns. The differnce is pretty big i will say. Even though its only half a turn you will notice the differnce BIG TIME. Im really dissapointed with my standard rack. The responce just isnt there like it used to be :[ And one more thing if your gona try installing the rack your self its not to bad at all. Just make sure you count your threads when takin the tie rods off so when u get it aligned your at least close... and the bolt on the pasanger side pulls through the top of the rack which was an absoulute SOB to get off the bolt hits the ac condensor.(all this i belive is not mentioned in that guide*I think*) I pulled the bolt out as far as I could and took a flat head punch and just knocked it out through the bottom. Besides that.. if you got access to a lift.... do it yourself.. if you know which way to turn the wrench, you should have no problems. and dont forget to grese those tie rods bud.. Hope this helps.

~ Nick
          Thanks for the info on the steering rack, I thought it would be more of a diffference.But your right a 1/2 turn is a big difference when going 70 MPH. I know all about the bolts on the rack when we did my Tub K and lower A arms, on the rack we put the bolts in the other way so if I need to take it off again it won't be a hassel. I did my Tie end rods and upper A arms too after the K and lower A arm install. Tie end rods I marked with teflon tape and just recently installed QA-1 shocks with 300lb srpings, I already got my lifetime free allingments out of Firestone, 3 so far. I paid $130 and they do my rear as well since I told them it is all ADJ. it should line up perfect. Once I get the turbo in and stuff I probably won't do the steering change because it handles really well as is. I know one thing GM didn't design the K memeber to well to be taken off, had to loosen the A/C compresssor to move it some to get a bolt out. But paying $240 for the Tub K memember and $330 for the A arms and $100 for the guy to help me install it all , I can't complain. Update I have had the 14:4 steering ratio on for over 6 months and it works very well used the info from this thread.
          Last edited by ssms5411; 07-20-2010, 03:14 AM.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
            Hello everyone!
            by Andy H
            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
            3 weeks ago
          • 3.4 slow to go
            hey there strangers!
            by 3.4 slow to go
            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X