High ratio steering racks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High ratio steering racks

Hi I've been looking around and found something quite confusing on steering racks, now they say here in the technical section that 93 models use 16.9:1 ratio,then they say in 1996 the Y87 package is 14.4:1(same ratio as V8 models) then later say that the ratio from 93-01 is 16.9:1,but then they is a 2 3/4 turns lock to lock from the sterring wheel on the F41,then they is a 2 1/4 lock to lock from the steering wheel on the FE2.

Can someone take me out of this maze,I would greatly appreciate it.

Re: High ratio steering racks

lol man I was looking into the same thing as well but its hard to get consistent information out there. Let me know if you get anyone to give you helpful info on this I'm curious on this topic.

Comment

All non-Y87 v6's and lt1s used the same steering rack with the 16.9:1 ratio. These use the rag joint coupler. Ls1 and Y87 used the closer ration steering racks, the 14.4:1 ratio. They use the double u-joint design coupler. Although I have read that there may be two different LS1/Y87 ratios, but don't know how to distinguish between them.
      '99 Camaro
      '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
      '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Thanks for the help so far,didn't even know they changed from the rag joint:( anyway anyone care to add to this and make things a bit more clearer

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
          Was it? F41 SUSPENSION SYSTEM, FRT, RR, FIRM RIDE, HANDLING

That's the RPO for a stock V6 suspension. No V6 came with an "upgraded suspension package". Sorry.

FE2 is the stock V8 suspension RPO code.

All V8's and V6 Y87 cars use the same (quicker, 14.4 vs 16.6 ratio) steering rack.

On my list of things to do.
          In short, all V6 cars came with the F41 code (V6 suspension), although Y87 cars came with the quicker ratio steering rack. FE2 was the V8 suspension, which also had the quicker ratio steering rack (with the exception of LT1s).

You can always upgrade to the quicker ratio steering rack and double u-joint coupler. I got the coupler for $3 and a used steering rack from a TA for $45 off of ebay. Install shouldn't be too hard either.
          Last edited by pace2006; 11-27-2008, 12:13 PM.
          '99 Camaro
          '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
          '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Ok well understand a bit more,so what part number or info or specs on the upgraded joint? I'll buy the 2 1/4 turns from steering wheel @ rockauto,will still do more research on these High Ratio racks and what actually is the F41 and FE2 in terms of what you get in detail.
            Thanks for everything so far

Comment

This shows you the coupler you'll need. It will be the LS1 u-joint style to replace the rag joint coupler.

Here's a link to one of the u-joint style couplers off of ebay. It is NOT a rag joint coupler like titled.

Steering Coupler

A new steering rack from Rock Auto or any retailer is going to cost over $175. You can find a used one for a lot better price from users on LS1tech or even ebay. Remember, it has to be a 98-02 V8 rack, because the LT1 style is the same as the V6.
              '99 Camaro
              '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
              '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

I don't have part numbers. But I can tell you a little more of what I found about F41 & FE2 options. There was also an FE4 option, but that was a V8 only option.

F41 is the V6 suspension, which means that it has the stock decarbon shocks, V6 spring rates, and the 30/17 (93-97) or 28/15 (98-02) sway bars.

FE2 is the V8 standard suspension, which means that it has the stock decarbon shocks, V8 spring rates, and 30/19 sway bars.

FE4 is the heavy duty V8 suspension, which essentially came with the 1LE suspension package; Bilstein HD shocks, 1LE springs, 1LE 32mm front sway bar, 1LE LCAs and panhard bar. These parts also varied throughout the earlier and later years.

Steering rack ratios may have been influenced by these numbers, but I'm not sure of that.
                Last edited by pace2006; 11-27-2008, 11:41 PM.
                '99 Camaro
                '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Ok thanks for all the info pace2006,but you see I live in Barbados so can't get a used one because I can't actually see what i am buying,cause they are no large amount of our cars here they are about 5-6 cars of such here 2 C06 Corvettes,one old Corvette one 90 pontiac firebird,one 89 Camaro and mine which is 93 V6,so we do our buying online

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
                    All non-Y87 v6's and lt1s used the same steering rack with the 16.9:1 ratio. These use the rag joint coupler. Ls1 and Y87 used the closer ration steering racks, the 14.4:1 ratio. They use the double u-joint design coupler. Although I have read that there may be two different LS1/Y87 ratios, but don't know how to distinguish between them.

WRONG!

Y87 and all V8 cars have 14:1 ratio.

Standard V6 come with 16.9:1.
                    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FireEagle22 View Post
                      lol man I was looking into the same thing as well but its hard to get consistent information out there. Let me know if you get anyone to give you helpful info on this I'm curious on this topic.

Try reading our Technical Database.

Raven

Comment

WRONG!

Y87 and all V8 cars have 14:1 ratio.

Standard V6 come with 16.9:1.
                        Then why do the LT1s use the rag joint style coupler while the LS1s use the double u-joint coupler? I thought there was a 90* difference between the two.

Edit: Nevermind. I found the info. Thanks for correcting my answer.
                        Last edited by pace2006; 11-29-2008, 01:07 AM.
                        '99 Camaro
                        '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                        '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Some good info in this thread, makes me want to change out my steering now, to see how much of a improvement it makes on turning. Thanks for posting the pics and what parts are needed for the swap.
                          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

FirebirdGT first thing is that your firebird in the pics if so I'm so much in love with it,I would swap my camaro and pay extra if needed,I just love those cars,next thing I read your database and the info wasn't quite clear,read back from where I start the post and see what I wrote all I wrote comes from your technical database.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbadian Camaro View Post
                              FirebirdGT first thing is that your firebird in the pics if so I'm so much in love with it,I would swap my camaro and pay extra if needed,I just love those cars,next thing I read your database and the info wasn't quite clear,read back from where I start the post and see what I wrote all I wrote comes from your technical database.
                              Yes, it's my Bird. Did you look at my site?

What you wrote in your first post is all correct. Nothing I saw in reviewing the TB is incorrect in any way.

Raven

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X