sound system dissapointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sound system dissapointment

i have a kicker cvr dual voice coil wired at two ohms, in a box similiar to this one

http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-12-Inc...=pd_cp_e_2_img

its hooked up to a pioneer 800 watt this exact amp

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-GM7300...9202203&sr=8-3

and my head unit is a alpine cda-9886

my problem is that it doesn't bump like i tought it would have, one of my theories is that is sounds like crap do to the box because its not ported and i think its to small, or maybe it can be the amp thats not picking up the sub to its full potential. i have all the sub settings all the way up on the head unit. maybe i had high expectation for the cvr or its no that good of a sub? or do you guys think i defenitly need a ported box to get the full bass of the sub or woudl i need a big amp?

before this sub amp setup i had a 800 watt performance technique and a sony explode in a ported box with plexiglass and bealive or not it sounded way better.
    Last edited by michael454rs@hotmail.com; 11-25-2009, 08:36 PM.

Re: sound system dissapointment

crv's are good 800 watt amp wont hit like crazy anyway, i would say its the amp, because porting is overrated imo.

Comment

i think its just the sub, those subs dont hit too hard, and that sub wouldnt sound good in a ported box, how many cubic ft is your current box? it could be too big

Comment

idk how many exactly its similiar to the one on the link i posted, i figuered i would sound way harder than the single voice coil sony explode i had, that sounded pretty hard but this one idk i tough it was going to be way better. i wired at two like in the kicker link,

http://www.kicker.com/dvc_wiring

in the back of the sub it says 4 ohms, i called a local shop here and they said i should wire at 2 because it wouldnt sound good at 4 ohms.

Comment

my friend has a rockford type p or r...and only a 300 watt amp and it kicks hard. it's all about the amp tuning though, his sounded like **** until i messed with the amp and got it tuned right..first try tuning it before you give up on it.

Comment

i tried it with no success, im going to try another amp my friend has thinking its probably the box thats not hacking it.

Comment

Originally posted by michael454rs@hotmail.com View Post
              i tried it with no success, im going to try another amp my friend has thinking its probably the box thats not hacking it.
              thats why you always build a custom box to the exact specs...hell, I had my sony explodes hitting harder then harder then my buddies rockerford fosgates, and I was using the explode amp (I think 800 watts) to run both subs...store bought boxes are garbage IMO

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
              1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Whats the RMS rating on the amp? Thats the true power of a amp, I would think for a sealed 12" , 1.25-1.50 would be best. If you had a Solobaric you would be fine. You can always use some polyfill in the box. I run a 10" Alpine type X. I run just the one off my modded PPI 2300am amp at the moment and its loud for 1 10" I have the gain set at 1/2 to 3/4 becuase I think its getting around 650-700 RMS. I love sealed boxes and clean deep bass. I want another one for the passenger side stealth box, their only like .60 cuft.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

idk the the exact rms, hopefully it sounds better with another amp tommorow

Comment

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+GM-7300M.html

according to this website it says that at 2 ohms is 360 watts rms

Comment

did you mess with the radio and set it up?

i know with my alpine, i had to have perfect settings on there to make my sub hit hard

Comment

i tried it, i have all the the sub levels up, unless there some other audio setting, im going to play with it a some today before my friend gets here with his amp.

Comment

well we tried my friend amp but i was small kenwood so no good there. we decided to go and bust out the dremel make a "port" but the was a big fail. it sounde like **** lol. so im out of luck im going to have to wait till tommorow so i can go buy a box.

Comment

wow, way to screw it up...okay, here's what you do-

go buy a piece of PVC and make the hole big enough to fit it in. Take the pvc and push it all the way in till it bottoms out. Turn the stereo on to a song that would have the frequency of bass you would like. Pull the pvc out slowly till you hear the sound you like, hack it off flush and keep on truckin.

Or- try to plug the hole.
                            Ported enclosures need more airspace than sealed enclosures. Look for plans online. I have a single cvr 12 in a sealed JL powerwedge box, and it sounds LOUD! the bigger the internal dimensions of a sealed enclosure, the lower the frequency of bass you will receive. I have a box that is purposely built larger than the suggested dimensions, to get deeper bass. Mind you, you will lose alot of the higher frequency bass, but the deep will scare your friends it will be so loud. For 40 bucks you can buy a sheet of mdf and have enough to build two single 12 boxes.

The internal dimensions for mine is 1.6 cubic feet.
                            Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

The real bass, is in sealed boxes, I have a spare old 12" Kicker Solo Baric and they are loud. Use to have 2 in my Camaro and they were a head hurter.LOL If I get another Alpine Type X it will be almost as loud as the 12's I had. I would go with another sealed box ,check your wiring and make sure the amp is working correctly each channel. If you have a bad channel and hook it up. I would leave your sub setting at half because with all them up you'll have distortion like crazy. Use the Bass boost on the amp 50 HZ and set it on 0 or 6, then turn the amp gain setting to about 3/4 mark. Then set your stereo bass to really low at first then turn it up as you go anss see how much you can turn the bass up without it distorting. I'm going to look at the specs of your head unit and see if it is like mine.
                              Last edited by ssms5411; 11-28-2009, 07:09 PM.
                              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X