tunings for 3.23s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tunings for 3.23s

i have some 3.23s sittin in my room and i'm contemplating puttin them in... what would be the best way to turn for these?? also would it hurt my gas mileage any? lastly... i've never seen the diference in a open diferential and a LSD... how do i tell if its got LSD or not?
    1999 Black Pontiac Firebird <br />2 Rockford Fosgate P312D4 subs <br />Hifonics Brutus 1205d amp<br />Clear Sidemarkers<br />18\" Arelli Jovan Chrome Wheels

PCM retuned for gears through texas-speed.com

Jack up rear of car, spin tire and see what the opposite rear tire does. If it goes opposite you have open, go the same direction, LSD.
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life:
      Jack up rear of car, spin tire and see what the opposite rear tire does. If it goes opposite you have open, go the same direction, LSD.
      That test doesn't work for Torsen differentials.

If you have 3.08's stock you're probably going to need a 3-series differential to mount up those 3.23's unless they're made for a 2-series carrier.

3.08 -&gt; 3.23 is such a small step. You will notice it a little but if going through the expense to have them installed I would recommend going bigger.
      1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

do you drive highway or city most?

is it auto or manual?

do you want to accelerate faster
        or do you want to accelerate slower, but get into higher MPHs?
        2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

at the LEAST i would recommend nothing smaller than 3.42s
          2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

i dont really want alot more.. just a little more... and i dont wanna lose any more mpg cause i'm only gettin like 19 or 20...and its a daily driver so i cant send off the PCM...
            97rs i know how to check if the gears in there have LSD.. i meant how do i check the gears that are sittin in my room for lsd
            1999 Black Pontiac Firebird <br />2 Rockford Fosgate P312D4 subs <br />Hifonics Brutus 1205d amp<br />Clear Sidemarkers<br />18\" Arelli Jovan Chrome Wheels

Comment

Originally posted by slow6:
              do you want to accelerate faster
              or do you want to accelerate slower, but get into higher MPHs?
              Irrelevant for us. No matter what gears you use, you'll run out of power before topping out. What does matter is the relationship of tranny gears, but the lower rear end gears may actually make you top out faster than a higher gearset.

Originally posted by bret_xi:

97rs i know how to check if the gears in there have LSD.. i meant how do i check the gears that are sittin in my room for lsd
              Umm, what? The gears don't have anything to do with the differential, except that the ring gear bolts onto it. LSD is Limited Slip Differential. The gears are seperate from the differential.

[ February 11, 2006, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: 98Camaro3.8 ]
              Matt
              1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
              Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

ok well i dont know what a diferential looks like or anything i've never took apart rear ends or anything... i want to know if i have lsd or open with the gears that are sitting in my room

Comment

Are you sure you want to do that on your own?? :rolleyes: [img]graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by bret_xi:
                    ok well i dont know what a diferential looks like or anything i've never took apart rear ends or anything... i want to know if i have lsd or open with the gears that are sitting in my room
                    gear are just gears

the carrier make it open or LSD not the gears
                    www.turbov6camaro.com
                    1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                    4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                    7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                    11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

i guess i'm not puttin it into words good enough... everything needed for a gear swap is back there... gears carrier everthing... what the hell diference is there between the open and lsd is there so i can tell them apart

Comment

Nobody has a clue what you're asking.

Do you want to know how to tell the difference between an open differential and a limited slip differential by sight?

Do you want to know which one you currently have in your car?

Do you want to know how the 2 operate differently?

Need to make some sense so we can figure out what your question is.
                        Matt
                        1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
                        Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

Do you need to know the "visual differnences" between an open diff, and a LSD?

(seen some posts and I have a zexel, and a open sitting in my garage and have a few pictures of the auburn in my car, so I can take some pics and upload if REALLY needed, but I really don't want to if I have to)

As for going form 3.08-3.23, if your paying for a gear install, upgrade to 3.42s.

If you just have the spare rear laying around with a lsd and you are throwing it in. I'd slap it in, its an improvement and not insanely hard.

I noticed nice gains going form 3.23-3.42, and I have seen people enjoy the gain 3.42-3.73 its not the biggest gain you could get but its a gian.

IMO not worth the effort of paying someone to install if you are worried about your mpg.

and btw your mpg is crappy, I am getting 22 city, with 3.23 and 5-speed. Make sure everything is running right on your car.
                          -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

3.08s to 3.42s was a nice jump...

3.42s to 4.10s will be even better :D

The 3.23s will leave you wanting for more, and with install prices being rediculosly high I also would recommend at least 3.42s.
                            97 Camaro<br />160* thermostat, z28 shock/springs, 3\" Magnaflow cat, 3\" Magnaflow catback, LT1 disc/limslip/3.42 rear, SLP CAI<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/609893\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/609893</a>

Comment

my MPG with 3.42 gears and A4 tranny is 19-20 city and 26+ on freeway.

I zip around town most of the time. not sure how to drive this car slow.
                              01 Firebird A4 3.42
                              Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
                              and other mods
                              Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X