Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 110 octane tuning

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
    More weight reductions front bumper and washer res. air bags, rear bumper. Should be about 80-90LBS.
    God no...it's still a DD...will never take out the crash supports. I also still drive it in the ice and snow, so a washer res. is still a must...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

You could do the weight reduction for just this track run. Personally, I wouldn't remove the airbags, especially since you'll be flying down the track at 100+ mph. But as for the other stuff, I can see temporarily removing it. I would also keep just enough fuel in the tank to make it down the track each time. I think gas is 6lbs/gal, so that's an easy way to shed weight. Then there's the rear seats and seat back, those are easy to remove too. That's what, 40 lbs maybe? Front passenger seat is probably another 40, spare tire and jack is another 30. You could shed a lot of weight for 30 mins of work.

I'm assuming the EWP in your sig means electric water pump. If that's the case I'd definitely take the belt off for some extra power.
      2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Bell View Post
        You could do the weight reduction for just this track run. Personally, I wouldn't remove the airbags, especially since you'll be flying down the track at 100+ mph. But as for the other stuff, I can see temporarily removing it. I would also keep just enough fuel in the tank to make it down the track each time. I think gas is 6lbs/gal, so that's an easy way to shed weight. Then there's the rear seats and seat back, those are easy to remove too. That's what, 40 lbs maybe? Front passenger seat is probably another 40, spare tire and jack is another 30. You could shed a lot of weight for 30 mins of work.

I'm assuming the EWP in your sig means electric water pump. If that's the case I'd definitely take the belt off for some extra power.
        yup, electric water pump...

As far as weight reduction the car is already missing quite a bit...it has a tubular K frame and A arms up front, no A/C, no sparetire and jack, lightened up the carpet, most of the sound deading in the car is gone, aluminum D/S, light prostar rims for the track with Et streets, all the seats except the drivers will be gone for the track.

I havent weighed the car in (and I keep meaning to) but I am thinking the car probably weighs in the vicinity of around 31xx lbs

Comment

Sounds like you got rid of about everything you can and still have it be somewhat comfortable for a DD.
          2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

I'll be at the track for sure this saturday. The weather looks good for the weekend. Will be popping my cherry :) My daughter will video tape the runs and I'll post it for all to see. Hope to see you there.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Bell View Post
              Sounds like you got rid of about everything you can and still have it be somewhat comfortable for a DD.
              not even close...it's very comfortable...I can hear my cam very nicely, and the music still fine...I never used the A/C either....the ride can be a little harsh at times, but it lets me feel the road.

Infact if you sat in my car...besides people complaining about the A/C, you would never know anything is even gone in the car...I never even noticed a difference with the sound deadening taken out.

There is still no other car I would rather drive...even the stock camaro I just recently bought has no comparision...my moms lexus IS350 is almost as fast as my car (or was) and I find myself bored in the car...it's very nice and lexurious don't get me wrong...but when I had my car out of commission last year for 3 weeks and I was stuck driving the lexus, I almost went insane...

I'll be at the track for sure this saturday. The weather looks good for the weekend. Will be popping my cherry My daughter will video tape the runs and I'll post it for all to see. Hope to see you there.
              Damn it...Im most likely going to be at the cottage for thanksgiving...

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                yup, electric water pump...

As far as weight reduction the car is already missing quite a bit...it has a tubular K frame and A arms up front, no A/C, no sparetire and jack, lightened up the carpet, most of the sound deading in the car is gone, aluminum D/S, light prostar rims for the track with Et streets, all the seats except the drivers will be gone for the track.

I havent weighed the car in (and I keep meaning to) but I am thinking the car probably weighs in the vicinity of around 31xx lbs

Do the wind. res. for the track easy to do, I still would do the bumper supports and air bags. With mine I don't know how much it would weigh in track mode, but I flashed my car a week ago with my winter tune, and took it out this morning to try the steering wheel out which is werid (since I have had the stock one for over 15 years) I round a corner and it fish tail bad and almost went up on the side walk , these 315/35/17 Sumuttos suck @ss for grip no wonder there like $100 a piece , I'll be putting on the Michieln 335/35/17's tomorrow , they look like they have some grip on them ,LOL. You could also get a lightweight hood and rear spoiler and lighter front rear shocks and springs. I think you'll be lighter than that when you weigh it , you 'll be surprised, I listed mine as 2800-2900LBS becuase a guy weighed his with lesser weight reduction than mine and it was 2850LBS. I forgot I'm going to weigh mine at the track once all the new stuff is on and run it N/A. I hope to get it to the shop Fri. last Fri. I didn't have a ride home and I wasn't paying a taxi $50+ for a ride home.
                Last edited by ssms5411; 10-06-2010, 03:47 PM.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Do the wind. res. for the track easy to do, I still would do the bumper supports and air bags. With mine I don't know how much it would weigh in track mode, but I flashed my car a week ago with my winter tune, and took it out this morning to try the steering wheel out which is werid (since I have had the stock one for over 15 years) I round a corner and it fish tail bad and almost went up on the side walk , these 315/35/17 Sumuttos suck @ss for grip no wonder there like $100 a piece , I'll be putting on the Michieln 335/35/17's tomorrow , they look like they have some grip on them ,LOL. You could also get a lightweight hood and rear spoiler and lighter front rear shocks and springs. I think you'll be lighter than that when you weigh it , you 'll be surprised, I listed mine as 2800-2900LBS becuase a guy weighed his with lesser weight reduction than mine and it was 2850LBS.
                  sweet...are the QA1's any lighter then the KYB's? Ive been looking at going with there coilover setup to bring the car back down...I could practically fit a coke can between the front tire and the fender

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                    sweet...are the QA1's any lighter then the KYB's? Ive been looking at going with there coilover setup to bring the car back down...I could practically fit a coke can between the front tire and the fender

Yes the QA-1's are very light, even the springs were light, I run a 300LB spring but I also got BMR's (I think conversion brackets) that slip in so you can run regular stock springs or lowering springs with higher LBS ratings. have you pressed down on the front of your car to see if it compresses down, I have to do it on mine everytime I have it jacked up and down again. I think it was like a weight difference of 10 lbS total with springs and shocks. You know why mine is higher so I don't have problems with the turbo when I finally get it on , then I can adjust it to whatever I feel safe. Mines 28's all around since the stereo is out from ground to top of the fender. But it doesn't look too bad since I have ground effects and when I get the 335's on tomorrow it will look sweet. LOL

Also have you taken off heat sheilds and all the plastic stuff underneath the car.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Yes the QA-1's are very light, even the springs were light, I run a 300LB spring but I also got BMR's (I think conversion brackets) that slip in so you can run regular stock springs or lowering springs with higher LBS ratings. have you pressed down on the front of your car to see if it compresses down, I have to do it on mine everytime I have it jacked up and down again. I think it was like a weight difference of 10 lbS total with springs and shocks. You know why mine is higher so I don't have problems with the turbo when I finally get it on , then I can adjust it to whatever I feel safe. Mines 28's all around since the stereo is out from ground to top of the fender. But it doesn't look too bad since I have ground effects and when I get the 335's on tomorrow it will look sweet. LOL

Also have you taken off heat sheilds and all the plastic stuff underneath the car.
                      I have to shove it back down after I jack it up yes...otherwise you can fit a 1.5 pop cans under there lol...all the heat shielding is gone except for that back by the gas tank...for the 1lbs I'll tak off, I dont want to risk it...oh and the heat shielding above the cat...that's stuck there, it's not coming down because I can't get anything on a few of the bolts.

When I have time maybe next summer I would love to pull the dash apart and actually cut away all the wiring I don't need...I'm manual windows and door locks etc etc, so I know all those wires are lurking around and can be cut out. I've heard of guys being able to pull out about 20lbs worth of wires, and it wouldnt suprise me.

Im not going through all the work to take out the crash bar and stuff like that for the track though...I dont even think I will take the front sway bar off...but I suppose we'll see how close everything is...I mean if I hit 13.00 or 13.01, then I mean for sure Im going to try and do everything humanly possible, but that kind of stuff is not in the plans atm...

Comment

I think if I had a 100LB driver I could get in the 13's, but I'm going to take it to the track one of these weekends and run my 275/40/17 M.T's with the front prostars. I need to finsh up my SLP line lock though. I hope my tranny holds up been having shifting issues lately.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X