110 octane tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 110 octane tuning

Will be going to the track within in the next few weekends to try and crack that 12.99 mark with the car (mods in sig)...I got a few litres of 110 octane that a buddy gave me.

I know that our cars like about 28-30 degrees of timing at WOT on normal or (91) octane gas, as that is where we more or less make the most power...my question is, if I run 110 octane mixed with either 91 or 94, I am aiming for around 104 octane (depending on my mix obviously), how much timing should I be running? If I don't get any knock, would it be safe to bring the timing up to maybe 35-38 degrees WOT? would I stand to gain power? or am I just wasting time? My timing right now is at about 28-39 degrees.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: 110 octane tuning

you will gain some power, but using high octane isnt just for timing, it is more to do with running more compression.

im sure you will see a difference, but i dont think it will be what you are looking for, and im running 43* timing at 3000 rpm in another engine with a 91/110 mix and 12:1 compression, i dont think you will see a knock if you do.

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
      you will gain some power, but using high octane isnt just for timing, it is more to do with running more compression.

im sure you will see a difference, but i dont think it will be what you are looking for, and im running 43* timing at 3000 rpm in another engine with a 91/110 mix and 12:1 compression, i dont think you will see a knock if you do.
      I don't think I'll see knock either (unless it's false), just wondering if I would see more power...because apparently I thought you could run like 33-35 degrees of timing (theoretically) on our cars and not see a power increase when running 91 octane?

The 110 I got for free from a buddy...it's left over from last year when he used it on his srt-4 which is no more... so any gain is good gain, because it's free...I probably wont buy this stuff ever anyways...but I want to give it my all to hit 12.99 before Novemeber.

Comment

Add 2 degrees each run until it slows down or shows knock retard. Then back it up 1 degree at a time. Thing is when mixing unleaded fuel, the octane of the 91 doesn't go up as much as if you were mixing leaded race fuel with it. I'll be trying some VP Streetblaze 100 at the end of the month, I've never been able to run more than 26 degrees timing with 93 octane. That will be more for tuning for some nitrous runs at the end of the year.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
          Add 2 degrees each run until it slows down or shows knock retard. Then back it up 1 degree at a time. Thing is when mixing unleaded fuel, the octane of the 91 doesn't go up as much as if you were mixing leaded race fuel with it. I'll be trying some VP Streetblaze 100 at the end of the month, I've never been able to run more than 26 degrees timing with 93 octane. That will be more for tuning for some nitrous runs at the end of the year.
          hmmm....Im running 28-29* timing at WOT, but these are pulls I have made on the street (highway onramps and such), I can't go very fast so I usually pull it through second gear and a little bit of 3rd. I can't do a WOT pull from a stop around here because a) I dont get any traction, at all...doesnt even want to shift out of first it spins to bad, and b) because there is just no safe place to do a WOT pull from a stop)

but from what I can see from going through 2nd from a roll 28-29*s is ok with no knock.

I figure if I run 91 and do a 50/50 mixture (as best I can) with the 110, I'll be running roughly 100 octane. If I run 94+110 50/50 I'll be at roughly 102. The best way I can think of doing this, is running my car as empty as I can to the track, it's ok if I run out of gas along the way, because I got something like 6 litres of 110 octane...so the emptier I am on regular gas, the better my mix will be.

And that is what I was thinking of doing...upping it 2* every run until I hit knock...but Im not sure about looking at the times to judge it as well, as the times can be effected by sooo many other factors, and I am probably looking at 100th of second differences no?

Comment

You can go past the optimum timing with race gas and not get knock retard. You need to look at ET, MPH and knock retard.
            sigpic

Comment

how much would my ET and MPH change with each 2* being added though? is it something I would be able to notice? because my times in the past fluctuate up to 500ths of a second with no changes being made to anything... same with my MPH...it has moved both up and down with no modifications being made and being run back to back on the same day.

Comment

Every car I have had has been different. Changing brands of 93 ( i now run BP/AMMCO as apposed to ANY 93) in this V6 Firebird allowed me to go from 23 to 26 degrees and pick up about 2/10.
                sigpic

Comment

well thats good to know actually. 3*s netted you 2/10's thats pretty damn good. I hope for just as much.

I ran a 13.87 cam only on 29*s...then ran a 13.82 Heads/cam on 19-20*s...I'm hoping to be able to run atleast 33*s with this gas, plus I intend on seeing if I can pull the belt (if needed to hit my goal) and going with the seats gone...it's definetly going to be close, I need that 12.99 lol. And I feel that I am going to need to pull every possible string just to muscle it out...

Comment

I think 28 degrees is the max optimal timing , I don't think you'll gain any more than that except motor problems. I can run 28 degrees now since its cooler now running the extra high octane would be good if you had FI or nitrous so you could keep the timing up, but even N/A it will help from getting KR. I think anything past 28 will just put more stress on the motor and lead to something breaking.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Steve what makes you think that?

Comment

Guys who have ran them all out before N/A , I mean its good for KR control but if its not FI or nitrous , I think theres no point in runing the timing up past 28 degrees, I think there have been other threads on it, either here or FTV6. I mean you can try it, I ran 5 gals of 100 oct. with 91 and saw no difference N/A.
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

well...if you have to pull ALL the strings.

removing the belt would be the thing to do. BUT make sure everything is at Optimum before you do so, so things dont explode or brake.

you could always take a few pounds by driving naked...or even going on a diet fast.
                          you could loss a few pounds in 3-4 days. lol
                          personally i would do the belt..you save about 12-15 hp by doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by thedetailman View Post
                            well...if you have to pull ALL the strings.

removing the belt would be the thing to do. BUT make sure everything is at Optimum before you do so, so things dont explode or brake.

you could always take a few pounds by driving naked...or even going on a diet fast.
                            you could loss a few pounds in 3-4 days. lol
                            personally i would do the belt..you save about 12-15 hp by doing so.
                            I barely weigh anything as it is...but I can't physically can't lose or gain weight anyways...

Comment

More weight reductions front bumper and washer res. air bags, rear bumper. Should be about 80-90LBS.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X