Clear All

Re: desensitizing knock sensors

so whats my hardware look like lol?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Your hardware off the top of my head would be 4-6 resistors splicing the 2 KR sensor wires and running a ground wire , thats about it. I set my 2 KR sensor setups together and ran 1 ground off of them like YY , I think would have to go look at it. its been on there 10 years. If you go over 30 % I think it will set off a low KR sensor DTC. which is fine since it still picks up KR, mines at 40 % and will still see 4-5 degrees of KR and its still not audible. I have never heard audible KR from my car except when I first had my PD on my car and har my TRC-1 at 0 and got on it and heard the worst sound you can ever hear from a car a nd let off imediately. LOL So I know what audible KR is on my car.
      Last edited by ssms5411; 08-05-2010, 01:30 AM.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

do you have a picture of the piece on your car steve? What are you running the ground wire off of?

Comment

I run the ground to the ground wires by the batt., I'll see if I can get a pick.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I need to do this on a 99. Time to re-learn my digital electronics class from 9 years ago. Unless the values end up the same.
            sigpic

Comment

No this works pretty well, been running mine for I think 6-7 years now at 40% desenitized in this AZ heat, I bet I would dyno around 220 WRHP+ with the VS cam, so I know it works well my Dads 05' 3.8 Buick Lasabre has more timing in its cells than mine, so I think GM figured it out, my Dad always told me the 3800's had alot of false KR, working 40 years for them I guess he would know. hit me up with a email so I can send you the intruction sheet and program.
              Last edited by ssms5411; 09-10-2010, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Hey guys, could someone that has a copy of the software (knockit.exe) please send it to me (pm me for email). I'd really appreciate it. Steve is experiencing some technical difficulties sending the software to FirebirdGT and myself. If I can get a copy I can just permanently host it for everyone.
                sigpic

Comment

x2...does anyone know the size of the resistor to use in order to reduce the knock sensors by 40%???

Comment

Instead of posting a new thread, I found one with the title and some info on what I want, back from the dead lol

So Alex and I were tuning on the bird last night and had a serious issue with KR. I was getting 15* of KR, but only in first. I could downshift into second and nail it and only see maybe 5* tops of KR. I have two questions

1) does this sound like false knock to you? Could this be caused by the fact that I have a 99 PCM in my car that is a 2000 (maybe the sensors are mis-matched to the PCM?)

2) I would also like to know about desensitizing by 40% as well.
                    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Sounds like its false, I have the instructions and program but like I tried in the past it won't send the program through when I email it to you. FirebirdGT has the instructions and program as well. Maybe he'll have better luck emailing it to you.

Comment

I had the program sent to me awhile ago and wrote down some of the numbers. To desensitize the knock sensor by 40% you will need to install a 1,560 ohm resistor at R1 and a 13,650 ohm in R2. I have resistor numbers from 5% to 50% if any one is interested.
                        Last edited by 3.4grapeofwrath; 09-16-2012, 06:30 PM.

Comment

so is this really a common thing for 3800 series II motors?? i've always had quite a bit of KR no matter how much timing i pulled. i'm going to put some race gas in my car, when its back up and running to see if its false or not... but desensitizing our knock sensors is pretty common? and safe?

Comment

Originally posted by thebeewantsboost View Post
                            so is this really a common thing for 3800 series II motors?? i've always had quite a bit of KR no matter how much timing i pulled. i'm going to put some race gas in my car, when its back up and running to see if its false or not... but desensitizing our knock sensors is pretty common? and safe?
                            Works on my 96' for about 10 years now, it will still read KR if any is there.

Comment

Hehe yeah it was worse when I put my longtube headers in. Used a little dynomat around the sensors and that cut it down a bit. Still get some false KR though, nice post!

Comment

i've put dynomat around atleast one of my sensors.
                                when you guys have what you believe is legitimate knock. do you hear it? because i've never heard any in my car. but see it on the scanner.. my car is down for a bit and i'm gonna try a few more things. but really curious on that. one of my manifolds is a pretty crappy log. and the other side is the gtp mani... and alot of grandprix guys say that the first thing they upgrade to reduce KR is manifolds.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X