Saftey Disk Rupture cant fill bottle - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saftey Disk Rupture cant fill bottle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saftey Disk Rupture cant fill bottle

I have a brand new zex kit, just finished the install and went to get my bottle filled today. i was going to buy the blowdown adapter (NOS part #16166) this should have worked im pretty sure the guys at the shop put it in the bottle correct and torqued it to spec. well the first safety disk ruptured the second he started to fill it. the second one held about 4# of nitrous before it ruptured. WTF is up????

Re: Saftey Disk Rupture cant fill bottle

I would say they TQ it down to tight, would be my guess.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

those discs are suppose to hold 3000psi. I would say they screwed up when putting it on or you have the wrong discs
      http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

I bought a used Zex bottle and ordered the blow off disc and tube. This was the first time I had to put in the blow off valve. I just used some teflon tape and put the little disc on the tip(I'm surpised that they hold anything they do look cheap). I TQ mine down to where I felt the disc hit then backed off a little. I had it filled yesterday after being hydro tested and stamped. They ran out of nitrous, but they did get 5lbs in it before they ran out. I will get it fully filled when they get some more. I also ordered the kit with the blow down tube and blow off valve for the zex bottle, it is probably the same kit you got.

I just reread your post you got a NOS kit, mine is a ZEX kit for the bottle.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

no you read it right it is a ZEX kit with just the NOS blowdown adapter and a NX blowdown tube. im am almost 95% sure that the NOS adapter should have worked i called zex and summit for help. summit was useless and all zex said was that the NOS adapter should work. So does anybody know anything about purging the air out of a brand new bottle??? i know you have to do it with propane bottles not sure about nitrous though. this just sucks all i want is my bottle filled.

Comment

my bad i just reread your post you were right but regardless we actually tried both the NOS and Zex adapters both ruptured.

Comment

Sounds like they are tightening the blow off valve in too much breaking the disc. The disc sits at the end, so when it goes in if it hits the inside it will bend or break. I put the one in mine and I could feel when it got to the end. Those discs are so fragile, I couldn't believe they worked being so thin. So I would try and put it in again , but not too far it breaks the disc. As far as air in there, as soon as you open the valve it should release any air. The bottles have to be hydro tested every 5 years, I just did 3 bottles getting tested for $20 a bottle. Good luck.

Comment

update... i have a defective bottle. all the nitrous going in is staying in the siphon tube and popping the safety disk. we came to that conclusion today when they put 2 pounds in and blew the disk. 3 guys almost got hurt in the situation when my pos bottle was spinning around on the table spraying nitrous in the air fun stuff!! so besides a new bottle and 3 safety disk what else should i try and get from zex??? 2 bottles maybe??

Comment

I wouldn't tell them you put in a NOS blow off valve they would probably say it voided the bottle warranty.

Comment

I'm fairly sure they shouldn't be torqued down. meant to be just slightly more than hand tight, iirc.
                    2002 SOM Camaro- Sold
                    2006 S60- Sold
                    2000 Cherokee- The desert whip

Comment

Believe me , their more than hand tight when your bottle is at 900-1000 PSI.

Comment

im not saying to just do it with your hand... but I dont think its meant to be torqued down there.
                        2002 SOM Camaro- Sold
                        2006 S60- Sold
                        2000 Cherokee- The desert whip

Comment

I just installed a zex one about a month ago, after I had the bottle hydro tested. I installed the blow off valve and disc, I tightened it down to where the disc hit and left it there, when your screwing it in you can feel when it is all the way in. Then had it filled, only with 4 lbs because they ran out of nitrous.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X