Transmission durabilty question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission durabilty question

I have a 99 camaro 3.8 with t-5 trans so far i have installed PS headers, slp cold air intake, 3 inch exhaust with cat delete and cut out, de-screened tb, air baffle delete, and lsd with 3.42

my question is that how well do t-5s hold up with nitrous because I want to run 75-100 dry shot but I do not want to break it

P.S. I already know that they are only rated for 300 ft lbs of torque.

Re: Transmission durabilty question

Your stock clutch probably wont hold that much juice very well to begin with, if you get a good clutch, you can run a 75-85 shot on the tranny for a while, but it will probably break eventually, especially if you have good, sticky tires and do some hard launches.

I was running an 85 shot on my stock t-5 for awhile, including some strip runs, on street tires. I got some Nitto DRs and made a few track runs, now my clutch/tranny makes some really odd noises, especially when the clutch is depressed. I'm not expecting it to last much longer.

I think street tires are like a safety device, because you're probably not going to tear your drivetrain up too bad if your tires are constantly slipping, then again you're not going to go as fast either. That's just my ideas/opinions.
    Old Car = 12.679 @ 106.5 on 150 dry shot.
    New Car = 2010 3.6l 304hp Camaro

Comment

I have a ram cluch with 30% more holding over stock that and i am running dayton zr tires size 245-50-r16

Comment

once you get the clutch, the transmission will be your weak link by far.

I wouldn't hope or expect much out of it. IMO its a worthless POS.

Street tires are not your savior. 3500 rpm launch at the track on some older 235 street tires I bought used for cheap.

POP! snapped the output shaft.

that was back when I thought my crappy street tires would be my savior.
        -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

3rd gear is the week point on it.... 4th gear held 456 HP and 509 TQ for a while WITH 3rd gear and Reverse broke lol
          www.turbov6camaro.com
          1997 3800 Series II Camaro
          4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
          7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
          11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Clutch is first weak link.

If you are a good driver and stick w/ a 75 shot and run street tires I don't think you will have problems.

If you run drag radials and you dump it at the line and spray then tranny failure can eventually occur
            Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
            nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
            2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
            2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
              New Owner!
              by LETZRIDE
              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
              5 days ago
            • ssms5411
              Little work today
              by ssms5411
              Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
              2 weeks ago
            • LETZRIDE
              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
              02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X