Need Help with Booster Fuel Pump!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with Booster Fuel Pump!!

I have a 1996 RS Y87 w/ 3.8 auto, I am shooting 75 hp nitrous jet w/ a larger fuel jet at the same time, but I am still feeling a little loss of fuel at the far end of the track. I want to put a booster or a in-tank fuel pump and don't have any idea where to start looking, what model and manufacturer??

i personally use the MSD external inline electric fuel pump set to turn on when i activate my nitrous system..however..a lot of guys running wet kits use the Walbro 255lph in tank fuel pump..try an internet search on that..also..what other mods do you have done?..if not any that would pull a lot of fuel..i would suggest looking over your factory fuel system..and replacing your fuel filter..im surprised you are seeing such a fuel loss on only a 75 shot..how do you know you are losing fuel?..if you're running a larger fuel jet it is possible you could be running too rich
    <b>12 SECOND DUAL STAGE DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO<br /><a href=\"http://www.mysickcamaro.50megs.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.MySickCamaro.50megs.com</a><br />Best ET: 12.82@103<br />Best MPH: 104.7<br />Best 60\': 1.75 - Stock TC</b><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Originally posted by Shodown:<br /><strong>1DV6 runs 12\'s...enough said. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

With the MSD external do you need a regulator? And do you need a regulator on the Walbro pump??

Comment

no i do not run a regulator..the MSD pump acts as somewhat of an assist to the factory pump..it will not give you extra fuel..it will only provide the amount your car's setup is asking for..it is advertised to support up to 500hp ..but i dunno about that..i know it works fine on my 150 dry shot
        <b>12 SECOND DUAL STAGE DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO<br /><a href=\"http://www.mysickcamaro.50megs.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.MySickCamaro.50megs.com</a><br />Best ET: 12.82@103<br />Best MPH: 104.7<br />Best 60\': 1.75 - Stock TC</b><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Originally posted by Shodown:<br /><strong>1DV6 runs 12\'s...enough said. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

I have the K&N FIPK-II Cold air intake, the Flowmaster Catback system, Nitrous, Port & Polished intake, 160 degree thermostat. SLP Trans Module (Which I don't know if it even operates properly, can't hardly tell the difference.)Custom modified MAF inlet.
          I would love to add some spark to it, but I am not sure what coil packs and wires to add to it.
          Also, you asked how I know it losing pressure? I can feel a loss in power at the end of the track, just kind of guessed it was the fuel.

Comment

i would definitely suggest investing in a fuel pressure gauge..because it could be the other way around..for example..if i spray to high of a dry shot..i would feel a slight loss of power towards the end of the run (where the car requires the most fuel) because i am still on the stock injectors and and would be close to maxing them out..its hard to tell whether or not you are running too rich or too lean..im not sure what the custom MAF inlet is doing to your MAF signal either..i would get a fuel pressure gauge and also take a look at your spark plugs

Comment

Have you put it on a dyno to confirm this?

You may want to do that.

As for fuel upgrades.
              Stock injectors are fine.
              Do a drop in tank fuel pump only.
              Granatelli and Walbro make the same pump, it is a 255 LPH pump.

Costs around $100
              Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
              nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
              2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
              2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

There are no dynos around my area, but I am going to get fuel pressure and Rich/Lean guage so I can watch whats going on during a run. Any certain pressure I need to stay around??

Comment

i would take 12sec's advice..as far as the gauges..since you are running a wet shot..i believe the fuel pressure at the rail (where the gauge will connect to) should stay aruond factory..which i believe is about 48 psi..the pressure can go up to 70 - 80 psi on a dry shot

Comment

Here is a crazy thing.... I had an A/F ratio guage in my bird.
                    Tuned it off there..... and according to guage everything was fine.

I put it on the dyno and it was lean top end. Find a dyno, travel to them... wideband dyno tune.

Location of dyno's in north carolina ;)

http://www.mustangdyne.com/LocatorPages/DynLoc_NC.htm
                    Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
                    nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
                    2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
                    2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

^ yeah i have an air/fuel gauge in my car..but it doesnt do anything but look pretty..DONT go by that..fuel pressure gauge would be good though..my most recent runs i was running a little but lean towards the end frmo running the injectors at around 95% duty cycle..my air/fuel gauge was showing that i was running completely rich..im tell ya..you should just invest in HP Tuners or something like it..one of the best things i ever bought..its gonna put me in the 12s damnit! :D (well that and a couple guys that know an @ssload about tuning)

Comment

I have e-mailed hptuners and they responded with the idea of putting a 97 model pcm with their programing in it on my car.
                        I will take that advice in mind with the A/F guage.
                        Now, does anyone have a specific model of MSD coil packs that I see so frequently on this web site? And where to get them?

Comment

if you're serious about racing that would not be a bad idea..the MSD part # is MSD-8224 and you can get them from www.summitracing.com ..but the coil packs in the 3.8s are really good..from what i've heard..the 3.4s can benefIt from these coil packs..but they really wont make any difference in a 3.8

Comment

What is the best way to increase fuel flow to compensate for the nitrous? As far as tuning goes?

Comment

i would let a dyno handle that..its very hard to properly tune for fuel flow without a wideband o2 sensor or something like that

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X