NX wet kit giving me intake backfires - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NX wet kit giving me intake backfires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NX wet kit giving me intake backfires

I used to have a NX wet kit with a shark nozzle mounted in the throttle body, before the blade but after the maf. I had it jetted for a 100 shot and it ran great. Anyway, i sold that kit a lil over a year ago and got a new wet kit, same shark nozzle and nitrous solenoids mounted in the same places. The first time i sprayed it, the car hit hard, then backfired through the intake. it blew my maf sensor to pieces and caught my k&n on fire. It had a 33F and a 52N the first run. replaced all that and jetted the fuel down a little bit to a 28, since my buddy said fuel smoke came out the pipes when it backfired. i checked the plugs, all of them are a little white. I have NGK TR6's gapped at .035 and a walbro 255lph fuel pump. I put half a tank of 93 octane and 104 booster in just to eliminate that possibility. like i said, everything is set EXACTLY the same on the car since the last kit. i tried it again and it pops worse with the 28F than it does with the 33F. so i put the 33F back in and let my fpr go static. pops less but still poppin nonetheless. i can't figure it out. same jets, same plugs, same settings. it seems to pop more down low and then smooth out up top. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you done any other changes to the motor?
    2001 Firebird 3.8L V6 M5,<br />It once had....<br />NX Nitrous Wet Kit, ZZP X-P Hot Cam, <br />3.42 LSD, Pacesetter Headers, <br />36# Injectors, HP Tuners<br />322 RWHP, 379 RWTQ<br />13.596 @ 102.56 w/100 shot

Comment

104 octane booster causes swelling of the plunger in the solenoids :(

That might be your issue :(

They can be rebuilt.

Other changes?

Direction of nozzle etc?
      Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
      nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
      2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
      2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

well i had just plain 93 in it at first and it was backfiring. i didn't know that about 104 booster, thanks 12sec. just don't think that was the issue, might be a new one though, ha. the nozzle is in the same hole in the throttle body, i just pulled the plug i had in it out and screwed in my new nozzle. it's facing correctly. it's in at an angle, probably somewhere between the 8 o'clock and 7 o'clock position. the only difference on the car is i took the ls1 driveshaft out and sold it a few months ago. maybe i should pull my manifold and smooth the insides out? i'm clueless as to y it used to work but now it won't.

Comment

yea that is very odd why it used to work and now is backfiring. I dunno what to tell ya. With no changes or anything it should work just the same.
          http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Check wiring
            Check fuel

Octane booster can cause that issue, I found out the hard way :(

Fuel filter?

If you can pop off the intake (decent job) porting it will lower chance of fuel puddling.... but... this is an extreme way to address/ improve

Comment

i agree porting would be extreme but i do have an extra one layin around. i do remember u having a pretty bad nitrous backfire a few years ago 12sec. i dont remember what your problem was exactly but it looks like ur doin great now. i really do appreciate all the help. i double checked the wiring but i'll triple check it tomorrow. i'll change the fuel filter as well and see what happens.

Comment

i put on the new fuel filter and it didn't pop out when i tried it. idk if i was just lucky that time or what. i could feel it surging in 3rd gear so i think i need to do somethin about that bottle pressure. i'm gonna get a heater before i try it again. no sense being TOO reckless. thanks again for the help

Comment

I've had several backfires over the years [img]tongue.gif[/img] I learn from them.

So, new fuel filter eliminated backfire.... but now surging is experienced?

Check amount of nitrous in bottle and bottle psi.

Do you not have a warmer?

Comment

Acording to what I have read (and one personal experience), a lean condition is what causes the majority of backfires. The fuel filter could be a big factor in causing a lean condition.

Mine was caused by too small fuel injectors. I had 3 backfires within a 2 week period. I upgraded to 36# injectors and the problem went away. With my cam, I needed the bigger injectors.
                    2001 Firebird 3.8L V6 M5,<br />It once had....<br />NX Nitrous Wet Kit, ZZP X-P Hot Cam, <br />3.42 LSD, Pacesetter Headers, <br />36# Injectors, HP Tuners<br />322 RWHP, 379 RWTQ<br />13.596 @ 102.56 w/100 shot

Comment

I had fuel puddling..... plunger issues in fuel solenoid... throttle issues....

All I know... wet kit backfire's.. SUCK!!!!

Comment

I let my dad try a 100 shot on the street in my car he floored it from complete stop no stall or anything and bamm backfire shattered my airbot to 100 pieces and maf sensor gone lol only time i have had a backfire on my car
                        <b><a href=\"http://www.sick-sixx.com\" target=\"_blank\">SICK-SIXX MEMBER</a></b><br />NA 14.345 with a 1.863 60 foot<br />Nitrous 13.03@99.5 with a 1.63 60 foot<br /><br />2000 Camaro 3.8L A4: USE TO HAVE Comp Cam 210/220 .535/.547 113lsa 111 I/C, Port and Polished Heads, NX Wet Kit 100 Shot, CPRA made by CP, RK Sport Headers

Comment

yea def. wanna be over 3k rpms and moving before hitting it, lol
                          http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by slacker69:
                            I let my dad try a 100 shot on the street in my car he floored it from complete stop no stall or anything and bamm backfire shattered my airbot to 100 pieces and maf sensor gone lol only time i have had a backfire on my car
                            lol..damnnnnn!
                            <b>12 SECOND DUAL STAGE DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO<br /><a href=\"http://www.mysickcamaro.50megs.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.MySickCamaro.50megs.com</a><br />Best ET: 12.82@103<br />Best MPH: 104.7<br />Best 60\': 1.75 - Stock TC</b><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Originally posted by Shodown:<br /><strong>1DV6 runs 12\'s...enough said. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

My dad was like m scared of your car im never driving it again so that in its self was a acomplishment.
                              <b><a href=\"http://www.sick-sixx.com\" target=\"_blank\">SICK-SIXX MEMBER</a></b><br />NA 14.345 with a 1.863 60 foot<br />Nitrous 13.03@99.5 with a 1.63 60 foot<br /><br />2000 Camaro 3.8L A4: USE TO HAVE Comp Cam 210/220 .535/.547 113lsa 111 I/C, Port and Polished Heads, NX Wet Kit 100 Shot, CPRA made by CP, RK Sport Headers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X