I need new aftermarket head gaskets after a 150 shot, any ideas? (pics included) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need new aftermarket head gaskets after a 150 shot, any ideas? (pics included)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need new aftermarket head gaskets after a 150 shot, any ideas? (pics included)

I blew the Felpro's last night. I have been spraying a 100 shot for a while now. I tuned it and then thought, I wonder what would happen if I spary 150? So, I adjusted the timing and went for it. It pulled great but unfortunately, the head gaskets (both) decided to quit the program. The cooling system became pressurized and it blew the cap off of the radiator. I can't find any damage to the internals of the engine but I do NEED to upgrade the head gaskets. Any ideas?

Head damage

[ September 06, 2004, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Jerriko ]

you probaably lifted the ehads tehn blew the gaskets, invest in some quality ARP studs and the felpros will probbly hold just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiago:
      you probaably lifted the ehads tehn blew the gaskets, invest in some quality ARP studs and the felpros will probbly hold just fine.
      I had installed new factory heads bolts during the rebuild. I take it that even brand new head bolts would stretch, especially compared to the ARP studs. Is this something that happened to your 3.4L with the turbo? If so, did it hurt the heads?
      Even so, is there no company that makes performance head gaskets for the 3.4L?

Comment

go with ARP studs. As for teh gaskets there is no point spending alot of money the felpros will hold if the heads don't flex. There isn't anything else out there anyway for nitrous. Copper head gaskets are pita.

Comment

Hey Tiago, I tried looking up the ARP stud kit for the 3.4L. They don't seem to have one listed. You wouldn't have the part number(s) for the kit you have lying around, do you?

Comment

ARP-2334303
            ARP-2334003

www.ftpp.net

Comment

Originally posted by Nachius:
              ARP-2334303
              ARP-2334003

www.ftpp.net
              Outstanding, thank you.

Comment

Yup, those should work, along with felpro's

I still run stockers.

Why not go from 100 to 125 instead of such a huge leap?
                Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
                nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
                2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
                2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

Originally posted by 12secondv6:
                  Yup, those should work, along with felpro's

I still run stockers.

Why not go from 100 to 125 instead of such a huge leap?
                  I really wasn't planning on jumping to 150s at all. I was just curious on what the engine would do. At least I know I am doing the tuning right since it didn't detonate. :rolleyes:

Comment

those fel-pros are just like the stock gaskets, you should buy some MLS gaskets, they will hold way better....also i think it would be a good idea to pull the motor and deck the block because u drove it far enough to warp the deck....that would prevent it from happening again...
                    <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

Is that coolant on the piston? Thats traumatizing. It makes my stomach clench to see the engine piss all over itself.
                      ---Niño---<br /><i>95\' silver 5 spd</i>

Comment

Actually, I think most of the antifreeze on that piston got there when I removed the head and coolant poured out of the head. The deck isn't warped but the heads were. I just talked to my machinist and he said that they were 'twisted' and off by about .020" each. But they passed the mag test with flying colors (ie no cracks). Weird thing was that the oil seals on the valve guides for the exhaust valves were all brittle and broken. ???
                        Hey, wicked, where can one find these MLS gaskets? Price?

[ September 08, 2004, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Jerriko ]

Comment

Intense Racing
                          Cometic MLS Head Gaskets
                          Code: HGP-0xx
                          Price:$139.99

ZZP also sells them "custom size" for about the same price.

Comment

Cool, keep us updated on the progress!
                            Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
                            nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
                            2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
                            2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

Originally posted by 12secondv6:
                              Cool, keep us updated on the progress!
                              Ok, but I'm not sure if I will be doing anything else to it this year besides getting it running. The motor creates a slight vibration that I think is being caused by the motor being out of balance (even though its suppose to be balanced). It just has that feel. But who knows, I do have a couple months left before the tracks close. I did run a 13.8 @ 103 on the dyno at school. I started spraying after i shifted into second gear. But I don't trust that number since its on a dyno and not the track.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Vladimir Gecko
                                Low Voltage
                                by Vladimir Gecko
                                I recently ran into a problem where when I drove my battery gauge showed low voltage. I compulsively replaced the battery and it was still doing the same...
                                1 hour ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                5 days ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Little work today
                                by ssms5411
                                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X