cheapskating a wet kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheapskating a wet kit

Ok well I'm almost done installing my wet kit but I have to sell my car in a month but I want to spray it just a couple times. My car has 63000 miles and I just did a tune up: oil, oil filter, tranny fluid and filter, fuel filter, and PCV valve. Now I'm getting cheap and don't want to replace plugs and wires. Once I get my misfire problem fixed I plan on spraying on what I've got in there right now. Any real danger in spraying maybe 50 shot on stock plugs/wires a few times?
    7\"TV, DVD player, WW ground effects<br />2800 stall, aluminum DS, NX wet kit<br />15.39 (G-tech) stock w/3.42 LSD

...and I already know James's take on this. lol
    7\"TV, DVD player, WW ground effects<br />2800 stall, aluminum DS, NX wet kit<br />15.39 (G-tech) stock w/3.42 LSD

Comment

I ran the 5175 kit (85 shot) for a while with stock plugs and wires.

...but...

I had to regap them to .045 otherwise it had a bad miss/cutout on top end.

Now I run the ngk tr6 plugs, and still on stock wires. 150 dry shot.
      \'98 A4 Camaro v6-&gt;v8 conversion, and STS kit next<br />v6: 13.6 Powerdyne, 13.2 150 shot, 13.8 120 shot, 14.3 85 shot, 15.7 stock<br />v8(na): 12.18@113, 392rwhp<br />Moderator on <a href=\"http://www.mtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.mtfba.org</a> and <a href=\"http://www.frrax.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.frrax.com</a> (Road Race & Autocross)<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/johnduncan10\" target=\"_blank\">Car pics</a>, <a href=\"http://www.trscca.com\" target=\"_blank\">TN Region SCCA</a>

Comment

hrmm 15 dollars for plugs or 500 for a new motor my god dude its only 15 bucks for some ngk tr6's just get them and spray and dont worry about it

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by slomaro:
          hrmm 15 dollars for plugs or 500 for a new motor my god dude its only 15 bucks for some ngk tr6's just get them and spray and dont worry about it<hr></blockquote>

He summed it up........

Don't cut corners..... new engines cost MUCH more $$$$ than plugs
          Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
          nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
          2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
          2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by John_D.:
            I ran the 5175 kit (85 shot) for a while with stock plugs and wires.

...but...

I had to regap them to .045 otherwise it had a bad miss/cutout on top end.

Now I run the ngk tr6 plugs, and still on stock wires. 150 dry shot.
            <hr></blockquote>

I bet that miss/cutout at top end was from detonation.. You could use the stock plugs and regap them to .45 but you would be able to spray it that much.. Just be carefull a 50 shot can destroy your motor just like a 250 can!!
            Jeff ..
            1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
            2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
            1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
            http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

The $15 isn't a problem for the plugs, I'm not really cheap on the money (well that too) but I just don't want to put in that much work. Changing plugs on a firebird (even my 95) is the worst thing I have probably ever done. It is sooo frustrating and I'd imagine the wires are just as bad.

I guess what I was wondering is if going without new plugs/wires could damage my motor or just take away from the nitrous's performance. I guess I'm taking a gamble then.

[ July 23, 2003: Message edited by: 6shooter ]</p>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 6shooter:
                The $15 isn't a problem for the plugs, I'm not really cheap on the money (well that too) but I just don't want to put in that much work. Changing plugs on a firebird (even my 95) is the worst thing I have probably ever done. It is sooo frustrating and I'd imagine the wires are just as bad.

I guess what I was wondering is if going without new plugs/wires could damage my motor or just take away from the nitrous's performance. I guess I'm taking a gamble then.

[ July 23, 2003: Message edited by: 6shooter ]
                <hr></blockquote>

With Nitrous your always taking a gamble.. hell your Fuel pump might stop pumping for a second and You melt some pistons.. You can have every safty device hooked up, the best fuel system, and stil there is a risk in using nitrous.. Not as big as a risk as before but its still there.. With the plugs a wires you have a bigger risk then if you change to NGK's or even regap..
                Jeff ..

Comment

hmm... so on these ngk tr6 plugs, lets say i wanted them. think i could just walk into auto zone and tell them to give them to me? or would it b more complicated then that. on a related note, i kno very little about this area. not really a nitrous question, but i bet someone in this area knows the answer

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by v6camaroloser:
                    hmm... so on these ngk tr6 plugs, lets say i wanted them. think i could just walk into auto zone and tell them to give them to me? or would it b more complicated then that. on a related note, i kno very little about this area. not really a nitrous question, but i bet someone in this area knows the answer <hr></blockquote>

Do you plan on running Nitrous?? If you are these plugs are for you.. If not dont get them.. I think Autozone deals with NGK.. They might have to order them..
                    Jeff ..

Comment

yeah, im planning on running nitrous if i can ever get around to getting all the stuff installed. i had to work 2 jobs to b able to afford this ish, and now i'm so busy with them i don't have time to put it in. once i do though, it'll b cool. only $500 for a new engine though? that doesn't sound too bad.

Comment

but having it dropped in and bolted up probably costs a little more.

Comment

Any of our sponsors have them.

Explore that route.

Somehow I think we may see a post later this year mentioning a blown motor.... do not cut corners
                          Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
                          nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
                          2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
                          2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X