Governor + Nitrous = ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Governor + Nitrous = ?

I'm pretty sure this belongs in Nitrous forum..

The speedo reaches up to 115 REALLY fast..(115 mph on a 3.4) Once it hits 115 MPH, I guess the governor kicks in and drops the RPMs and slows down.. :mad:

Insn't the Jet Chip Stage 2 suppose to remove the governor?!? ..that question I'll ask in another forum..

Anyways, for you running nitrous...what happens when the speedo gets to the MAX..does the tach bounce of the redline? Does it keep jolting back and forth? This is all for an Automatic btw..

I want to run Nitrous soon..but it seems pointless if I can't get passed 115 MPH. And one more question..what are some MUST CHANGE things before Nitrous? I know spark plugs would be one..and getting an a/f gauge..are headers a necassity for a 75-85 shot on a V6? What else should be purchased besides what comes in a kit?

[ June 29, 2003: Message edited by: Camaro_SLP ]</p>
    94 Camaro 3.4 A4 <br />T-Tops<br />In the process of an LS1 swap.

Nitrous and speed limiter = fuel cutting out, engine running lean, potential BOOM!!!

Plugs are a must.
    WOT switch a must.
    FPSS a must.

Intake, exhaust, guages, bottle warmer and so on compliment the nitrous system
    Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
    nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
    2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
    2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

i was just gonna say that. i hate governers.

Comment

Also engine running to high an rpm with or without N20 is bad too.. make sure your motor can handle 6500-7000 before you push it there.. Its always good but not a must to have a full free flowing(headers, high flow cat, cat back) exaust and intake with the spray..
        Jeff ..
        1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
        2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
        1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
        http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

Isn't jet chip and nitrous a disaster? I remember reading somewhere its a very bad combo. I think I posted this in the other post to.

Edit: I knew I read it somewhere http://www.camarov6.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=3&t=000412

[ June 30, 2003: Message edited by: camaro_speedemon ]</p>
          <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

camaro slp...
            i think the limiter on your car will react the same as mine (99 3.8), it just gets to 118 and just holds steady, no jolts or bouncing.

and its definately not pointless to run n2o with a limiter, in a quarter mile you wont get anywhere near 115, maybe 100, thats about where im at, so its not that big of a deal with the limiter.

and the headers arent necessary, but will help, i ran a 75 shot for a year with no headers, i just got some put on but havent juiced it enough times yet to get a feel if there was any difference, and since your grttin new plugs, buy some 8mm wires too. make sure you get a hiflow cat or bypass it, if not youll prolly melt it!
            later,<br />alan<br />1999 bright red v6<br />3800 series III<br />208\\210 comp cam<br />3000 stall edge tc

Comment

The governor limits injector pulse to keep you at 115 or 118. It's like hitting a rev limiter, but not quite as severe. Not too long ago at the track I hit the rev limiter on my 2-3 shift spraying and lucked out with no problems.

Comment

Don't listen to them...

I think it will be disaster.

On a 3.4L it doesn't hold you there on my car it just as if I let of the gas and wind the gear down, for about 2-3 seconds till I slow down then it kicks back in. I think it has the potential(especially on older cast aluminum pistons) to cause a boom.

And jet chip stage II, and nitrous do not mix. J4et chip advances the timing while nitrous likes the timing to be retarded.

My thoughts are maybe trying a inline toggle switch to the VSS. Someone tried just running with the VSS unhooked and it took away the speed limiter, but also would cause the car to stall out , at idle. My thoughts are jsut flip the switch the speedo goes dead (who cares if you are going faster then 120 you are pegging it) then you can keep on going, but the speed limiter and juice can be bad, it will cut the fuel to the motor and you will lean out.

But like said you may not be hitting the speed limiter yet, unless you are seriously modded or you have gears and the speedo isn't recalibrated(with my 3.42s, I top out at like 105)

Comment

just cut off the nitrous before you hit the governer....

bam. problem solved :cool:
                  96 Camaro M5. Dark metallic gree (?dont know the offical color name)<br />Home made Intake :: Headers, 3inch headers back to Flowmaster muffler :: spec stage 3 clutch Now installed, waiting for 3.42\'s and LSD next month<br /><a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/RiceEatingCamaro/?action=view&current=newcar.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a> <br /><br />Totalled Car.<br /><a href=\"http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/k/sk8er305/\" target=\"_blank\">96 CamaroRS</a>

Comment

exactly tyler [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
                    oh and yeah i reccomend taking off the jetchip if you use n20, i had to do that too.
                    later,<br />alan<br />1999 bright red v6<br />3800 series III<br />208\\210 comp cam<br />3000 stall edge tc

Comment

what about fuel pressure saftey? don't most of the nitrous systems shut off automatically if the fuel pressure is less than adecuate?

Comment

Yeah, jet chips and nitrous should not be used together! 2 forces working against each other. Yeah, your car can go boom.

Guess who's doing it though? Me. :D I normally use 93 octane to give myself a little cushion against detonation, and recently stepped up to 103 as a precaution during this warm weather. Probably not needed because the timing is being retarded anyway this time of year. I can't go above the 50 shot while using the chip though. Got that from NX tech line during 2 separate conversations. They say that pulling out 2 degrees would be enough. If my MSD box was working, I could get away with bigger shots, no problem. Gonna rewire my harness, then retard the timing 4-6 degrees like Jet says to do.

Not the smartest thing to do, but I like my chip, and only use Nitrous at the track, which is like once a month, if that often. I could take the chip on and off, but would eventually end up breaking it. It's just plastic.
                        <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aalugo2000:

and its definately not pointless to run n2o with a limiter, in a quarter mile you wont get anywhere near 115, maybe 100, thats about where im at, so its not that big of a deal with the limiter.

<hr></blockquote>
                          Take a car programmed with 3:08's
                          Add 4:10's
                          Speedo is off 25%
                          At a true 85 mph the speedometer would read 118 mph

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Sorry to be nit picking
                          Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
                          nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
                          2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
                          2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X