Chemistry 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chemistry 101

Nitrous oxide consists of 2 nitrogen atoms combined with one oxygen atom. Nitrous oxide is an oxidizer so it will not burn if subjected to a flame. However it does an outstanding job of contributing to the combustion process and making horsepower. Early experiments quickly learned that when compressed in a tank above 760 psi the gaseous nitrous turns into liquid. When this liquid n2o is released the lower pressure tranforms the liquid nitrous back into a gas but reduces its temperature at the same time dropping it to -127 degrees F.
    This is the first advantage of nitrous oxide. Before the oxygen can contribute to the combustiong fuel in the cylinder, just releasing the gas into the intake manifold radically reduces the inlet air temperature as much as 65 degrees which can be worth about 6% in additional power. Typically 1% for every 10 degrees. At this point, in the intake manifold, nitrous is still a combined molecule. Once it finds its way into the combustion chamber and is subjected to a temperature of more than 572 degees F the chemical bond that holds the oxygen and nitrogen atoms together dissassociates and that single oxygen element is free to combust more fuel.

Some parts taken from chevy high perf
    Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
    nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
    2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
    2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
    New Owner!
    by LETZRIDE
    I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
    4 days ago
  • ssms5411
    Little work today
    by ssms5411
    Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
    2 weeks ago
  • LETZRIDE
    Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
    by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
    Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
    By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
    Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
    02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
Working...
X