nitrous safety edumacation please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nitrous safety edumacation please!

A compressed bottle of nitrous is seen as explosives to me. I'd never leave the bottle in my car if I ran nitrous (only track use). I know some of you have your bottles mounted in the spare tire well....

what happens if someone hits that rear 1/4 pannel in an accident and punctures the bottle?

In other words, are there risks taken to run nitrous at all times?
    1994 Camaro 3.4L M5 R.I.P.<br />You know what they say- a small engine means big... errr... e/t\'s<br /><a href=\"http://www.pbase.com/rrj72/the_accident\" target=\"_blank\">www.pbase.com/rrj72/the_accident</a><p>replaced with: red 97 A4 vert (my brothers as soon as i find my REAL replacement)<p>soon to come: 1969 RS/SS<p>\"All you need are the esentials: scented candles, massage oil, and Berry White write that down.\" -Van Wilder

This site will really help
    http://www.go-fast.org/z28/new_to_nitrous.html

Comment

Nitrous is not explosive.
      It is an oxidizer.
      It supports combustion.
      You could walk right up to an open fire and open a full bottle and put the fire out.
      Can the bottle rupture from being hit, yes.
      If by chance someone hit you hard enough that it ruptured the bottle then you would have a bottle with roughly 1000 psi, don't worry about the nitrous, its the pieces of the bottle that would hurt!!!!
      Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
      nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
      2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
      2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

Ok that sounds better 12sec... I will probably never spray until I'm living on my own and have more then 1 car because the last thing I need to do is fry my engine on my only source of transportation!

Thanks for the link MrCoffee
        1994 Camaro 3.4L M5 R.I.P.<br />You know what they say- a small engine means big... errr... e/t\'s<br /><a href=\"http://www.pbase.com/rrj72/the_accident\" target=\"_blank\">www.pbase.com/rrj72/the_accident</a><p>replaced with: red 97 A4 vert (my brothers as soon as i find my REAL replacement)<p>soon to come: 1969 RS/SS<p>\"All you need are the esentials: scented candles, massage oil, and Berry White write that down.\" -Van Wilder

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 12secondv6:
          Nitrous is not explosive.
          It is an oxidizer.
          It supports combustion.
          You could walk right up to an open fire and open a full bottle and put the fire out.
          Can the bottle rupture from being hit, yes.
          If by chance someone hit you hard enough that it ruptured the bottle then you would have a bottle with roughly 1000 psi, don't worry about the nitrous, its the pieces of the bottle that would hurt!!!!
          <hr></blockquote>

oh that sounds comforting. so instead of being burned to death by the explosion, you would have pieces of shrapnel flying through your skull
          ;)

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
          Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

yes shrapnel would suck! so for those guys who mount your bottles in the spare tire well or even the back T-top well, please be careful on the road if you leave your bottle in at all times. If/when I choose to run nitrous, it will go between the rear seats at the track only. Now if that shrapnel were to puncture the gas tank... then you've got a combustable problem on your hands. Of course I'm talking pretty bad scenario's but I'm one of those types of people who expects/prepares for the worst and hopes for the best so....

Comment

We live on the wild side. You should too. Quit being such a whimp and get juice.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by pgriffith:
                We live on the wild side. You should too. Quit being such a whimp and get juice.<hr></blockquote>

Uhhh... no thanks. This POS is getting sold and I'll be running a 5.7 N/A

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by C.Palmer:

Uhhh... no thanks. This POS is getting sold and I'll be running a 5.7 N/A
                  <hr></blockquote>

if I can sell my nova I'd be lookin to buy a 3.4 5-speed camaro
                  Wolf<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/249111/7\" target=\"_blank\">95 black t-top camaro</a>,3.4 5 speed,ud pullies,plugs/wires,de-shaft tb & gutted airbox, homemaid short throw shifter

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                    New Owner!
                    by LETZRIDE
                    I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                    4 days ago
                  • ssms5411
                    Little work today
                    by ssms5411
                    Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                    2 weeks ago
                  • LETZRIDE
                    Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                    by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                    Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                    By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                    Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                    02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X