Miles and nitrous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miles and nitrous

How many miles is considered too many to star using nitrous. I currently have 86k on my car and was wondering if that is too many.

Thanks
    2004 Mazda RX-8 <br />Winning Blue Metallic<br />6

Probly matters more on how it runs. If the car is not running 100% perfect nitrous will make it worse.

Comment

Well the enigne seems to be in good working odred right now. No SES light and everything seems to be very responsive. Im sure that there has been some wear though over the years. How do I check if the enginge is 100% or not?
      2004 Mazda RX-8 <br />Winning Blue Metallic<br />6

Comment

Do a compression check and the basics like tranny fluid change and flush radiator the basics but the compression test should tell you if your block is soild but once again you can greande a new or a old engine the same way.
        <b><a href=\"http://www.sick-sixx.com\" target=\"_blank\">SICK-SIXX MEMBER</a></b><br />NA 14.345 with a 1.863 60 foot<br />Nitrous 13.03@99.5 with a 1.63 60 foot<br /><br />2000 Camaro 3.8L A4: USE TO HAVE Comp Cam 210/220 .535/.547 113lsa 111 I/C, Port and Polished Heads, NX Wet Kit 100 Shot, CPRA made by CP, RK Sport Headers

Comment

At about 60,000 miles the piston rings begin to wear and compression leaks follow. Definately do a compression test and after nitrous use if your car seems to get worst definately stop or go out looking for a low mileage motor.
          1995 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L <br />TA front bumper, TA rear bumper, 98-02 Honeycomb tailights, GM Ram Air hood, 2k C5 18X9.5 Corvette rims all the way around, custom autoloc shaved handles, camaro two tone interior, silver badging, clear front marker lenses, RK sport headers, gutted cat, dynomax dual exhaust, Rear disc rearend, Richmond 3.73 gears, Zexel torsen LSD, Cross drilled front rotors, 2 12\" MTX thunder 8000s, Clarion 400W amp, MTX 5 1/4 <br />Components, thunder 4262 amp, pioneer head unit, Hypertech power programmer (Yes it does exist)

Comment

Who does compression checks and how much? I assume you can't do it yourself.
            - JT3<br />1998 Red V6 Camaro Y87 Y3F - J.E.T. Chip Stage II - Clear Parking Lights - Removed Grill - K&N - Whisper Lid - !FRA MOD - MAF Screen Removed - Pro 5.0 - Pacesetter Headers - Magnaflow Catback - 32mm Front Swaybar - And A System(bump bump)

Comment

If you want to do it yourself, get a compression tester, put it in a spark plug hole, crank on the engine. Preferably disconnect the spark or fuel so it doesn't start with the compression tester in the spark plug hole.

Doing one cylinder gives you a general idea. Ideally you would do all the cylinders, since head gaskets, rings, valve seat condition can vary from cylinder to cylinder, and if you measure one good one, and have one bad one, you'll never know...

Doing all the cylinders involves similar work to changing all the plugs, so it could be a real chore.
              \'98 A4 Camaro v6-&gt;v8 conversion, and STS kit next<br />v6: 13.6 Powerdyne, 13.2 150 shot, 13.8 120 shot, 14.3 85 shot, 15.7 stock<br />v8(na): 12.18@113, 392rwhp<br />Moderator on <a href=\"http://www.mtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.mtfba.org</a> and <a href=\"http://www.frrax.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.frrax.com</a> (Road Race & Autocross)<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/johnduncan10\" target=\"_blank\">Car pics</a>, <a href=\"http://www.trscca.com\" target=\"_blank\">TN Region SCCA</a>

Comment

Miles and nitrous.....
                How does it run now?
                Fuel economy?
                Tune up?
                How has it been driven it's life?
                Basically as long as it is running fine, good fuel economy, no missfires, no smoke etc then go for it.
                I would start with a complete tune up and change every fluid.
                Then you might want to change 02 sensors also.
                Then if you start juicing start small.
                If you ask me I'd juice anything if I could :D and who cares on mileage :D
                Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
                nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
                2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
                2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Vladimir Gecko
                  Low Voltage
                  by Vladimir Gecko
                  I recently ran into a problem where when I drove my battery gauge showed low voltage. I compulsively replaced the battery and it was still doing the same...
                  1 hour ago
                • LETZRIDE
                  New Owner!
                  by LETZRIDE
                  I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                  5 days ago
                • ssms5411
                  Little work today
                  by ssms5411
                  Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                  3 weeks ago
                • LETZRIDE
                  Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                  by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                  Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                  By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                  Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                  02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X