carbon or plastic whisper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carbon or plastic whisper

seems like i heard somewhere that plastic whisper lids flex & wont seal well after a while, has anyone heard about or had a problem like this, im wanting one for my 98 & trying to decide which one, is it worth the extra coin for the carbon fiber one? i was originally thinkin bout the plastic one cause i thought the carbon fiber one would be prone to cracking, but if the plastic one will warp, then maybe cf would be the way to go? thanks for any insight yall can give me

Re: carbon or plastic whisper

carbon fiber warps too i am not saying the lid does.. but carbon fiber in general can warp... if its thin.. i dunno how thick the lid is.. but my FIPK has CF end caps on it and K&N had to replace it once already..
    2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
    1991 3000GT VR4
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

my slp lid is carbon fiber, i ordered a reg one but they sent me a cf one cause of backorder. looks great, i havent any problems with it yet.
      1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
      1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
      1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
      2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

Isn't the carbon fiber one just an overlay/paint? Or is it really carbon fiber? What I garnered from the whisperlid site is that it just looks like that.

Comment

my c/f whisper looks great, works great, and is still going strong --- i say go for it.
          pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
          gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Carbon fiber is really strong if it's real carbon fiber. Its also amazing with heat. I was at a party and noticed a guy had a carbon fiber muffler on his bike. I asked him about it and he said he can touch it as soon as he gets off the bike. I'd love to get some carbon fiber pipes for my turbo setup on the intake side but they're really costly.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

i have a plastic SLP lid - installed for 2yrs, now. i've had no problems with it keeping the seal. i haven't even needed to use the weatherstripping that came with it.

Comment

Originally posted by checkbit View Post
                i have a plastic SLP lid - installed for 2yrs, now. i've had no problems with it keeping the seal. i haven't even needed to use the weatherstripping that came with it.
                So, how do you know it's really sealed?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I have never heard of anyone having issues with the 3.8 lids. You will be fine either way but good luck finding a new one, you will need to most likely find one used because whisper doesn't make them anymore
                  http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

i think you can still grab either style from hawksthirdgenparts.com

got mine there back in the spring.
                    pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic

Comment

ok, thanks, i'll try hawks, meanwhile, i went to whisper's web site & shot them an e-mail, when &/or if they answer back, i'll let ya'll know something, from what i've read on here the ls1 lids won't work, also noticed they show a different lid for the '98 (v6) model, which is what i have, wonder what the differance is? anyone know of another company that makes a lid for these cars?

Comment

if you were holding your breath waiting to hear from whisper then you'd die first man.

the '98 style tb is angled, so the lid has to be fashioned with an oh-so-amazing duct tubing to get it to connect. the 99+ styles are a straight shot to the tb and have a solid structure.

check out hawks, when you get to the lid section for 3.8 you can choose between the 98 or 99+ style, so make sure you do that. or just call and order and they'll ask which one you need (and also if you want c/f or not)

the ls1 lids can be made to work, i've seen a few around, but as far as efficiency goes get what was intended to be there and save yourself the trouble.

sigpic

Comment

so whisper's not real big on customer service 'eh? appriciate the heads up ya'll, i checked out hawk's they only showed 2 options & both were v8 lids, man, i've been hot roddin for 20yrs now & thats the story of my life, i'm always "hunting" something that is made of solid "unubtanium"-lol!
                          Last edited by heavychevy383; 09-06-2009, 07:44 AM.

Comment

wow ur right man, i just got on the site and they took the 3.8 lids off --- looks like they might have finally run out of stock.

i'll keep surfing around for another place with them, keep an eye open for a private sale on here in the meantime.

sigpic

Comment

thanks man, 'priciate that, i'll keep my eyes open

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X