deeper tone on a 3"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deeper tone on a 3"?

my exhaust is stock except for a 3" straight-pipe and its pretty loud and it sounds all ricey when i step on it. Im looking for what almost everyone else has but im not sure on what to get. Just looking to reduce how loud it is and give it a nice deep tone without hurting hp. Im looking for opinions on mufflers that would do the trick cz im kinda broke to go for a complete catback system; a link would be helpful if possible. ive searched and so far dynomax super turbo mufflers is what im leaning to but looking for opinions. thanks

Re: deeper tone on a 3"?

Dynomax superturbo muffler its what i run and its what i love the only exhaust i can stand on these cars...
    2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
    1991 3000GT VR4
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

ive got flowmaster 40s on mine and i think they sound pretty good and deep
      Last edited by RPDRed6; 08-31-2009, 06:57 PM.
      Robby
      2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 V6

|JET Chip|Flowmaster American Thunder|K&N Intake|BMR STB|Spohn Rear Sway Bar|

http://speed-bros.com/
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by vr4gasm View Post
        Dynomax superturbo muffler its what i run and its what i love the only exhaust i can stand on these cars...
        could you direct me to the muffler i would need? link? thanks

Comment

you get what you pay for sir, track down a deal on a borla muffler or get a xr-1 setup and you'll have a smooth deep tone, little rasp, and quiet ride.

then throw a cutout in that b!tch and open it up lol.
          pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
          gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

ok so now i have a little question....how do u measure the size piping u have. Do you just measure from one end to the other (diameter) im assuming its that. Not asking this to sound stupid but bc i went to measure the diameter of my tailpipe and it was 2 1/4" and i specifically remember asking the shop to do 3" so unless im measuring wrong i just got ripped off.

Comment

im assuming thats 2 1/4" right?

Comment

well did they do 3" from cat to the muffler? if not where did you tell them to put it?
                auto, aluminum driveshaft, Fast Toys Ram Air, !air silencer, smoothed lid, Pacesetter shorties, 2 1/2" exhaust, !cat

New Time:
                15.11@91.14
                Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

I had a flowmaster 40s series with a high flow cat sounded horrible once exhaust oxidized or whatever you call it high rpms the backpressure was disgusting, finally dumped money into headers and the was the missing link no more ugly ricey backpressure there is when i hit like 4500+ grand rpm but its not the ugly sound actually sounds pretty good but dont make mistake i did only get ceramic coated.

Comment

Originally posted by firebird19_99 View Post
                    ok so now i have a little question....how do u measure the size piping u have. Do you just measure from one end to the other (diameter) im assuming its that. Not asking this to sound stupid but bc i went to measure the diameter of my tailpipe and it was 2 1/4" and i specifically remember asking the shop to do 3" so unless im measuring wrong i just got ripped off.
                    you definitely dont want a 3" tailpipe after your muffler. even with a full 3" exhaust (like mine) you'll want your tailpipe diameter after the muffler to be smaller. your stock piping should be 2 1/4, and you'd definitely be able to tell if your shop put in a 3" setup bc it should be very tight going over the axle.
                    pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic

Comment

i havent put the muffler on, last year i got a straight pipe installed and i asked for 3" piping but what it looks like its only 2 1/4" Im asking for someone to confirm that its 2 1/4" and not 3" so i know what size inlet i need the muffler to be which i still have to purchase and get installed.

Comment

can you not jack up the car and look?

sigpic

Comment

x2 on Borla. I bought my Borla at Wicked Nickys for about $75 shipped (single in/out both 2.25 and an Ansa resonated tip). About 1,500 miles on it and it keeps sounding better. No rasp either...

Comment

Originally posted by BallerMaro13 View Post
                            can you not jack up the car and look?
                            your right i could bt i assumed (not knowing much of exhausts) that the size was constant throughout

Comment

Originally posted by firebird19_99 View Post
                              your right i could bt i assumed (not knowing much of exhausts) that the size was constant throughout
                              so you have no mufflers or cats? just a straight pipe back?

a borla-xr1 is def what your looking for, cut/wide that sucker in somewhere maybe before the rear axle and dump it right there. thats what i have on mine.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Borla/Borla-XR...44683/10002/-1

take a look at that link
                              1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
                              1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
                              1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
                              2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X